What keeps Spitfire libraries from being shared/leaked online?

Discussion in 'Software News' started by jgagne1, Apr 29, 2013.

1. jgagne1

jgagne1 Newbie

I was just curious about this as pretty much every other Kontakt sample library finds its way onto audioz.info. Wondering why that is. Does Spitfire have some type of copy protection that other Kontakt library developers don't know about? What makes them different?

3. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

why don't you email spitfire and ask them, i'm sure they will tell you! :rofl:

4. jgagne1

jgagne1 Newbie

?

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i saw something - but well we wont talk about warez here - ok?
    ill keep the topic open ... but ill watch it.

6. jgagne1

jgagne1 Newbie

Right, to be clear, I'm just wondering if they have discovered a way of copy-protecting kontakt libraries -- since as far as I knew, one of the reasons other devs such as East West and Best service switched to their own engines was to avoid people sharing their libraries. Is it simply a matter than nobody has put any spitfire libraries online yet? Or do they have their own proprietary way of stopping people from warezing their stuff?

7. ELpH

ELpH Kapellmeister

From what I've read Spitfire uses Continuata watermarking (Google it), the same as ProjectSAM, SampleLogic, SoundIron, Orchestral Tools, Heavyocity, and Cinematic Strings.

I think the only thing preventing these from being everywhere is supply. No one that owns it has shared it, and if they have, it just hasn't gotten to us yet.

On the topic, someone was just requesting a wallpaper for Spitfire Solo Strings the other day, makes me wonder.

8. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

ELpH is correct and nobody who has officially paid for it has unofficially shared it (yet). If you are willing to pay, I am willing to share. :wink:

9. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i can tell you so much - ive seen it on a pass-protected FTP. when the time is right - we will see it maybe ...

10. jiemayn

jiemayn Newbie

oh I have all their libraries... and honestly they are OK .... idk why but its kind of amazing what the previews look like.... kind of like movies... you see the preview but the movie sucks... i even saw the big sessions they had in London... and its so big that it makes all my DAWs freeze... its a big file and other libraries sound similar. Just to be honest. Even the Iceni libaray was ..eh...

11. damncas

damncas Newbie

no point the water marks are just to stop reselling of the raw samples it doesn't effect your production cracked or not you can simply still re sample any sound they have people are still trying to crack nexus 2 i have all the sounds re samples in kontact format

12. jgagne1

jgagne1 Newbie

I'm trying to understand what the "watermarks" do. If Joe Sample were to buy a Spitfire library and put it online, would the water mark serve to inform Spitfire that HEY JOE SAMPLE uploaded his copy online. Wouldn't he get into deep shit in doing that? How do the various uploaders of libraries get around that?

13. jiemayn

jiemayn Newbie

well they remove the watermark... serious crackers know how to do that or they buy it with stolen credit cards, download it with a stolen computer at a wifi spot where they wear hat and sunglasses to avoid accidental cameras. Its all in the black market handbook i think

14. jiemayn

jiemayn Newbie

that way if they release it even with the watermark the company cant trace who did it, and is SOL

15. ELpH

ELpH Kapellmeister

You're just talking nonsense. That would involve opening the .nkx files, unpacking the .ncw/.wav files, running them through a process that edits the audio stream, and then completely repacking them into the .nkx archives.

--MODERATION NOTE-- THE FOLLOWING INFO MIGHT BE INCRIMINATING FEEL FREE TO EDIT OR DELETE THIS ENTIRE POST IF YOU FEEL NECESSARY

For a little bit of real information:
    I have friends who's libraries (yes even 8Dio watermaked libs) have been leaked into mass upload without any editing or scene release, and nothing happened to my friends who have this done.

Not only that, but their accounts are still active to download updates of those libraries at their respective sites.