What Is Your Preference For Learning?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by J Addison, Feb 1, 2017.

?

Your Preference

1. Video Tutorials

58.8%
  2. Reading

41.2%
  3. Audiobooks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. J Addison

J Addison Kapellmeister

I learn more from reading so if I had to pick one it would be that. Audiobooks are good for when you're on the move, but I find I don't soak up as much information as my mind concentrates more on my environment. Videos are good too but always find I don't learn as much from them.

What's your Choice?

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

Reading. You can read at your own pace, fast or slow.

With audio/vidya, you're forced to learn at THEIR pace, how THEY present which may mean mulling over basics too many times and skimming through the juicy bits in a flash. Rewinding & scrubbing takes effort & time.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  4. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Reading. For sure.
    Other than hands on experience the only other thing that works is writing down what I read/do. Not on a laptop. Pen on paper.
    I remember sitting through lectures and leaving my tape recorder on. I could recall the things I heard but would have to rewind and playback frequently. The notes that I took I would consistently remember without having to look.

It's like I was marking and imprinting on the fabric of space around me. Or muscle memory catalyzing actual memories. Whatever.
    Read and take notes.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

I read a lot, that's for sure, but I prefer video tutos since I am a very visual and auditive guy. Even if it is often repetitive, I can always skip the parts I am not interested in. I like Groove 3 videos because they are usually separated in small chapters so it's easy to skip what's not of interest.

Like Pinkman says, I take a lot of notes by hand while I'm watching the videos so it is easy to refer when needed. But again, it's amazing how It remains impregnated in your memory when you take time to write something down.

The counter part of video tutos though is the difficulty of decrypting some very strong accent in some speaker's language.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  6. I learn better by reading and writing it in my in my own hand. When I was younger that was all I needed to do in order to get perfect grades. Memorization has very little to do with functional ability though. I have a friend who has a photographic memory. Every single thing that he has ever read in his entire life is at the tip of his tongue ready to be repeated verbatim, however he could not spit back the words that I prompted him to say to the girl that he wished to ask out on a first date. Likewise, understanding counterpoint and melodic construction makes not for a piece that comes from the heart and can move people's feelings.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  7. Raffz

Raffz Member

Combinating videos with writing down important stuff you learn from it, as mentioned, is what works best for me. I think while reading may be easier to set your pace, in videos you have a certain control with skipping, coming back various times to point of the video, checking the enviroment the video is recording (e.g. a daw showing a synth, you can check how a guy sets certain settings, idk, stuff like that), etc. And of course, there is no best way, the way that works for you is the best.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

ussualy what happend to me is when watching some interview or reading something simuler, or watching a tutorial etc. - i ussualy stop at some point pretty early on, when i either have enough information to go as experiement/test/work with it. or that i just get so inspired of something that i get into the zone asap.

in the past,i used to read all the way thru, or watch all the way thru, before i started. but alot of times i didnt even start anything.:woot:

9. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Reading as that's what I'm used to since before YouTube existed. I tend to remember much more finer detail without having to take any notes. After that, videos. But, as when I was in school, I have to be focused 100% on the speaker. Active listening is what I've called it. I found in school that if I paid attention to the teachers in class, I could pass the tests without the repetitive drudgery of homework.
    I say audiobooks last because for some reason, it's harder for me to focus without visual reinforcement. Except for music, of course.

• List
  10. G String

G String Rock Star

Learning?

Being British, I prefer to buy a newspaper and let some rich idiot tell me what to think instead. They tell me it works.

11. metaller

metaller Audiosexual

video for sure
    no body can be a good guitar or piano player with reading how to play
    also for our stuff the sound makes difference. the thing that is not present in reading

12. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

:woot:

I learned how to play guitar reading notation.

I love video and all but fair warning, it has never been cost-effective to publish non-information on paper. Virtual space is sooooo much cheaper to manufacture.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  13. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

Mel Bay method! :guru:

• Love it! Love it! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

I read manuals and watch video tutorials.
    When I first started out I would follow along the video tutorials and mimic their methods in my DAW. Sometimes when the speaker was too fast or the subject too foreign to me, I would slow the playback rate down so I didnt have to keep pausing and rewinding.

Nowadays when I watch video tutorials I dont mimic it in my DAW like I used to. I usually play them at double speed now until I see a juicy tidbit of knowledge and bookmark it for later reference. Then at the end, I review my bookmarks. There is so much bad and conflicting misinformation out there these days but being much wiser I am able to discern the gems that are hiding in all the tutorial filler.

Reading manuals and ebooks on the tablet is how I fall asleep most nights. I have them cued up.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  15. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

I learn best by software which does my learning for me.

16. foster911

foster911 Guest

Burn all the tutorials (books, videos, etc.). They're usually anti-production and just wasting of time.
    Just rely on your own experimentations inspired by your own thinking.:bleh:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  17. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I prefer living breathing instructors when it comes to instruments and getting a basic grasp on things, at least for your first 2. After that they are all the same, if you can read music and anywhere near normal intelligence you can figure it out.

Once you know what you are dealing with book and experimentation are more than sufficient, video is nice but move so slow.... ugh

18. Pinkman

Pinkman Audiosexual

Who are you and what have you done with @foster911 ?

19. safran5020

safran5020 Platinum Record

reliefsan
    Your avatar is cool :)
    Yo man !

20. G String

G String Rock Star

One clever trick: learning backwards.

Not my fabulous insight, but Edward de Bono's (he of "lateral thinking" fame)

Invariably people are taught (and learn) A, B, C, D......1,2,3,4......1x3=3, 2x3=6,3x3=9

The new information comes at the end of each rote. And gets further down the chain all the time.

Better to do it backwards.

Z

Y Z

X Y Z

W X Y Z

The new part comes at the start, and leads into the already imprinted stuff....rather than the other way around.

Try it when learning a muscial piece? Start with the last note, not the first.

• List
  21. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

Neither, it's practice.