What is your go to drum kit?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Finalxboss, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Finalxboss

Finalxboss Newbie

I'm curious about what some of you guys go to drum kits are. Doesn't matter if it's edm or Hip Hop, but with so many drum kits out there I'm wondering what some of the most popular ones are.

Thanks

3. reliefsan

reliefsan Audiosexual

homemade kits:wink:

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

My Vintage Rogers kit.
    [​IMG]

Naw, jk. I usually pick the best bits from different packs.

• Like Like x 6
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  5. LHO

LHO Ultrasonic

6. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

I don't work on nor create electronic styles or hip hop but if I did then I'd be going for a sound similar to the greatness that RZA created on Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers). Also would borrow some elements used on Illmatic, Those two albums are masterpieces in my extremely humble honest opinion :)

7. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

It depends on the feeling so I make them as I go

8. sir jack spratsky

sir jack spratsky Producer

fidocks studio.jpg i use a handmade tasmanian blackwood kit by stephan fidock.....sheer beauty

Last edited: Mar 7, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love it! Love it! x 2
    • List
  9. Death Thash Doom

Death Thash Doom Platinum Record

Very dapper Sir, I would love to get the opportunity to get together and sample those shells in depth as kits of that quality, essentially unique one off/one of a kind sets are not exactly common to just stumble across as I'm sure you know perhaps more so than I do myself.
    I have been quite fortunate to know and call some top notch players friends and also capture quite deeply sampled DW, Pearl, Yamaha, Noble & Cooley, Gretsch, Sonar, Trick, Pork Pie and Mapex kits among others. None have been handmade of Tasmanian Blackwood though! I like the sound of that before hearing it, Same as I do say a lovely slab of swamp ash for a guitar body and quartersawn Candadian hardrock maple for a neck, Maybe a nice example of splated for a top/cap and Maple of the roasted variety for a neck and/or board. I'm enjoying Blood Wood also as I explore things after the CITES laws have made Rosewood, Which is a tonewood that most of my electric guitars feature on the fretboard, It's on the back and sides of a few acoustic guitars of mine also. It has smacked almost all traditional instrument builders, brands, owners looking to sell...etc. It's a nightmare but thankfully plenty of other more than suitable wood varieties are around...I'm not planning on trying to sell any of the instruments of mine which feature rosewood anyway, I do not envy those that are going to be, It's brutal, Gretsch and Premier seem to have more rosewood shells from what I've seen/come across.
    Actually speaking of Tasmania, One of my favourite bands are Tasmanian and depending on what sort of taste/styles one is into, There are only a small few that are able to play at the same level of intense, heavy/extreme technical metal specific which He's mastered.
    The one and only Dave Halley is whom I speak and of none other than Psychroptic \m/.
    I do not play myself, I'm just an audio engineer and live sound tech as well as playing the guitar and bass guitar for a longer than that. Due to circumstances, I program the drum tracks my own stuff as I am unable to put in any commitment to playing in a band, Being on the road is not an opinion as a fulltime, Single Father of two, Heck even getting chance to do my own thing is tricky, I'm also very much part-time in the studio and even more so at any live venues.
    Still, As I had my two Children very young, It will not be many years now until they are more young adults than teenagers, So I should have plenty of mileage left in the tank, The funny things is as many of my friend's we're living without a care in the world as I was struggling it has now changed somewhat whereby they are all just recently married and having Children of their own whereas I had done that or it was just about to hit me like a ton of bricks for better or worse when I was 17, I can't say I regret anything or I'd not be who I am but nor would I suggest to any young guy in the latter part of their teenage years going a route similar to one I myself did!
    I shall be certain to seek out Stephan Fidock's craft along with seeking out the finest examples of player's demonstrating what His craftsmanship, Dimensions, Wood choices...etc. deliver.
    Nice one sir jack spratsky and sending you my best regards along with having piqued my curiosity, Cheers fella :bow:

All the best :wink:

Dean

10. inusable

inusable Producer

Addictive Drums are very versatile for vintage acoustic drums and vintage electronic beats.
    Sonic Couture Konkrete for IDM, glitch and futuristic beats.
    Vengeance packs and Native Battery kits for average EDM.
    GHXST kits and different other kits for trap music drumkits.

And random million other ones...

OH, and many foley sounds too (many homemade ones and downloaded ones too), this is the essential thing for modern beats.

11. DARDARDAR

DARDARDAR Newbie

Kontakt Revolution , Roland 808 and 909 emulations by roland , Addictive Drums 1and 2 and Nerve

12. salmino

salmino Newbie

13. dashfiss

dashfiss Kapellmeister

You shouldn't use a "kit" imo, compile a new set of perc samples for each song, it's gives the best result imo, and it doesn't have to be a lot of work if you know your sample directories ;)