What is your favourite M/S Processor?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by RedThresh, Nov 9, 2016.

1. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

So I was looking for some new M/S processor (any kind), because for some reason my Brainworx V2 doesnt work anymore (audios glitchs/stops at loading, bx_meter works though (thanks god)), and realised it is kind of hard to find any.

So, what are you guys using as M/S processors for mixing/mastering? (No need to mention brainworx/izotope ofc, also using Pro-Q2 as basic linear M/S separator)

3. TK

TK Member

As a simple MS matrix you can use Voxengo MSED, I think it's also free. As for equalization any EQ with MS function.
    On the 2bus probably SPL Passeq 80% of the times.

4. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

I like bbe, Fab Multi comp and DMG limitless..

5. Batoumba

Batoumba Producer

up until a few days ago i was still using the classic copy paste the sound in 3 separate channels inverse polarity/mono/pan l+r on the two for side and keep the one in mono for mids , +2channels passing sides/alltogether them through stereo. At least i was sure i was getting the result i wanted. However since the August Waves bundle came out i've found myself been using M/S in Waves Abbey Road REDD plugin http://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/waves-abbey-road-redd

6. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

I am really loving the new UAD Zener Limiter in M/S. The new Curve Bender EQ also runs in M/S. They both sound great and are tons of fun to use. Speaking of Softube I hope in their future updates of their Mutator plugin they build in a M/S switch. Another great one is the Vertigo VSM-3, so nasty, useful/useable and such powerful mix shaper.

7. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

Waves Abbey Road is very nice. I would also add some Softube plugins to be considered.

8. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

BaxterEQ

9. I am a little confused or perhaps ignorant when it comes to mid/side processing. Classically what has been done and what I have been doing is to use two different microphones, a figure 8 picking up the width if the room with the capsules at a 90% angle to a cartioid expressing the depth with mostly up the center information (different cardioid mics exhibit different eq responses the further from the midpoint of their patterns, and this will inform the final representation when the microphones are combined later in processing; not all cardioid mics are created equal...and about the figure 8, there is a strong null between the side to side reach, a dead spot whereas frequencies are heavily attenuated and what the other mic is picking up in its absence). And so by copying the recorded figure 8, panning both the original and copy hard to either side while flipping the polarity of one of them, and with the cardioid right up the center, a wonderful representation of the sound source in relation to the space it was captured in can be achieved. As an added bonus this picture of sound will not break down in a phase apocalypse when heard in mono.

Please someone tell me how a synth that is not recorded with this technique, the real world, can benefit from a software plug in that is only dealing with perhaps it's signal created in the confines of cyberspace.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. tulamide

tulamide Audiosexual

Haha, just one fundamental question, and all remain silent.

Well, I never used m/s processing for single instruments. I use it on the master bus vis eq, especially to adjust the reverberated sound and give it more depth (or less, depending on the song). m/s stereo field correction (the second application) is very important, since, as you mentioned, a synth can behave unnaturally, and you don't want to have 110 Hz spreaded over the whole stereo field. That were only two simple examples, of course.
    It's not so much about creating space as it is about adjusting what's already there.

11. digitaldragon

digitaldragon Audiosexual

I've used MS mic technique and love the sound and width control/flexibility it offers. I usually use MSED to get that to stereo. Also, it's built into my preamps. (ART MPA PRO II). I don't think the questions is regarding the mic'ing technique, though.
    I need to research this more. It's probably a fundamental thing that I should be looking at in my mixes.
    I wish I could find some notes that went "When You Have This, Use This To Fix It" for producing! :yes:

12. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I either have a duplicated inverted figure 8 mic track, or also use an ART MPA Pro II to matrix. For my drum overheads I love using mid-side. Cascade Fathead II for Fig.8, usually a Shure KSM137 for middle mic. I often add some Aphex Aural Exciter to the Cascade ribbon fig.8 side tracks later.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

M/S mic'ing is quite nice, with its "pseudo stereo" (that gets totally canceled in mono). Good for radio broadcasts.
    For studio work I prefer Blumelein and 90 degree X/Y though, depending on the source/room/stage/width/depth.

My favorite M/S processors are ApQualizr (M/S and dual mono EQ) and Presswerk.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2016
  14. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Is this a serious question? Are you asking what is the purpose/benefit of being able to eq/compress/mix the center or the edges of a signal independently?

At the risk of not appearing offensive enough, I think you are confusing a "technique" with a "result". It is 2016, we have computers now, certain tasks do not require doing things the hard way. It frees up our time so we can come on forums and say obnoxious things to other people that have devoted our lives to doing 99% of the same things with our time, money and life force.

15. Like I said, I was ignorant of that technique of using mid/side proceasing in the mix or on instruments outside of microphone capture. It's nice to know you have my back. Your kindness overwhelmes me, again.

16. ClaudeBalls

ClaudeBalls Producer

Sorry, I read it as a lecture + sarcasm.

M/S processing in all these plugins is one of the big leaps forward in computer assisted music making. I avoided it for years myself out of stubbornness.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  17. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

18. It's all good and I apologize if my words were so easily misconstrued as to warrent the comment, sincerely.

19. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

Easy, by taking the factors u just mentioned and recreate them in a plugin.

when one takes all factors in good consideration, there should not be any phase issues. If you don't want that.

20. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

Although actually step 2 in my M/S to Stereo process, I really dig Roland's R-Mix (or the R-Mix Tab app).
    It's somewhat like a spectral editor, except you can also select sounds by stereo position.
    Not unlike QuikQuak MashTactic by the way.
    r-mix.png

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  21. RedThresh

RedThresh Producer

Thank you all for all the suggestions, gonna try all those fellows

Additionnal question, when doing M/S Separation/Process in a Mastering of some bass heavy/synth heavy electronic musi at 68bpm, what is your typical Mid - Side Ratio? I cant find a good balance bewteen the two