What is up with these new symlink installers?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Rayth69, Feb 3, 2018.

1. crecy

crecy Rock Star

The difference with these symlink-no install is that instead of a regular installer which puts all the different files of a program to the parts of your computer where they belong, with symlink, you do it yourself by simply extracting and putting the files where they belong.

It took me a while to try because it seemed very complicated, I wasn't sure I understood well all the steps and don't have enough computer experience, but I realized that you don't need to use any of the .cmd things and all the rest.

Simply extract the 7z archive, go in the C and program files folders and cut or copy the contents to the C program files and where ever else they need to go on your computer.

One big advantage was in the case of the Arturia bundle, the original installer was incredibly long, whereas with symlink, it took but minutes to extract and simply place, and at the time, I hadn't done the R2R changes to my host file, and with symlink, I didn't have to. Sometimes there is a .reg file to double click, but most of the time, it's just extract, place and it is ready to use.

If you think about it this way and bypass all the complicated instructions and steps and just do it, to extract and place the files, you'll see it works. I would recommend these symlinks.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  2. talkytina

talkytina Newbie

So what is the proper way to uninstall symlink stuff? I don't see mine under Your Uninstaller.

Also, can you run symlink vsts off a usb flash drive?

3. crecy

crecy Rock Star

You will have to go back to the same folders where you put the files and delete them manually. There won't be a registry entry unless you needed to double click on a .reg file as part of the authorization process.
    Yes, you can run vsts from a drive, but you will have to use the .cmd and know how to name the location on your drive that has the folders-I haven't done it yet, but look it up, there's good quick info online.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Remember that symlink releases are "no install" releases.
    That means that if you use the install.cmd the only thing it does is:
    1. The equivalent to copy files. This is done creating symlinks so it's done in tenths second. Symlinks are like super shortcuts.
    2. Sometimes introducing some registry entries (.reg files)

Then you have an uninstall.cmd file that does the opposite.
    1. Delete the symlinks
    2. Executing a reg file that empties the entries of the other .reg

If you want to use the .cmd files (highly recommended) you have to edit them (notepad, any text editor) and change:
    1. "(current user name)" by your Windows user name.
    2. the path you use for vst2 plugins. the default is
    "c:\program files\vstplugins"
    so if you have it in "C:\program files\steinberg\vstplugins", for instance, replace it

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  5. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

didnt kno bout monitor in revo...pretty cool....

6. The Mazeman

The Mazeman Kapellmeister

Boy, why is my c drive getting filled if these are portable and claim to keep all the files in the same place ?

7. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Probably you have them in some folder of the C drive

8. The Mazeman

What I understood was that extracting is not important, you have to edit the cmd file. Right ?

9. The Mazeman

Update: If you can edit the windows registry, these no install releases are the greatest thing ever created for plugin portability !!!!!!!!!