what is this shit !!! seriously Cubase ?

Discussion in 'Cubase / Nuendo' started by David-93, Mar 28, 2021.

1. David-93

David-93 Newbie

hey guys
    i try to automation volume in cubase i draw that and i extra zoom it i find this bug :woot: [​IMG]
    you can see it it not match with grid :rofl:whatever we did, we could not fix that with grid :snuffy:

instead in ableton we do the same it perfectly match with grid [​IMG]
    guys is there any tip for fix cubase bug ?:disco:

3. raps

raps Member

Check your autofade setting? I don't know where it is as I don't have Cubase but the setting should be there

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

Logic sometimes does things like that when you have Snap set to relative values, and other little mistakes.
    I'd be very surprised if this is an actual bug in Cubase. It would have already been encountered.

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

looks not like a bug to me, bcs the speaker monitor has two values, on and off.
    and the other one looks fine aswell to me.

6. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

It's not a bug, all DAWS smooth values in order to automate without having a discontinuity, this is simple mathematics. A function must to achieve continuity. Ableton shows automations in straight jumps but the actual sound is smoothed, just like FL Studio, Cubase, etc. Cubase instead, shows the actual smoothed automation

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • List
  7. altair033

altair033 Ultrasonic

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

This is to avoid clicks. It's coded like that, as a precaution (no bug). Just the way zero-crossings cuts work. Fast amplitude changes (or any fast automation changes) produces/introduces clicks.

If you are into IDM and glitchy stuff that intentionally uses (and take advantage of) clicks then you can turn off "cut at zero-crossings" for audio cuts, but you can't disable the fade in/out of fast automations, unfortunately. The automation inertia is hardcoded into the DAW.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  9. jishnu

jishnu Kapellmeister

Try disabling the 'snap to zero crossing', its a button you have enabled right next to the snap button. Like Baxter said, its to avoid clicks.

Might be something in the automation panel too, if you have changed it. Theres some complex settings in there that i wouldnt mess with :P

10. Hennessey

Hennessey Platinum Record

Apparently It is not a bug. If you zoom in timeline to 1 second range you will see perfect snap to grid, but if you zoom in further more, in values less than 1000ms, between that on/off automation dots you will now have curve smothing/bending option for that 1/1000ms value change,which is not available in 1second zoom range. That is new also to me, just found out, but never had problem, rather it is a very good thing against clicking, crackling etc.

Comparison wise, you should turn Ableton timeline to ms (if that's possible) , but not to bars and beats, just to be able to zoom in max, then this comparison will make sense. Because of that simple and "hidden" things I simply love to love Cubase, it is really advanced music production system.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  11. glassybrick

glassybrick Producer

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOeP4ysyc_4JUOZkv2nnayGSS8vx8DYwq

12. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

if the first point is set to 0., it can not be set to 1. at the same time.

or in other words: the second point can not share the same time position with the first.

13. Obineg

Obineg Platinum Record

parameter jumps can only produce clicks when an audio process doesnt care about that itself - which is normally the case - and introducing a linear ramp of 1 sample or 1 millisecond would otherwise not change much anyway. ;)

14. No Avenger

No Avenger Moderator Staff Member

Well, before watching any ((non)-scientific) explanations, I asked myself, what's with sample accurate mute and un-mute? Isn't this possible either?

I dragged a sine wave into Reaper and made two fades, 0dB to -inf and -inf to 0dB.

This is how it looks (top row = source, middle = automation, lower = render) on sample zoom
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't have an editor which shows any kind of fade. These two automations are applied from one sample to the next. In case of doubt try yourself with Reaper. In case you dont have it

Attached Files: