What is the most effective ad blocker for Firefox?

Discussion in 'Software' started by DarylDixon, Dec 14, 2018.

1. DarylDixon

DarylDixon Newbie

As the title states i am looking for the handiest ad blocker/s. i have ublock beginning and abp, but, since the today's firefox replace they may be almost vain. Can all of us reccomend me one?
    Thanks to everyone who replied... https://showbox.bio/The problem was with firefox as I suspected. If anyone has the same problem it's a case of going to the mozilla site https://mobdro.bio/ and instead of downloading the program click the link next to it which says something like 'refresh firefox' (this does clear some https://vidmate.vet/ personal info but gives you a backupfolder to download) Then clear your cookies. After this my ublock origin has been running just as it did before...Thanks again everyone

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  3. mithat

mithat Noisemaker

Previously I was a fan of ABP, but after so many issues with current sites, moved to AdBlocker Ultimate. Works fine for quite a time.. Hopefully it will last :)

4. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I use ABP and Poper Blocker because AdBlock doesn't prevent from popups. Poper Blocker works really great in what it's meant to.
    I just recently discovered that ABP is the culprit of slowing Firefox, after start it takes 5-10 seconds to load the first page. I haven't replaced it yet but I remember that already tried uBlock in the past and it didn't convince me somehow.

5. Nightmix

Nightmix Producer

uBlock Origin.

You also need an "anti adblock" blocker. This is when sites detect that you are using an ad blocker then limit or disable your browsing until you turn your ad blocker off.

For Chrome/Chromium, there is Nano Defender.

For Firefox, Nano Defender only works with version 60 or above (or browsers based on the version of Mozilla that Firefox 60 uses), and is not installable from addons.mozilla.org, but from GitHub.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  6. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I'm actually using Addblock Latitude, works perfectly. But I use PaleMoon, which is a bit different from Firefox.

7. KidPix

KidPix Producer

8. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I also needed something anti-adblock blocker, and now I tried this Nano Defender but when I tried with Rockfile and doesn't work. I don't use ublock. Do I need to change from ABP to ublock to make this Nano Defender to work? or is there any anti-adblock blocker that works with ABP?

9. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

ublock origin + nano defender + ghostery

i can load from rockfile with ublock origin turned on and nanoblocker

10. Omman

Omman Ultrasonic

Tried a lot of them settle for ublock origin + ghostery and they work very well.
    Also using Firefox multi-account containers so that my open tabs don't interact with each other.
    Each tabs as it's own highway to the internet..very good.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  11. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

Really? I tested it a moment ago. For my system it costs 1 second more with ABP enabled to load the first page.
    But may differ from system to system.

13. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

It's been happening for a few months.
    OSX 10.11.6, Firefox 64.0 (it just updated a few days ago, so earlier versions had the same issue, too). mid-2009 MacBook Pro.
    I have only 3 extensions enabled (ABP, Poper-blocker and Free Download Manager). If I disable ABP, FF opens and loads immediately, even with the other two extensions. With ABP enabled FF hung for 5-10 seconds before opening the first page, be it any kind of simple page.
    I googled then and found countless forum posts, comments about this issue.
    First I suspected FDM but it doesn't cause anything negative on performance.
    I emphasize that it hadn't happened in the past, only for a few months.

14. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I also suspected the DNS server but as it didn't happened in the past with the same ISP with the same config, that's unlikely the cause.

15. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

I installed this combination now and my short-therm experience is mixed. It blocks anti-adblocks well, that's great but element blocker funtion is less effective then ABP does. And starting FF is not clearly faster at all. It still hangs for a few sec but not clearly in one step as with ABP that hangs before starting to reach the domain.
    However my biggest problem is the element blocking. The best example is on sister site main page the 3 annoying and animated text banners (LinkSnappy, nordVPN and Coinmama) that are CPU hogs, above the fresh and archive releases. I guess that's why I ditched this uBlock in the past. First time I load sister site, uBlock doesn't remove these elements. I have to reload the page to force it to do so. Must be a problem with the timing, even if FF still hangs at the beginning, uBlock is still slower to be up and running to block these elements before the browser loads them.
    I'll give it a few more days testing then I decide if I return to my previous setup with the lack of anti-adblock option.

16. twoheart

twoheart Audiosexual

As I'm really a bit mad about speed, I did some testing on how Firefox starts on my system.
    I disabled all Addons and placed a link to the Amazon.de frontpage.
    Now I started Firefox (def. browser) and stopped the time between klicking the link and the first load of Amazon's content (not the full page but when Amazons page first appears).
    And I wanted to know, if when I use more than one blocker time they use sums up.
    Here is what I got:

None: 2.76
    ======================
    uBlock: 3.54
    Ghostery 3.73
    PopBlock 2.76
    ABP 6.02 <---
    ======================
    Ghst+PopBlk 3.86
    uBlk+PopBlk 3.54
    Ghst+uBlk 5.38
    Ghst+uBlk+PopBlk 5.39
    ======================

When I start Firefox with ABP or Ghostery they both seem not to check anything when I open a link the way I described. Thus they seemed to me to be very quick at first. But when I start them freshly enabled, they behave normal and use some time.
    ABP is slowest and if you're like me, it's a no go. :no:

Poper Blocker seems not to add to the starting time significantly.

uBlock in conjunction with Poper Blocker seems to me the best alternative to ABP.

17. jazzzz

jazzzz Platinum Record

Your result matches with and shows my experience as I described above. Ghst+uBlk+PopBlk takes almost as much as ABP. Still less but due to the elements glitches, doesn't convince me.

Edit: sorry, I meant I have loaded Ghst+uBlk+Nano Defender. As I disabled Poper-blocker in this combination because the others must do its job, shouldn't they?

18. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

in my case :ghostery blocker is disabled..ghostery just for antitracking...i got someonewhocares hosts file...similar lists to ublocker...maybe it saves bandwith

19. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

i dont use pop ub blocker i dont get any...
    nano defender i dont need...just tested it for rockfile ablity...which i dont need since debit site's

the thing is , ublock origin is the smartest and deepest.imho..fast in closing ad's too..

but as we kno in computing..lol...other set up could be fit better for other set ups
    but i have to say in this two apps i trust a lot : ublock and ghostery

i dont blv abp is good antitracker as ghostery...

20. wasgedn

wasgedn Banned

ublock is the only one which tricks sites....sites want you to turn off but they dont kno they want you to turn the blocker on heh heh..
    --------------------------------------------
    :dunno:###sticky threads are missin here#

21. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

Isn´t ublock collecting users behaviour? Thats what I heard? I don´t use anything, really don´t care, there´s bigger crimes than my downloading :)