What is the loudest limiter/maximizer you know?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Tag4rce7, Sep 9, 2015.

1. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

I don't think we're talking about music here.

2. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

There is no "loudest limiter'.

There are several ways to achieve loudness. Limiting is just one way. Maybe therein lies to problem for OP.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  3. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

with all respect, use a little common sense, the guy clearly stated that English isn't his native,
    He wants the loudest limiter around, if you used the same braincells u got when posting other comments which I do admire, (just like your skills)
    you would've understand that this guy wants a limiter that can be pushed hard without producing to much noticeable artifacts.

4. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Ok. I missed the mother tongue part, Kwissbeats. Sorry about that. English isn't my mother tongue either. ;)

What I mean (roughly) is that - if a track is badly mixed, it will be hard to achieve "commercial loudness" by just putting on a rubbery strap-on-limiter (no matter how transparent it is).

There are quite alot of musical limiters, many of which being hardware limiters. The plugins already mentioned are all pretty transparent and/or musical. Sometimes you want to work with dynamics in different areas (upward/parallel compressor, M/S compressor, compressor, expander, transient designers and limiter), both in serial and parallel. They all have their pros and cons.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2015
  5. Tag4rce7

Tag4rce7 Noisemaker

Thanks for your replies everyone! (Especially to Kwissbeats for clarifying my question)

I'm going to look at what you said. Also, I'm aware of dynamics and of the fact that without a good mix you can't achieve "commercial loudness". That's why I also bought a ton of books about mixing and mastering. I'm very interested about mixing, not only destroying dynamics :bleh:

But, yeah, maybe "loudest" was not the best adjective (is that how you say in English?) to describe the qualities I needed for a limiter ^^

Thanks everyone!
    Again sorry for english blah blah blah, Have a nice day!

6. midi-man

midi-man Audiosexual

7. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

Simple Dada Sausage Limiter Squeeze the Breeze to the Max

8. Mykal

Mykal AudioP2P

Fabilter is my go to

9. m2314

m2314 Member

I hate questions like this one... well every limiter can make your shits louder, some do so more cleanly than others... Is OP looking for louder without shit-ifying the things, or is this for some sort of sound design where shit-ifying may yield awesome results?

10. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

Each limiter do his own tricks :D
    Some will use several stages (ex : regular limiter + brickwall), saturation (peak limiting before brickwall), different algos (Pro-L, Elephant...)...
    The final trick is psychoacoustic. Because it doesn't reduce dynamic. There are a lot of efforts on the transients side, too.
    Some are clean (Loudmax), some are not (Elephant), adding some "mojo low mids" and "lush highs".

Download all what you can, and experiment :D
    You will be amazed how a simple different brickwall limiter can affect a whole mix. But will never make any miracle ;D

11. suite

suite Newbie

If you want to get your mix on radio or broadcast it wont be accepted unless it weighs in at -24 LUFS.
    This is overall perceived loudness from the start of the track to the end.
    So if you have a track that has 1 db dynamic range from start to finish and it weighs in at -24 LUFS it will actually appear quieter than a mix that has greater dynamics.
    This is law now and its for a reason. The equal loudness wars destroyed dynamics in music as everybody tried to get louder than everybody else.
    If its for a club, then you can make it as banging as you want. If its for the web you can do what you like , but just remember , people do have their own volume controls.
    Come on everyone, it`s time to recreate the world of musical dynamics... not just dense square waves.
    Just my 2 cents

12. ordjen

ordjen Noisemaker

limitaer.jpg Best Brickwall limiter that i know?