What is the deal with 64bit?

Discussion in 'PC' started by rickking, Mar 8, 2018.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Hello, if you took the time to read the parts of the thread where the tech is discussed you 'd know Weasel was correct, i ve said so too earlier.
    Why go to name calling my friend ? Please let's chill.
    When he wrote "you can use 64GB of RAM with PAE in a 32-bit OS, but that's just a side note, nobody really uses it for audio", it was obvious he meant if you need this much ram it would be because your audio app(s) needs it, therefore you would go for a full x64 system rather than a 32bit OS because even if you have this much ram, your 32bit app can't use it.
    Win 32bit may use up to 128gb of ram depending on the version, here:
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/aa366796(v=vs.85).aspx
    So the prob isn't the OS, but the apps. 32bit apps cannot address more than 3gb ram in a 32bit WinOS and 4gb in x64 WinOs, just like you said too.

2. Weasel

Weasel Ultrasonic

32-bit OS? And yes, 64GB is the limit for a 32-bit OS with PAE (Physical Address Extensions). An application won't, since it's limited to 4GB. But you can obviously run multiple such apps/processes, 16 of them in fact, at the same time.

Yes you can? What else am I supposed to say here other than you parroting random bullshit you read online? The 3TB is a BIOS limitation, and that's only for the boot drive. Not to mention it has nothing to do with 32-bit or 64-bit, it has to do with "older OS", like Windows XP, which doesn't use UEFI. 64-bit Windows XP suffers from the exact same limitations. That's because the boot process is limited to it, not the drive itself.

At this point I think it's time for you to prove your claims or shut up. Also there's a difference between 32-bit OS and applications.

And btw I meant that nobody uses PAE in audio.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List