What is the best use for your MIDI Controller(s)

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Sylenth.Will.Fall, May 8, 2023.

1. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Everyone who use them will come up with different ideas. Some as they were intended and maybe others will find truly original ways that nobody else has thought of, so my question is how do you use yours?

I've been messing about with different setups and found with just one controller, I can operate instances of Turnado, Echoboy, U-He's Fx, Shaperbox 2, Lexicon PSP42, Beat repeat, Looper, Black hole all on different channels that can be called up either singularly or in parallel as they are all on different channels, with all the best features of each plugin assigned to different knobs.

I have other controllers too that I have yet to really delve into but for now, care to share your setup with everyone?

3. fiction

fiction Audiosexual

I found two ways of using my controllers the most productive:
    One is to have a minimal set of knobs and buttons (4+4 or something like that) and map them each time I want hands-on control for the most relevant synth or FX parameters.
    The other is to have a more advanced controller with a fixed mapping that I can get used to (Faderfox to Ableton scenes, APC or NanoKontrol to mixer screen, DJ controller to scratch effects / kill EQ etc.)

Using larger controllers with different mappings hasn't proved any fun to me, it's not really a time saver because memorizing all the different layouts (especially with synths and FX) wasn't more efficient than just using the mouse on screen or fingers on a tablet.

4. Willum

Willum Rock Star

I've got an old mpk midi controller thats used to prop a door open.

5. OBKenobi

OBKenobi Producer

The best setup is... multiple controllers!

6. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I hope you're not clumsy like me then, cos I'd probably trip over it and break my arm or something.
    It depends on how you look at it. I see it as learning a new instrument but Instead of 88 keys for example, I have 24 knobs, 17 buttons and 9 faders to memorise.

7. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I get that, but how would you set them up. To what end?

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have a fairly simple setup where I use a Native Instruments Komplete Kontrol M32 as a desktop keyboard for soft synth and plugin control as well as to control external hardware instruments via the DAW. I use a Push 2 ín a similar way, as well as for sample and plugin effects control. And then I have a Korg nanoKontrol 2 that I use for mixing, panning, transport, and for CC control when using Kontakt libraries.

I do also have a Behringer Motor 49 that I sometimes use for an all rounder too, as it has the endless lit up encoders, motorised faders, drum pads, and full Mackie Control too, as well as being a 49 key keyboard. However, it's on the larger side, so is on the pull out shelf under my desk, whereas the others as more compact and on my desk for easy access and use.

I am considering a purchase of one of the Arturia Keystep controllers though, and maybe a Korg SQ Sequencer, specifically to control hardware synths.

Last edited: May 8, 2023
  9. Sylenth.Will.Fall

I have a Minilab 3 keyboard from Arturia. Somehow it always brightens by day when I play about with it, so I definitely know why you're considering an Arturia product.