What is the best DJ Controller for the Money?

Discussion in 'DJ equipment' started by Note Dropper, Dec 18, 2013.

1. Note Dropper

Note Dropper Newbie

I create music and I would like to expand into DJing for music creation purposes, doing live shows, plus DJing/VJing. I really don't like making mistakes and I feel this is the best place to ask to get honest, product tested advice.

I'm looking for pro/experienced, budget minded DJ's, to give their advice on, "What is the best DJ controller for the money?". Also, if you like certain DJ combos, or set-ups, please tell (Maybe certain DJ controllers have a better workflow when combined with certain DJ software, hardware, etc).

3. miklan

miklan Noisemaker

Hello Note Dropper,

this one below seems to be the best DJ controller for the cheese....
    [​IMG]
    More seriously, I'm not a DJ, But my Numark mixtrack Pro 2 give me the smile when I "play" with it (work fine on both Traktor & serato Lite)....

4. juan escajeda

juan escajeda Noisemaker

traktor s4, been a vinyl guy for years but this made me switch, i have nothing bad to say about this beast, you won't regret it

5. dway

dway Newbie

+1 Traktor 4 is the best!! If I still Dj'd i'd have one, but Iv'e switched to making music instead of playing it along time ago.

6. liam1895

liam1895 Newbie

There is absolutely no doubt either the Traktor S4 or S2.

If you are on a small budget though have a look at Numark Mixtrack or Novation Twitch. I used to own a twitch and it was a great piece of gear.

7. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

+ 1 for s2 s4

8. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

I owned an S2 and disliked its plastic feel, i hated screen droning (having to make sure everything was in order on screen rather than on-board the table), i disliked the non motorized platters. Numark Mixdeck. Or Some sweet Pioneer single decks with motorized platters and track/length indicators. I love Native Instruments stuff, but i was thoroughly disappointed with the S2. Rather flip 10s all day then touch a VDJ again.

If i went Virtual DJ its the Numark Mixdeck for the money and stability.

If you go for anything else go Pioneer. XDJ-R1 or the infinite classic CDJ (which works with ipods and computers too, just no screen droning).

9. Note Dropper

Note Dropper Newbie

Thank you everyone for your expertise. I checked out the DJ controllers suggested and they definitely are the best. They really got me psyched up. Interestingly though, my logic kicks in and I cant help but look at these DJ controllers, and then look at the midi controllers in my studio, and then think my midi controllers can do they same thing. My MV-8000 workstation/sampler and my 25 key Photon X25 seem like they could do what any of these DJ controllers do. I just watched 3 different tutorials on how to DJ and perform live, with Ableton Live, and all the instructors used keyboards.

I was under the impression using a keyboard was like driving a tractor on the road, and car in a field. There seems may be some debate here. Maybe a keyboard can be a better asset if actually mapped properly. Maybe DJing with Ableton Live is different. Apples and oranges?

This part of the topic hasn't really been delved into on the internet yet, and I would like to keep this topic open til this question is totally solved. I'd like to get some experienced producers to weigh in on this topic, and settle this topic once and for all.

10. dway

dway Newbie

You don't wanna carry your mv 8000 to every gig, you can dj with live but it takes alot of pre production set up before the actually gig, it's good to remix songs on. If you're gonna do a live dj gig in front of people a laptop and dj software can do the trick just take all you mp3's and go for it. If you have two laptops it would be better in case one stops functioning you can still play. all the other toys are just to make it more interesting. hell I've seen guys dj partys with an ipad or there iphone lol.

11. liam1895

liam1895 Newbie

If you are looking to just spin a few songs I would recommended just grabbing a DJ controller and using that. Once you start getting into mapping keyboards and samplers you start delving into something usually known as a live performance. Live performances are usually a lot more complex and require much more attention.

Don't get me wrong, it can be done but I would recommend a controller if all you are looking to do is DJ.

Feel free to ask should you have anymore questions!

12. OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef

OrganicSpaceRaisedMoonBeef Producer

People DJ with just Ableton Push or Novation Launchpad or Akai APC. Its preference. ALOT of people use ableton as a producer or dj. I personally hate ableton BECAUSE its used for that. I would not go to ableton for professional recording (mics, instruments, mixers, etc). And DJ'ing from ableton is MUCH different than what you spoke of earlier with DJ controllers. Ableton DJing is using music YOUVE made, DJ controller is typically other peoples music or maybe your own (but absolutely incomparable to Abletons DJing).

Apples and Whale shit. Not even of the same universe in my thought.

If you want to just spin tracks at a party or club or gig, Get a DJ controller. If you want to play and craft your own tracks and dj them then Ableton stuff. Leave the keyboard work for MAKING music not DJing it.