What is the best advice for getting drum track?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by venndi, Dec 29, 2016.

1. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

Hi

I try hard to make drum beats for my music, but it's too many option to make it easy.
    Do you know who record, or just make drum beats for money? I send him my guitar tracks and he record the drum tracks...
    Or what is your recommendation for this kind of problem?

3. mrpsanter

mrpsanter Audiosexual

What's your style of music?
    Did you try Superior Drummer?

4. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Kloud

Kloud Guest

If it about money Steven Slate the way to go :yes: Send him your tracks.

Seriously tho I guess u mean beats as in wav files or midi files etc. :dunno:
    There loads of different approaches I guess that depend on how much money your talking what your after etc
    could range from hiring a session muso thru to creating your own midi files, using a sampler to create your own sounds that not necessarily stereotypical etc, Layering samples and adding beats from midi controller etc.
    Nothing worthwhile ever that easy but you have loads of options.
    Depends on what sound your after and much, much more I guess
    Superior drummer like mrpanster mentioned is really cool in my opinion and u can do loads with it :yes:

6. venndi

venndi Ultrasonic

The music what I listen is death metal, melodeath, but also lately I like some hardcore bands. So generally metal.
    I use EZDrummer, it has a tap 2 find function, and I have a lot of midi beats, but just can't figure it out which is the right midi beats for the track.
    I gues the best would be the midi files. I'm not a professional at all, and I won't make money of my music...if I get the midi files, I just put in the DAW, then I mix it for myself.

7. Kloud

Kloud Guest

EZDrummer2 is a fantastic bit of software and u can do loads with it. :yes:
    Probably one of the best bits of software out there for such purposes imo.
    Try different things I guess. :dunno:
    Make sure to include your user library in the search option.
    Even with legit EZDrummer2 u can use all the optimised Toontrack midi files by simply unpacking the installer and including the midi files in your midi library. Works no problems.
    Some midi files are recorded by a drummer and have a more "human" feel too them where as others are programmed and don't and can sound sterile and flat.
    Is all about experimenting.
    Make sure you set up EZDrummer2 ins/outs for multi out in your DAW. There plenty of tutorials on how to do it.
    Also mess with your mixer and look into various routings etc for effects etc.
    Also check out the sound engine as in options to humanise as opposed to EZX optimized etc. The Midi arranger at the bottom of EZDrummer is real useful and great for auditioning midi files and producing a track. It makes the process real easy.
    With regards to the midi files themselves I guess get to know the various drum maps and positions. Keep in mind that certain midi files are optimised for use with EZDrummer2 and different midi files may not correspond and you may have to adjust the drum map.
    If you don't like the sound of the factory samples you can always mess with drum replacement software such as Drumagog and think about layering samples to create depth etc.
    I guess the most important part with regards to percussion is getting the "Human" aspect.
    Keep in mind that no drummer ever hits the skins etc at constant velocity levels at precisely the right time and therefore simply varying the velocity levels and offsetting the timing a little can produce great results.
    You can even use a midi controller to tap over the top of the beat itself as to offset timing a little or provide differing velocity levels.
    Then look into things like the mixing aspects such as parallel compression or NY Compression or using reverb and EQ etc to get the sound you want.
    Alter which mics are used and think about varying bleed levels and using reverb to create extra ambience
    Keep in mind also that you don't really want say all the frequencies of the kick etc conflicting with lower end of Bass and wiping each other out so analyse your frequencies etc and vary accordingly. Also look at the spatial aspects and mess with them or alter/reverse the phase and see what happens etc.
    Drum engineering is an art-form and certain people dedicate their whole lives to just that. I'm for sure no expert and pretty sure others here can offer loads of good input :yes:
    It's pretty interesting and mostly good fun in my own experience. There always something cool to learn tho and it's all about experimenting.
    Best of luck :bow::wink:

8. muaB

muaB Producer

just try to program your own beats! get your drum sample kontakt library and start making a simple 4/4 beat.

I can make you one if you want!

9. TW

TW Guest

Learn to programm your own tracks. Modify midis. You got a really nice vsti for that with ez drummer 2.
    It is fun and you ll learn a lot.

10. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Like others have already posted.
    Record your guitar track to a click track and start making your own drum track. Find one that is close and star modifying. No MIDI file is going to be perfect with your song, your accents, your breaks etc.

You're not gonna hire someone every time you want to record a song?

11. G String

G String Rock Star

There are packs of midi drum files, with titles such as "Heavy Metal", whatever, split into verse chorus bridge etc. Not perfect, but a good place to start.