What is real and not? (aka ATHESIM vs THEISM) (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MMJ2017, Apr 17, 2017.

?

are you atheist or theist?

Poll closed Nov 17, 2017.
  1. theist

30.8%
  2. atheist

53.8%
  3. in between: for example: Taoism/buddhism (god-less religions)

9.9%
  4. Both

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Divided by

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. "i don't know" + " i donm't know" + " idon't know" = God, souls, afterlife

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. I don't have the free will to answer this becuase i am a fictional charactor

1.1%
  8. the universe is a video game created by an alien

2.2%
  9. Vegan

2.2%
  1. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I want to believe as many true things and as few false things as possible.
    are you actually asking who cares if you believe false things? you asking what POSSIBLE events could take place from false beliefs concepts ideas?

2. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

not ONLY are you NOT clear you are doing it on purpose for some strange reason.

3. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I don't understand at all. Why< would any of those things happen in the first place. I feel, and I might not understand, that you go from knowing reality unprecisely - like we all do without precisely defining things as you welcome us to do (most of everydays act, like posting a letter are done thranks to a process called typification (A.Schutz, construction of social reality), we interiorize the things we learn and know in every day life and just apply routinely, but this typification of reality relies on social reality as it WORKS not in reference to its definition "for real" - to then acting completely and utterly bunker.
    Reality works, in our everyday life, even if we don't know things in their precise definition. The world doesn't explode, I mean the social world, we don't do the things that you describe (basicely a bit crazy things).
    That's why I ask why there is a need for your famous
    Because even without all that stuff the world is still in order, I manage to not fall into the situations you descrbe here (which again look like crazy people interacting)
    that doesn't happen either, unless I'm a crazy person.
    Can we not NOT define and map out the world like you would like us to without being crazy people, which most of us aren't ?
    If we can, why bother with your ways ?

4. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I'm sorry MJM2017, you edit your post a lot on the way. So some things I read after I've responded already to it. I know it's not to confuse thing, but then I have to go way back to quote you etc. It's a bit fastiduous, and I also sometimes ask things you have already answered, which obviously I wouldn't do if I had read what you wrote before I typed it ! I'm not doing this on purpose, I just went back three pages to reread what I thought I had already read, but you added stuffs.

5. The Dude

The Dude Rock Star

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I am not aware of any times i posted ,and you responded and then i edited again, if it happened it must have been if you responded quickly ,if it happened sorry,

7. Jim Stratos

Jim Stratos Ultrasonic

No my son, this is NOT my logic is YOUR logic. Let me remind you that I'm the theist and you are the atheist!!!!
    YOU believe that humans are just a bucket of atoms and particles by design!
    The above you reject are the ugly consequences you are trying to avoid even if you have to ascribe them to a dedicated theist like me!!!!
    Grow up and learn to live with that!
    You see, human bucket of atoms is convenient when you use it as an argument against God but pretty ugly when you are presented with the absurd consequences that no atheist or antitheist can bear...

It's pathetic....

Last edited: Apr 24, 2017
  8. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

"I don't understand at all. Why< would any of those things happen in the first place."

why DO they happen? why WOULD they happen?

because if a person thinks of anything , for which they believe to be accurate, yet is not ( no differentiation fiction and not fiction)
    to the degree that are false, yet base their response, actions, methodologies, communication, interactions on it actually being correct, situation will go wrong, in accordance to how wrong they are and how being wrong impacted what they chose to do with the initial false thought.

9. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I understand your pov. I don't necessary share it, but I understand. Thank you MMJ2017.

10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

""I don't understand at all. Why< would any of those things happen in the first place.""

here is WHY this situation would happen.

lets say you vising parents and they misplaced their medication, but only recognize that it is missing , they find themselves in that moment of time and in their thoughts thinking about it, a thought comes to their awareness the content of the thought is you stealing the medication, they follow no process to differentiate that truth value of the thought. they have it they go with it, because another thought follows that they have no other explanation, they dont know of another reason and they dont question the truth value of you actually stealing vs their internal story in thought. because they have the thought and accept it ( they dont differentiate that some thoughts are false about reality)
    they come up with that you stole it and are lying and they kick you out and think of you as a thief from now on.

11. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

That's a poor situation. I've acutally known things like this (not regarding medications). It's very hurtfull to be the victim of a mistake, to be wrongfully accused.
    I understand you would want to avoid that.

12. Jim Stratos

Jim Stratos Ultrasonic

Talmi about the reality and whether is real according to scientists check these (there are subtitles and especially TED video has French subtitles).

Pure Physics, Mathematics and Biology.

13. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

Why not ? I will check those. Thank you.

14. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

LOVE ted talks

put more like that ;D

summary of top video,

human experience is NOT accurate with reality. ( on its own)

15. Talmi

Talmi Audiosexual

I apologize if I've missed questions from you farao. I have no reason to hide what I think. Your conceptions of things would be interesting too. It's mostly MMJ2017 pov that we get to contemplate, so far not yours so much. I regret that.
    Fot your question. Religious people act on their religiousness in the realm of SOCIAL reality (at least I think most of them, or I guess it would be very chaotic, but I can't really answer in a way since I'm not religious). The ones I know. They are almost, to me and that's a skeptic pov, "rational" believer, in the sense that they both want to believe but also to appear as rational being since usually they don't believe because they hear voices or have visions, it's just an arbitrary act of faith. Even belief evolve in a way, not in its object (God), but in the environement it evolves in. Less and less believers believe in "miracles" for example, they will say it's an allegory, etc. But i'm also guessing that's a truth of french catholic believers (which are mostly the ones i know), pretty liberal at that, and I suspect some religious people are more traditionnal.
    They have beliefs, and I don't share them just like I don't share many philosophies of many people, still I don't think they are crazy, and as long as they don't burn" witches", or stone people non believers, I'm fine with them. In Europe, they don't do that. I think it has to do with what's in the Bible,, in French they say "Rendons à César qui lui appartient", which means "Give to Ceasar what's his". Basicely I guess it means that the law of where they reside must prevail, on matters that relates to this earthy life. The priest takes care of the spiritual kindgom, the rest is up to human law (and not science). Sorry about all those details I did a bit of sociology of religion back then.
    The problems you're talking about are mostly residing in the USA. In France there is a minority of Christians that act as you describe, but the law of the republic applies to everyone, rpoblems are rare even if sometime sides argue. For example gay wedding. It was a legislative battle, some catholics fought it, but once the law was passed, everyone applies it without problems.. There isn't more religious people breaking the (laic) law in France then non-religious people. But that' s in France. We are famous for not being open to religion, because of the way our laicity is.
    Maybe where you live all religious people are sabotaging the country

16. electriclash

electriclash Guest

this thread blows
    racc.jpg

17. Jim Stratos

Jim Stratos Ultrasonic

Mind you Rupert Sheldrake is a respected Scientist...

Talmi, check this one too.

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Thank YOU for your wonderfully comments.

19. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

by respected do you mean rejected? ( i have following his work before he did work (early 90's philosophical talk) throughout his career i study his work i like him but he hasn't demonstrated anything but i want to see if he will)

20. Jim Stratos

Jim Stratos Ultrasonic

Your anxiety is obvious...
    Since you say you like him take note what he says.