What is "outdated" when it comes to sound?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by kooper, Apr 13, 2018.

1. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Good answer.

2. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Yep and if you know what you are doing with it, it can be downright cutting edge, and entertaining!. Word!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

32 bit software is lazy and runs poor it has poor ram allocation. ( i lie there is this program i wrote in the 90's i still use haha its dos though)
    i mean of course there are exceptions to this "rule" if you wanna call it that lol

oh, whoops there is one product i helped with development that i use 32bit ( vst plugin) damn your making look like a fool now! (https://www.dropbox.com/sh/lfkfeaztwdtqrp0/AAB4Jfnilc7s9xg7aUILNycqa?dl=0

Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  4. nobodyspecial

nobodyspecial Platinum Record

if it doesn't sell :)

5. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Did you mean to ask 'Which VST tools are outdated?' I don't understand 'when it comes to sound' because sound is ambiguous the way you have used it. But for me, DRUMS are the most outdated noise in music. They don't seem to change, even with electronic music and all the new genres you still hear the same bloody drums... ok call them 'beats' if you like, they still sound the same as they did 50 years ago! Actually I applaud Kraftwerk's and Gary Numan's efforts to try to come up with different sounding drums.

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  6. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    That is my kind of outdated. It actually amounts to timeless. If it’s an old Gibson, that’s actually a masterpiece.

Outdated drum sounds? I kind of disagree, and so do the thousands of songs that are made based on drums as well as the amount of coders trying to emulate drum kits. And that’s because it’s success is based, at least in part, on how drummers keep raising the bar on what can be done with them. Drum sounds? Drum grooves is what matters. You can see players on YouTube making drums out of cardboard boxes, oil drums, and desktops. I don’t think it’s the sound but the musicality it provides. Rhythm speaks to the soul.

7. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

just for fun

8. Thankful

Thankful Rock Star

Sorry, but is it possible to disagree with a personal opinion? I said, 'for me..' I didn't state it as a fact. It would be like disagreeing with me if I said that I don't like to eat raw vegetables. For me, drums sound old, stale, tired, and have sounded the same in every popular music genre for too long. The drum kits are the same. I'm not interested in how they're played or produced or emulated. They always end up sounding more or less the same. People may say that this drum sound just works in today's modern genres. Fine. What a bore!

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I am not here to make anyone feel foolish, just as I would hope they would not try with me. It's merely how I feel about this. I tend to do things differently than most I would say. The editor I use is extremely old, and I use it on a daily basis. The results I get with this constantly get positive feedback from people. That result is what counts to me. I have a lot to learn, but I have also developed some routines that are quite efficient I think. I have not run into problems with ram.

Another head scratcher is the cakewalk thing. Why would people give up a perfectly good DAW, just because they can't have the latest and greatest? It's just a curious motive, to me. I mean it's going to do the same things tomorrow that it has been doing. No real change just because new versions are not happening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I have thought about this too, creating different types of drums and percussion from the norm

11. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

I used acid from 1998 to 2007 switched to reaper 2007 to today (when i switched all 32 bit to 64 bit (although i have used every type of daw i have my prefs)but i def feel you.

12. I used acid from 1972 until it became outdated and then I switched to ecstacy.

13. muffball

muffball Kapellmeister

Dated instruments are always the new thing. The "outdated" instruments list just gets bigger every few years or so. :P

People have gone back to original-tuning for centuries old music which often means brand new instruments incompatible with modern music. Almost nothing is new now = we're struggling not to repeat ourselves, albeit in slightly nuanced ways. But almost nothing is completely outdated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. m9cao

m9cao Producer

you dont know why its outdated because you have been outdated.

15. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Guitar + Helix/Soundtoys/Movement is kinda interesting, or any such similar combination.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  16. Riot7

Riot7 Platinum Record

When I think "outdated" I think of those cheesy 80's synth brass power tunes you heard on tv and that mid 90's "909" eurodance sound.

Well, the cheesy "synth brass and power drums on vhs tape" sound is very popular now and I bet at some point the eurodance style and sound will come back too.

And yes, it's all about how you use the tools. You can take the exact same tools the eurodance people used and make something very modern sounding. Same with 20 year old software.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

Acid Pro is what I am refering to. An old version from before Sony got ahold of it and ruined the editing interface. I also use Cakewalk Sonar platinum, but for audio editing acid pro is the best I have seen. I am very fast with it, and the ability to edit and arrange audio will never become outdated. If reaper is as good for audio editing I will need to look into that.

18. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

I still use Recycle, Sonic Foundry Sound Forge, Emagic SoundDiver, MIDIOX, Cool Edit 2000, CDXtract... in my XP. These beautiful tools cannot become outdated, ever. Insisting that they're outdated because they're not x64 is ridiculous. How much RAM do you need for editing samples anyway? And how many editors can send samples to a sampler over SCSI? Is 32-bit floating point WAV format somehow different and better in newer software? :wink:

Sonic Foundry Acid really shines for mixing loops. Pair it with Waves v7 or v8 plugins and you need nothing else for processing loops. I'm using Reaper for that since its beginning also, but just saying... I often see people using all kinds of "outdated" things pretty successfully. It's not what you use, it's how you use it. :wink:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2018
  19. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

I started out using Acid Pro as a "loop editor", but I don't often use loops anymore. It's great for that, but I use it as an editor in other ways. Moving sections around for arrangement (very quickly), editing pitch (it does decimals if need be), and editing timing (I can take a track that was not played to a click and edit it so it is on a click throughout, and do it fairly quickly). I could probably do this on other daws, but this is so much easier on Sonic Foundry AP. I use this old version of AP on my Win 10 system. I used to use soundforge and sometimes I will pull it out because it still does things none else will do. I have started using Audacity in place of soundforge for the most part.

20. kooper

kooper Platinum Record

What is MIDIOX? I am curious.