What is Nebula and why are there so many positive reviews.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Desantïs, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Impressive

Impressive Guest

I can't figure out how to install this piece of shit on mac. Keep getting errors when trying to install.

2. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

if you read the whole thing you'd find it.
    it would even take you 1 minute to read the passage in it entirety.

3. willynucka

willynucka Ultrasonic

Everything I tried with acustica was pretty terrible, so I basically gave up on it. Not to say there aren't good libraries, but I'm like 0 for 5. A few compressors that did basically nothing and one terrible sounding reverb (maybe that's how the hardware sounds too) have flatlined my interest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  4. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

i initially did too, until aqua came in to play. give some of those a test run in place of other comparable plugs in a session.
    worst case scenario you'd find a different color for your palette.

5. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

I gotta say a random "terrible" from a new user, most likely means user error or a troll.
    A professional provides support for their assertions, a troll hits and runs without any dialogue or support, lol.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. WillTheWeirdo

Nebula is very powerful, but it does take a bit to understand how to harness that power correctly. I plan on doing some youtube video's this year to better explain how to harness Nebula, now that N4 is out.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Plendix

Plendix Platinum Record

to me nebula 3 pro offers the best tape simulation so far. i personally prefer it a lot over satin, or waves kramer.
    good thing or bad thing, i don't know: there are no settings to fiddle. you load one captured impulse, and you geht that one machine with that one tape, driven by amount x. but it sounds indistinguishable from the original.

8. returnal

returnal Rock Star

That would rock. As a user who's new to Nebula with N4 I'd love to get some pointers from an experienced user. And from what I'm seeing in numerous threads on numerous forums I'm only one of many in a new wave of interest in Nebula being stoked by the positive reviews of the Acqua plugs and now the release of N4.

9. Satai

Satai Rock Star

Will, please send the "heads up" when your video is available, I wouldn't wanna miss it either.

I really need that. And I'm someone that knows Nebula3 like the back of my hand, yet there's such a dearth of any actionable info about N4, and all of it scattered across random forums with font sizes too small to read.

10. Jaymz

Jaymz Audiosexual

Acustica Reverbs are second to only hardware... this gota be user Error as @WillTheWeirdo has already posted ;) Download an try Pink from AA ... Pink with its Pre Amps, Compressor,and EQ in one plugin could really change your mind on what you can achieve with Acustica Products trust me \m/ i have many of their Plugs an Nebula aswell... No Algo plugin to Date can come close to what i can achieve with what this company Acustica Audio offers ;) But hey thats jus me an i own alot of Gear so thats my comparison >>> My Hardware

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  11. kotsaris

kotsaris Noisemaker

What do you guys think of the Nebula stock library.It's not supposed to be as good as the 3d party libs,but maybe you found some good presets in it.

12. WillTheWeirdo

The Nebula stock library is very average with a few quality presets mixed in, not worth the time IMHO.
    I personally view HO's free "All You Can Eat" the real stock library everyone should have, it is killer and worth paying for, I did...... but it's now free so start there and be amazed.

13. kotsaris

kotsaris Noisemaker

AYCE Bundle is real great!
    I was considering stock reverbs.They seem to be plenty of them to be all average.But I'll keep your opinion and save net bandwidth.
    As an insider,do you have any time frame when Nebula Setups will be usable with N4?

14. willynucka

willynucka Ultrasonic

I wouldn't say my poor experience degrades my "professional" status; it just means you chose to take offense to my comment. I said, "NOT to say they're aren't good libraries, but I (was) 0 for 5." And the more I looked into it, it seemed to be pretty common knowledge that the early iterations of compressors were bad. It's the area that Acustica themselves acknowledged was lacking in the early days of Nebula. And the single reverb I tried sounded muddy, flat, and generally reminded me of a bad guitar pedal. But I can honestly say it was at that point I just deleted the software instead of really diagnosing the issue, so the reality is the problem was probably both user error and subpar library choices. I'd watch a video on getting the best out of it, but whether you think I'm a troll or not, we can all agree that the Nebula 3 GUI is putrid and drives many people away. I'd be willing to give N4 a chance and demo some Acqua plugs, but my experience isn't unique and having a bad first impression doesn't make me a troll.

15. willynucka

willynucka Ultrasonic

I'll check it out. I've heard good things about Pink and Tan, so i'll see what I can demo. I forget exactly what reverb I used, but I know it was a spring verb that I just wasn't getting to gel. I have it on one of my old hdd's i'm sure, so I'll find out. If anyone has any video recommendations, I'd like to see it in action before I reinstall lol.

16. Impressive

Impressive Guest

Any time I try to open nebulaman on mac, it tells me "Check with the developer to make sure nebulaman is compatible with this version of OSX. You may need to reinstall the application... bla bla bla". Same with any time I try to open an installer. I'm on el capitan 10.11.6.
    Can anyone help? And no, don't tell me to switch to PC please. Lol

17. Calmond

Calmond Ultrasonic

I've been playing around with the stock library in N4. Not impressed.
    I had no idea that there was such a disparity between the stock and 3rd party libraries! The free library really doesn't show the power and capability of Nebula...

Which are the "quality presets" you speak of?

18. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

\

19. Calmond

Calmond Ultrasonic

Thanks but, I was asking Will about the quality presets in the actual stock library, since that's what he had referred to.
    Not his ideas about the HO AYCE bundle - which actually has a good deal more than one or two quality presets...

20. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

Just thought I would help you out with what Will recommended as 'Killer'. After reading the detailed explanation of Nebula by Will. even though my POS laptop would never handle Nebula, I downloaded the Henry pack. For my NEXT computer purchase. Just looking at that site where Henry is offering shit for 7 dollars. free guitar amp IRs.,,,,,,OMFG, The 10G update i10 bucks.............

Will, thank you for clarifying this Nebula myth.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 16, 2017