What is Nebula and why are there so many positive reviews.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Desantïs, Feb 10, 2016.

1. focusrite

focusrite Platinum Record

2. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

pEAeL is one great sounding EQ..... too bad Acustica violated their company Manifest when they released it in a limited 100 only fashion.

3. gatd

gatd Member

can someone please help I have dl the HO eat as much as you like but does not seem to be in nebula formate what am I doing wrong?
    i have nebula 3 pro mac
    thanks

4. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

What do you mean by "nebula format?" They should be N2P and N2V files unless an installer is included.
    N2P's should be copied to your Nebula Depository PROGRAMS folder and
    N2V's to the VECTORS folder.
    Afterward, they should show in Neb's list next time you open it.

5. gatd

gatd Member

yes I know thats what they should be N2P and N2V but they are xps files !

6. focusrite

Did you get a no.51 as well as your official number too?

7. WillTheWeirdo

Nope, I boycotted purchasing Pearl as it clearly violated the Acustica company Manifest. I also requested that G change the Manifest to correctly represent the current company philosophy. He refused, lol.

8. focusrite

Didn't know there was one but from reading your posts on GS I know you're fond of heckling Zaphod to do the right thing.

9. justthankyah

justthankyah Kapellmeister

one thing folks forget to do with nebula (or any other plugin)is to use it in parallel .... even eq... (people always tend to think about compression in parallel)

let's say you got your "final" tracks or are experimenting on the early stages of the mix process...

just add a aux track...

with one of the awesome Henry Olonga "free" programs... i love the mojo ear smile

HO>MOJO>EAR> EAR 20HZ SMILE MED ... or any one of this series of smile eq curves... this one is from a very expensive hardware eq... (check the link)

try to adjust how much vibe you want into your tracks... by moving the aux track fader... and you end up using much less eq on your tracks.. since you have that great smile eq that can give your mix a analog vibe with less effort than you could expect...

i love to experiment with parallel process ..

the mic programs from Henry are great too today i was experimenting with it and it sounded great...

acoustic guitar DI sound into a Henry mic program like HO>MIC>U87 10cm...

man it sounds great the pick details are great.. i think the mic programs can work even better if you have something like a meassure mic like earthworks (check the link ) because you record a vocal (i.e)with a meassure mic like this earthworks and since is a neutral mic when you apply the nebula mic curve you can get a better representation of the actual sampled mic curve and the advantage is that you can select any mic model you have in your library... at least this is how i think it could be a good approach...

i never tried this approach because i don't have a neutral mic ... but this could give you awesome results for sure...
    check the links
    ear eq http://vintageking.com/ear-822-equalizer

one earthworks mic http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/M30

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  10. WillTheWeirdo

In 2016, you vote with your money so..... if a company breaks their word, they do not get my money. Doing the right thing in this case just means reminding them what they promised to us. It's easy to loose your way when somebody invests big cash in your company, and they expect a return on that investment. That pressure will override many decisions a company will make, sometimes compromising a companies core values. We users just need to speak up from time to time, to remind them of their own words to us. We have the power, as they need our vote to stay in busisness.

Just ask Avid, lol, which will most likely be bankrupt in 5 years.

11. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

It can do what no other software can, emulate real expensive gear, capture what no other technology so far can , save you a fortune or replace the need to own what you could never afford. It's a bit of a pain but the technology has been transferred to acqua plugins and they work like any other vst. They deserve credit for pushing the boundaries and my ears appreciate that.

12. WillTheWeirdo

An ACQUA plugin is actually nothing more than skinned Nebula 4, no transferring needed as they are the same thing.

13. WillTheWeirdo

Speaking of Acqua, here is the newest.... Amethyst.
    It's the Amek 2500 & 9098.

Amek 2500 & 9098.jpg

14. justthankyah

justthankyah Kapellmeister

one thing that i hate about the way the forum people from nebula talk is that they keep putting those stupid **** between the name of the hardware... like api .*PI

C'MON i know some folks will chime in and talk aobut legal and all that bs... but guess what there is no crime to write the name of the brand ... or at least put that stupid registered
    [​IMG]

those guys look like kids... when they do it like that.. i like to see the full name of the product that way they show that they have "fear" and almost that they are doing something illegal .... i hate when people do that... :dunno:

15. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Do you mean to say that even if I use the free Acqua plugins I'm already into Nebula sonics?

16. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

100% yes. I prefer Ochre to some of the paid Acqua Q's.

17. dr.evil

dr.evil Kapellmeister

Nebula is a great tool. Acustica's kernel technology is similar to IRs but with much wider application.
    It sounds great and probably better than any plugins available.. But the learning curve, cpu hit, latency issues, tweakablity and application makes it quite a big hassle, specially if one is not used to working with..
    But otherwise it's simply amazing and probably the next best thing to hardware, specially the eqs..

18. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    This must be a joke. Their free plugins have a stock of -1. This is a freebie section just for show, see but don't touch.

Warning: The maximum order level for this product is -1 items.
    Info: The selected quantity exceeds quantity available in stock.

No wonder why we turn to the dark side for "freebies."

19. wouala woualouf

wouala woualouf Platinum Record

A few times I hesitated grabbing an uad card, at least a quad or Octo,
    Because their plug-ins must be so badly coded (not talking about the quality of the different emulations, but rather the multi-core optimizations), that a solo or duo can barely handle a few dozens instances ... when... an external dsp-based chip should be handling thousands and thousands of instances... isn't that main reason why people choose displeased cards over native plugins: saving the cpu for other tasks... ?

When we look at their chart... there are some plug-ins where ONE SINGLE INSTANCE pretty much destroys a full OCTO CARD. Come on...

and of course...that chart is based on 44.1KHz. LOL. Because that way, their cards can handle more instances... and will impress the future buyer even more.

but.... but....

come on.

who, among all the pro- ultra pro, and top Grammy remixers / mastering engineers, is going to work at 44.1KHz? LOL, really...

also, when mixing and mastering, aren't most of the engineers working at the highest/best/standard sample and bit rate -> at least 96KHz 24bits... and for all the NON-EDM projects (I guess few people compose their house progressive tune at 384KHz on a pyramix workstation ), many 'orchestral' guys will choose 192k. ..

That's why the UAD chart at 44.1KHz.... is a true joke. Even before becoming their customer, UAD are already taking those 'richer than the average' guys for some ignorant stupid people who will buy 300-400 $ plug-ins. .to only use them at 44.1KHz. Sure, UAD, sure... why not asking Hans Zimmer if he wants to try some uad plug-ins at 8bit 11KHz, for some true vintage sound ?

How can we offer only 1 year warranty, on a product that may cost almost 2000 $ / € ?
    I particularly love this part, from 'what the warranty does not cover' :
    * unusual stress *

Let me see: a user spends 8 hours on a project, with his octo card running all the instances as possible, with a 100% dsp/cpu usage. One week later, the card overheats, and dies.

the 1700 euros card is returned to uad. The tech guy runs his benchmark app and reads the main log, and notices the card ran almost 50 hours, in 1 week. The guy sends a mail to the customer, saying the card has been used abnormally, too many hours, instead of a 'fair usage', and the warranty couldn't cover it. But because they are Good, they will fix it, for only 400 euros'.

is that the 'unusual stress' ?

anyway, what can be said against UAD, when most users will claim their UAD plug-ins sound even better than the hardware..

those shark dsps are ultra cheap. Just like access-music asked and still asks, 10 years later, almost 3000 euros for a synth, that only has 2 little shark dsp's, when they could easily allow 16 independent stereo outputs via USB, but, hey, if the TI had 16 outputs, there would be no reasons to buy the next virus TI3, right...? ... UAD, for almost 1700 euros, they could easily use 16 shark dsp's... and they would still make tons of cash.

but hey, why doing that? Most uad users can buy everything they want.. if they want 16 dsp's. .. they can buy another card. And another.and another.... with 4 Octo cards, and its 32 shark dsp's at 8'000 euros, at 96khz 24 bit, they will be able to run almost 10 instances of their Neve pre-amp... or 10x Manley massive passive Eq. ..

shall the UAD force be with us.

PS. I guess the shark guys have released plenty of upgraded versions of the dsp used on the UAD cards. Less power consumption, cheaper, more efficient, much more powerful. Will UAD be using the new and better chips, as they get released, so the user can have even more power, more instances, etc... or will they use the same ultra-low-perfs chips released in 2008...until 2018 or later..?

because for the same price or less, the latest chip versions are what, 2, 3, 4 times more powerful than those from 2008 ? (Well, the uad 2 existed in 2008...probably uad designed their cards with dsp's from 2005-2006 in mind..)

20. Pipotron3000

Pipotron3000 Audiosexual

UAD, like Protools owners, made their business with ppl NOT counting their money.
    The same ppl buying an U87 full price, several Avalon, Bricasti and more and more.
    As long as those ppl feel this is good for their business (and i said "feel". Not "prove"), they will keep put amazing amounts of money in something not-so impressive.
    A lot of pros have two options with their money : "investing" it in their work or being taxed.
    Something AVID/Digidesign/UA and much more learned a long time ago.
    Their business is NOT making something amazing, but convincing other ppl it is.
    Like Protools in almost every studio on the planet. Name dropping on "studio gear" page. Like Waves and PT HD.
    Mr Average Joe don't know Nebula.
    But who on the whole planet could have started a thread like "what is Protools (or UAD) and why are there so many positive reviews ?".
    Same strategy than a "producer", name dropping in his soundbanks "influenced by".