What is Nebula and why are there so many positive reviews.

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Desantïs, Feb 10, 2016.

1. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

Seriously I was on their website and I am very confused about the whole idea of it.. Is it hardware.. Is it a VST? Is it a server??! :unsure:

3. mercurysoto

mercurysoto Audiosexual

The bottom of the rabbit hole, next to Alice's
    Agreed. And it seems it's use isn't straightforward at all. However, people rave so much about it that maybe it is the missing link between ITB and OTB mixing.

It's not that expensive, right? I guess there's not AAX format. The only deal breaker for me. Or am I wrong?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Enoch007

Enoch007 Kapellmeister

One of the worst software purchases I've ever made. Unfriendly GUI, CPU hog, & the static IR's are a turn off. Which is why I went UAD.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  5. Desantïs

Desantïs Banned

btw, I love ableton

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  6. studio5599

studio5599 Producer

its very pricey over rated software!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • List
  7. peacefulburningz

peacefulburningz Kapellmeister

Nebula is a vst. They sample actual gear and a lot of it sounds really good. The free version of Nebula sucks btw so if you try it, try Nebula 3 Pro.

Its CPU heavy so bouncing/freezing is you friend and overall its a pain in the ass to use. However, once you get used to it and make some personal adjustments, its very easy and sounds great. Yes the GUI sucks, but who really cares, this is music.

On the UAD note, UAD is extremely cpu heavy, and expensive. I have used UAD for years and pretty much everything can be replaced by a native plug. The majority of their plugins are no better than Waves.

• Agree x 5
    • Like x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Useful x 1
    • List
  8. peacefulburningz

Do you mean Aqua? Nebula is actually pretty cheap. Aqua is extremely expensive though.

9. MNDSTRM

MNDSTRM Platinum Record

I consider it as an engine. I think of it as like kontakt for hardware emulation.

The same way that you can load multivelocity samples into Kontakt, you can load multi-level IRs dependent on input level and frequency content. (some one correct me on the technical aspect if needed, this is just how I think of it.)

10. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

It is a very high quality plugin that can emulate all kinds of outboard processors from eqs and compressors to reverbs ,delays, tape saturators etc etc. It uses convolution technology to achieve the various emus. Simply put, convolution is sampling a processor's various changes in tone etc when signal is fed through them. Convolution reverbs are widely spread: Waves IR-1, Altiverb, SIR, Reverberate all use the same principal and require samples from various spaces (called impulses) that are used to produce the various reverb sounds. Daws like Cubase and Logic have their own convolution reverb as well. So, same goes for Nebula, only Nebula can emulate all types of outboard processing, and whereas in the past it was better in time based effects like reverb,delay etc , v3 and onward has set a new quality standard. For example to my ears, and to many i guess, the channel strip/console emulations are the closest to the real thing than any other plug. So what's the catch right? 250 euros and you 're done ? Well...
    1) It relies heavy on the cpu. While it has improved over the years in terms of latency and cpu usage, most ppl who buy it tend to use it on a separate computer. The Nebula server version utilizes LAN connection to the host comp with apparently no added latency. If you have a current i7 ( at least 4 core suggested ) you can try it on one comp like a normal plug.
    2) Just like a sampler like Kontakt you get some basic libraries when u buy it, whereas there are enough 3rd party libs to make you want them all. The difference is with Kontakt and any other sampler u can use any kind of samples that are widely available, free, copied, bought whatever. With Nebula you just can't go and use your own samples because the procedure of making your own impulse sampling for Nebula requires precision tools, not to mention the real hardware machines themselves. The upside here is additional Nebula libs are not expensive as premium Kontakt libraries are. 20-50 euros is the average price of an additional library (if i am mistaken someone please correct me thanks)
    3) The GUI is not for the faint of heart. It requires a lot of manual reading and although the graphical interface changes depending on what kind of processor it emulates (much like the Kontakt GUI changes when u load a different library), it still needs deep knowledge to get the great results it's capable of producing.
    Hope that was helpful, cheers :)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  11. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

I use Henry Olonga NV Vintage PRE a lot, I made a separate .dll with his recommended settings.
    Ive made 2 snapshots in my plugin browser (because it comes in parts that has to be loaded separated)

no eqing is actually being done, it goes before everything and I like the sound a lot on vocals.
    but the cpu is a big trade-off

12. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Seriously, man. Do you really know what you're talking about? UAD plug ins are completely DSP-powered, so they use their own processors and not your cpu. The only thing you could say is that the plug ins are DSP-intensive. :dunno:

I agree that the normal price of the plug ins is pretty steep, but they offer so many discounts throughout the year that you can always save at least half of your money. For example I purchased Vertigo Sound VSM-3 for only 79 Euro. The offer was 129 Euros and I used a 50 Euro coupon they sent me. Now tell me, have you ever seen Plugin Alliance's Vertigo Sound VSM-3 for 79 Euros? I could give you more examples if you want.
    Get a used UAD card and you're set up fine. Freeing your cpu load on your computer.

Btw I have been a Nebula Pro user since the first days. I must also admit that these guys should really think about the user-friendliness of their software. But I think they have come to a point where it is impossible for them to simplify at any further without sacrificing the versatility of Nebula Pro. So that's why they decided to go another way and concentrate on their Acqua engine creating specific plug ins emulating old equalizers and compressors like the Navy EQ, the Ultramarine Mastering compressor, the Scarlet Equalizer and so on...
    Perhaps the o.p. should use these plug ins for better usability and a nice sound.
    But I must admit something:
    1. Yes, they are extremely expensive, maybe even more expensive than UAD
    2. I don't know if the quality of these plug ins is really better than let's say the quality of Slate Digital or the UAD plug ins.

But one thing is for sure. Some of their stuff is pretty unique.

And with Nebula Pro you can get a lot of these emulated machine libraries for cheaper than the Acqua commercial plug ins, though not with such a dedicated and fancy interface.

The decision is yours. :winker:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. peacefulburningz

My apologies, that is what I should have said. I should have been more specific, but I'm a musician more than anything. What I do know is that, for me, the investment into a UAD card is kind of a waste in this day and time. Its a rather large investment for something that still gets maxed out relatively quick. The UAD plugins that have actually gone native sound exactly the same as their UAD counterparts. I think this is why a lot of people that I know have jumped ship, myself included.

No need to seem so hostile brother.

14. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Yes, they are. By a long shot.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  15. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

For me all their stuff is total crap... just speaking from my point of view.. Some people swear by it.

also... for such an experienced and awesome producer, ( as you have proclaimed ) you dont seem to know very much about anything and ask for help a LOT.

Just saying.

Having said that, seems perhaps you have learned your lesson about hurling insults and bragging.. so.. hell with it.. more power to ya. I shall give you the benefit of the doubt going forward mate.

:cheers::chilling:

16. muse2love

muse2love Producer

the only stuff that nebula has put out and that make sense is Mixcraft

but their plugz...could be good...they just are not willing to put enough math work in their algorythm to make it less CPU hog

Fuckers...

But try Mixcraft the only DAW with 64 Bit Float Point Fuck Yeah

17. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

I didn't mean to be hostile. Sorry if I may sounded a bit impolite!

The trick is to have enough DSPs for sure. :)
    Emulating the old hardware the way UAD does is extremely heavy on the processor. The same goes for the native plug ins that load all their processing on your computer's cpu. Some emulations are so processor heavy that you can't run more than a few instances on your computer.

And then the UAD card comes in handy for me.
    Admittedly the more DSPs you have in your card, the more expensive it is. I myself own a Satellite Quad and I agree that if you run 4 Massive Passives, 4 Culture Vultures or 4 1073 Neve preamps a Quad card is pretty maxed out. You can find an instance chart here btw:
    http://www.uaudio.com/support/uad/compatibility/instance-chart.html

But as I said, other emulations are cpu intensive, too. And with a UAD card you at least have the freedom to run some high quality emulations without nagging your cpu. After all you can also freeze the tracks to free up your UAD DSPs again.

Anyway, Nebula programs are cpu intensive, too. Depending on what you take.
    This reminds me that I need a new motherboard and a faster CPU this year definately. :rofl:
    At the moment I am on a quad core i7 2700k. But in the future I need a hex core at least! :yes:

18. Hans242

Hans242 Producer

Mixcraft is from Acoustica. They reside in California. Nebula is from Acustica-Audio. They are from Italy. They have nothing to do with each other. Just saying. :yes:

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. Teletonto

Teletonto Newbie

I downloaded and was going to try Nebula 3 Free just before reading this topic. Thanks for your tip. I read about Nebula on another recent topic here about virtual tape machine. I'm on a Mac and there's a request on audioz for the Nebula Server Bundle for Mac 64-bit. I think I'll wait for it!

20. lexeed

lexeed Platinum Record

Indeed, you are.

21. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Some clarity might be in order. Nebula is just the natural progression of the convolution technology Altiverb started.

Let's better understand the 3 types of plugins today:

An algorithm plugin - a mathematical equation, that builds a model with math that attempts to duplicate what happens in the analogue world. IE, Valhalla or SPL plugins.

Convolution plugin - sampling a device or room, with a sine wave, that captures the signal, or room response, but static in nature. IE, Altiverb or Waves Q-Clone.

Dynamic Voltra Convolution plugin - similar to convolution sampling but is dynamically capturing the actual signal and the actual dynamic harmonic content, using a form of ultrasound technology. IE, Nebula or Acqua, which is actually Nebula 4 with pretty GUI's.

Watch this to better understand.

The reason it sounds better than algo plugins is because algo plugins are mathematical guesses of what happens in the analogue world, but they can not accurately model all the small nuances that tubes, transformers, power supplies & opamps impart on audio signals, as of today. Nebula skips the guess work and samples the gear, dynamics and harmonics included, and then allows you to apply that actual content to your own audio signal.

While it is superior technology, it is just now coming of age and is the actual bridge between hardware and software, but there are still a few issues.

1. Very CPU intensive, but the newest Core 8 builds offer a zero latency version, AAX, AST, & AU formats. You'll want a current i7 build, but the newest benchmarks with newer i7's are showing close to 100 Nebula's can be run successfully, with CPU to spare.
    2. Workflow adjustments, used to be worse but with Nebula setups you can customize your libraries to load almost instantly, even faster than some algo plugins. You'll also have to learn Nebula as a tool as it reacts differently than algo plugins, needs proper gain staging, and signal flow. IMHO, Once you grasp Nebula, it's hard to return to algo plugins.

Is it right for you? Only testing it will give you the answer, as not ever tool is meant for every one, it's why we have choices.

As a multi platinum Engineer and Producer with thousands of hours logged in some of the finest studios in the US, I crave the analogue sound but love the digital workflow. Nebula is the tool that has brought those two together and has me no longer lusting after sitting in front of a large console night in and out.

As always, to each their own.

• Like Like x 10
    • Useful Useful x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List