What is Kontakt?

Discussion in 'Kontakt' started by dvvdv, Apr 23, 2018.

1. kingchubby

kingchubby Rock Star

Kontakt is a very good tool in capable hands.
    Kontakt libraries also take a lot of space in my hd. :D
    My name is kingchubby and I am a Kontakt addict. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  2. dvvdv

dvvdv Member

Wow, no serious responses about this software anywhere!
    If anyone could give me some actual advice, you know?

3. Kinghtsurfer

Kinghtsurfer Audiosexual

Please read through once more... There are about 3 or 4 very educated and informed answers to your questions...

No one can tell you whether you should get it or not...that depends on the music you wish to make and whether you wish to import your own samples to manipulate them in your daw...

Me personally, I love Kontakt... Both for sampling and for their multitude of 3rd party libraries...

And NI Komplete is a great package... Its more than enough for most music making requirements... I bought it myself

4. pine

pine Ultrasonic

Agreed.

There is still hope for these people, at least I like to think so! :yes:

5. pine

pine Ultrasonic

I didn't feel like I could add much to this thread because it's all there, really. You might need to make a 'collage' of replies to get the full picture but yeah it's worth it if you're being serious.

Read again, carefully this time... And don't be afraid to ask for more info if you don't understand something. Sometimes, a lot of times, you can even figure stuff out for yourself.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
  6. dvvdv

dvvdv Member

Looks similar to Logic Pro if you ask me? What does it do that Logic can't?

7. Majestic

Majestic Rock Star

Did you actually read my response? Reply #3. And there were a few other serious ones like it

Did you even read the responses? Logic Pro is a DAW. Kontakt is a plugin. And it can do loads more than logic pro (if you're referring to the exs24 sampler) in regards to what its particular function is. I suggest to check out some youtub videos that can walk you through its functions.

8. 6ixcore

6ixcore Producer

9. dvvdv

dvvdv Member

Okay, thanks for the responses! I can assure y'all that I've read this thread, I'm just trying to justify 500GB disk space!

10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

I figure like everyone, he is trying to carve his own identity, though his method seems to be in a convoluted and sometimes confusing way.

11. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Guest

Personally only, I think it is great especially because the libraries available are not prejudiced to any style or genre and for the greater part, are sampled really well. The sounds are mostly flexible for the better part not constraining anyone to only being relegated to a single use. Some are, but most are not.
    It's a useful tool in any VSTi arsenal.

12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

There's several Kontakt features that are very good, some of them game changers, even if we consider only the "player" part. Besides the ones you mentioned:

KSP or Kontakt script: I remember seeing many years ago a tutorial about Kontakt 2 scripting engine. It was ground breaking. While VSLibrary had developed an independent "Articulation tool" for its own sample player you could, for example, avoid machine gun effect with RR samples with a few lines of code. Endless possibilities, specially for rompler-like OR synth-like libs.
    A very important improvement undergoing in these days: KSP will handle decimal numbers (floats).

Loads of effect available to developers and users of the full version: maybe not the fastest and the best quality ones of the market, but it's like a T-Racks lite the arsenal of effects Kontakt has under the hood.

GUI: ok, it's hard to make GUIs, they are slow sometimes, but hey, it's a sample player. Check Garritan's.

MIDI: joining the engine capabilities with KSP scripting you can do wonders like a Midi plugin utility. I checked the harmonizer ones with OTS metal guitar Dracus and only using kontakt I had guitar + amp + cab + reberb/delay + MIDI harmonizer doing quite good sounding Brian May style harmonies. Considering I barely know music.

So, in short, Kontakt is so good that has avoided many developers to create their rompler/synth engine player.
    And the competence: Best service sucked so big time with their Engine that I think they're back releasing in Kontakt. Play engine from EWQL plagued with bugs for a couple years even with their big budget. Halion, Giga, ... rings a bell....
    I tested Garritan's Player and with 2 times smaller libraries was slower than Kontakt. A shame, because Garritan's libraries are crazy good for its size and simplicity. Simplicity until they switched player, that is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  13. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Maybe it's a comprehension issue. It almost seems like you are trolling us.

Kontakt VSTi itself is quite heavy, yes. But you don't need to have 500GB of libraries if you don't want to. It's all up to you. As a comprehensible parable you could say that it's like owning a car - you decide if it should be parked in the garage all year...or if you want to drive across the country and live in it for a year.

No, it does not "look similar to Logic Pro", as Logic is a DAW and Kontakt is a sample/library player. Two very different things.

I love Kontakt btw! There are TONS of quality libraries, I can work it/them and it is a tool that helps me pay my bills.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. dragonhill

dragonhill Guest

go watch some Kontakt Youtube videos.......

If you want a guess from someone on a forum, I would say don't bother with Kontakt yet.
    esp. if you don't have at least a 61 key controller to take advantage of key switching.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018
  15. vaiman

vaiman Platinum Record

I think so. From a thread asking Ableton vs Logic, to asking what Kontakt is?..
    Don't believe it :no: