What is everybody favorite guitar vst/library

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by Atlantis84, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

I got into an argument about this in this thread
    https://audiosex.pro/threads/any-news-about-ezguitar.60634/#post-582905

2. NeverenoghFun

NeverenoghFun Platinum Record

Guitar is such a hard one to nail. As hard as VST companies try it will never be as good as buying a $30 guitar of Marketplace hitting that Drop D and letting it rip lol.
    I like making my own guitar sounding patches. I find it has a lot to do with the post processing.
    You can use bass synth and make it sound like a pretty sick guitar with the right chain.
    some honorable mentions.
    Impact Soundworks for Kontakt
    Telematic for Falcon
    Nueral DSP For effects

To add to this though with Midi 2.0 and MPE i feel like all our vsti are going to be feeling more fluidly expressive soon enough

3. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

It was a very interesting discussion, but not one I can really add any input to.

4. Atlantis84

Atlantis84 Platinum Record

I want to see the video can u link me too it please

5. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I like either Amplesound's Ample 12 or Ample M , I then blend in my guitar's sound for a richer fuller sound using MIDI Guitar 2. This allows for a lot more tonal flexibility and versatility, besides it's nice to be able to play an electric and acoustic guitars simultaneously or switch back and forth as you want.

6. Atlantis84

I liked the Ample Martin more than the Ample 12 ....the strings on that thing was way too sharp for me lol

7. Atlantis84

Telematic form UVI is the best sounding Telecaster i used when it comes to vst format

8. rollerball

rollerball Platinum Record

Absolutely true! I only use them when I don't have my instruments with me. The real thing always sounds better. I see some modern bands use VIs for bass when it comes to low-tuned stuff, but to my ears it always sounds better even if it's a cheap instrument and you have to use a pitch shifter to tune low. Sure, a single note from a sample library of a Dingwall might have better "tone", but even if you painstakingly humanised the MIDI the real recording still sounds better.
    I wonder if string players feel the same when they hear a string library. :rofl:

But in their defense, they are a great tool for writing. I find myself coming up with stuff when working with a VI that I wouldn't have if I were writing on a guitar.

9. Ad Heesive

Ad Heesive Audiosexual

Agreed.
    Very exciting possibilities with MPE, but it will involve interesting changes in workflow.
    In any DAW, the conventional MIDI tracks and the MPE MIDI tracks could end up being like completely different animals.
    MPE MIDI editing facilities could easily be a feature in the next wave of DAW Wars.
    I can imagine adopting a separate DAW, solely to manage the MPE MIDI tracks, based on how smart the MPE editing is in that DAW, and then exporting results to preferred DAW.
    Definitely going to get more complicated - but probably irresistible to explore.

As for controllers, some wonderful new choices emerging.
    I'd certainly like to try a Jamstik Studio Midi Guitar https://jamstik.com/products/studio-midi-guitar
    Anyone already experienced with midi-guitar, and maybe well versed with midi-guitar limitations, should check this out as a game changing upgrade (at least, on paper, in theory, - I've still yet to actually touch one! :sad:)

10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Yeah the reason why we can just grasp if a guitar was fake played.

Also tried these Chord progression Kontakt Libraries, still very hard and was of no use for me.

11. anonymouse

anonymouse Platinum Record

As a guitar player, I am horrified when listening to VST guitars. Instant cringe. But I can imagine every player experiences this with his/her instrument. Wish I could recommend something..

12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sure, here ya go buddy

Gawd, I should never come on here so soon after waking up, I just gave ya a thumbs down by mistake.. thankfully it's easy to undo, otherwise I'd have some explaining to do :))

13. SpyFx ✪ ✓

SpyFx ✪ ✓ Audiosexual

Worth mentioning here :wink:
    Quartarone Guitar Reveries (Kontakt library) especially if you're doing cinematic music imho :bow::bow::bow: :

14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

We're a long way from getting a decent lead guitar VSTi, the problem is we guitarists play the same note hundreds of different ways in context with what we're playing along with and what sound we have.

Once again, without feeling...

15. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I would say the huge difficulty in making realist guitar plugins are:

1. Hands down the instrument with more playing techniques (articulations, however you call it). Pick or finger, hammer on/off, slides, pick scrapes, squeals, harmonics, sweeps, and the list goes on...
    On top of that polyphonic and there's several positions to play the same chord which gives different sound.

2. Also, probably the instrument we've listened the most. So we're prone to identify a non-real guitar.

Let's say it appears a guitar plugin capable of almost-realism. Even so, it would be extremely difficult to play/program/keyswitch

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  16. Atlantis84

Thanks bro

17. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

Most of a guitar's sound comes from the person playing it, and that is the beauty of the instrument. When I work on a guitar part, I keep on playing the same piece until something magic happens. Unfortunately there is no way around it, and it is the reason why I took up playing the guitar again.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2021
  18. Sylenth.Will.Fall

You've hit the nail on the head!

19. SineWave

SineWave Audiosexual

You're my kinda guy. :wink: Reading your post I have absolutely nothing to add... well, maybe just that Line 6 Helix is worth trying with them. I disable all the FX in Ample Sound VSTs and put them thorough either Helix or Amplitube. Amplitube generally sounds softer than Helix and you may not want that, or rather use both - Helix for solos and Amplitube for shredding. Oh well, just use ears and some common mixing logic. :wink:

I used to like MusicLab VSTs and I still use them, too, but Ample Sound VSTs do sound better.

Cheers! :headbang:

20. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Playing a guitar via midi keyboard (or any non piano based instrument) requires a great deal of care to play the keyboard as you would the actual instrument. That goes a long way to keep things sounding somewhat realistic. The worst thing is when you hear an instrument played like a piano by a professional piano player that just sounds very odd.