What is a Peavey DSM 752 Sampling Mixer?

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by MrAnonymous, Aug 16, 2014.

1. MrAnonymous

MrAnonymous Producer

Screen Shots of layout from manual: (In spoiler)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Information about it on this ebay link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-DSM-752-Sample-Mixer-/190806050893

I know someone who i can get one off for cheap.. what is it for?

Can it even be connected to a Focusrite: Scarlett 18i20 USB Audio Interface?

Tried to read the online manual but really confused. Sounds like some sort of Dj thing,what would i use it for?

3. angie

angie Producer

It's a dj mixer with a rudimentary sampler built in... do you really need it?

4. Levitate

Levitate Producer

Ok from the looks of it,it kinda seems pretty cool.It appears to just basically be a mixing board with built in sampling.

Looks like you can have 3 things and mic plugged into it.Whether synths,turntables,cd players/cdj's etc.I think you may be able to do something cool with it.

Especially if you can get it for cheap.And as far as hooking it up I'd say yeah you could hook it to an interface.The program outs would go to L & R in.May possibly need a couple 1/4 to rca adapters if your interface only has 1/4 in's(Don't know a lot about focusrite scarlett 18i20 usb,just a guess)

The partition thing is only thing that really confuses me,I'm not sure if that's like a cue or crossfade duration or what.

Anyway best of luck!

5. transporter1333

transporter1333 Member

I own an Peavey Vypyr 120 Valve Amp and I just love it.
    Peavey have a huge line of Amp stuff with high quality, but I think this kind of "Sampling Mixer" is not what they are specialized for.... :dunno:

6. Resonance

Resonance Newbie

Well as they make great amps ! if you need a dj mixer the audio quality would probably suduce you.
    Can you get to demo it, I've not heard it but I'd consider it if I got to hear the preamps and the price was good

7. krameri

krameri Platinum Record

One of the clubs I DJed at many years ago had one of those. It wasn't the worst DJ mixer I've ever used, but it was pretty bad considering it was in a club. About the only thing I could imagine it being useful for today is as an RIAA phono preamp. But you can buy a dedicated phono preamp that is 1/4 the size of that.

Levitate:
    The partition thing is just a division of the 12-second sample memory. It won't chop a 12-second sample, though. You have to decide beforehand if you want to use the 12-second length, 2 x 6-second length, or 4 x 3-second length. Something like:
    "Rock the funky beats" or
    "Rock the" "funky beats" or
    "Rock" "the" "funky" "beats"