What is a good Hardware Emulation EQ plugin ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Stevie Dude, Mar 6, 2021.

1. droplet

droplet Rock Star

If I get another bad point I'm kicked off for I don't know how long.

2. xsound

xsound Member

Until recently I really used just surgical EQ's. But the way some EQ's are coloring and adding own character to a sound is really interesting and can't stop experimenting with it!

3. aleksy

aleksy Kapellmeister

Since there is always somebody saying that you need to develop some self-confidence in your choices.
    Constantly being on the hunt for the most accurate emulation can take tons of time.
    Even if the emulation is off by a bit, it doesn't make a plugin "literally unusable and beloging in the trash".

Do research to find the options that are available, check which ones match your expectations, needs and maybe budget, then compare those and choose the one you like best. Learn to get a great sound out of it and stand by your choice since there is always going to be somebody trying to discredit it in some way or another. Confidence and a certain "fuck it, good enough"-attitude helps to get back to making music.

4. serveradmin

serveradmin Newbie

I don't understand why those emulations dont have a "modern" type of GUI (like fabfilter) while emulating the sound of analog hardware.
    Its nice to have the hardware with the knobs and buttons but as software this type of GUI is like a "antiworkflow" tool :(

5. Ŧยχøя

Ŧยχøя Audiosexual

I agree it will improve the workflow and Precision,
    and it's true for Channel Strips and many other stuff..

But otoh, some of the old rack units had Fixed positions for Freqs, Amplitude, Qs, Ratios, etc..
    So maybe that' s what they emulated, and I guess it adds some extra realism to the thing..

Perhaps in those cases it could be made "detachable",
    so you can choose whether to use the stock values or not..

But then the intermediate values would have to be Calculated,
    and that will make it be less authentic, if it's even possible.

But yeah, I agree..
    Graphical display alla Fabfilter would be great for any EQ,
    and a Numerical GR display besides of only VU's for Compressors

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Brainworx - EQ4 - The Original AIR BAND™

You’ve heard the Maag EQ4 on the vocals of artists ranging from Madonna to Celine Dion, and from the Black Eyed Peas to Snoop Dogg. Now you can have this legendary EQ right inside your DAW.

The Maag EQ4’s unique design allows for exceptionally low phase shift across all EQ adjustments, which helps maintain the integrity of your mix’s original sound while enhancing the “Airy” frequencies. The AIR BAND® interacts with the 5 band pass EQs to tonally sculpt your tracks from top to bottom with unrivaled transparency and top end presence.

The EQ4 is a musical EQ, not a surgical EQ, making it ideal for sweetening tracks. Add it to your vocal tracks to hear why top audio engineers who have access to every EQ ever made demand the EQ4 for vocals, or put it on your master buss.

This is one of the best selling plugins ever, and as soon as you hear it you will understand.

Supported Formats
    AAX AudioSuite, AAX DSP, AAX Native, AU, SoundGrid, UAD-2, VST2, VST3

Nomad Factory - Pultec EQP-1A (Emulation of the Legendary PULTEC EQs)

The Pulse-Tec EQs includes the legendary Pultec Mid-Range Equalizer MEQ-5 and the well known Pultec Program Equalizer EQP-1A into a single high quality plug-in, the PULSE-TEC EQs. The PulseTec EQs sections can be enabled or disabled individually or used simultaneously for full range analog equalizations. We added an analog Pre-Amp section which adds an Input Level and Output Level controls as well as a simple 'Clipper' limiter at the master output section.

The PULSE-TEC MEQ-5 Mid-Range Equalizer section is designed to add Body and Presence to your recorded tracks, Highlight or Subdue a vocalist where the vocal is already mixed with the orchestra, improve the quality of voices by alternating their fundamental and overtone relationships.

The PULSE-TEC EQP-1A Equalizer section will add a wide range of equalization curves provided makes it possible to boost the very low or very high frequency notes of the orchestra without 'muddying up' the middle register instruments. Continuously variable controls permit changing the amount of the equalization or sustained tones without step in level or noise.

Brainworx - Millennia NSEQ-2 (4K Ready)

Mastering Grade EQ w/ Tube and J-FET Signal Paths
    Revered for its startling realism and transparent musicality, the Millennia NSEQ-2 is a go-to parametric EQ for many of the world’s leading studios and mastering houses. Its unique Twin Topology design and pure Class A transformer-less circuitry offers a simplicity which yields a powerful, sonically neutral, analog EQ.

The plugin version of the Millennia NSEQ-2 is a faithful digital model of this remarkable piece of ultra high-end hardware, brought to you by the modeling experts of Brainworx. This brings a state-of-the-art boutique EQ to your DAW.

A key to the Millennia sound is their Twin Topology™ technology that makes the NSEQ-2 like two world-class EQs in one. By faithfully emulating Millennia’s circuits, the Millennia NSEQ-2 plugin provides the sonic soul of the original.

The Millennia NSEQ-2 plugin also includes features not found in the hardware version, including M/S processing. Link mode speeds up your workflow, allowing you to adjust the left and right channels simultaneously, while the addition of an Output Trim control brings another level of usefulness to an already stellar EQ. Push the Millennia NSEQ-2 plugin’s front-end hard for a little extra color, and then back down the Output Trim so you don’t overload plugins further down your signal chain.

Supported Formats
    AAX AudioSuite, AAX Native, AU, UAD-2, VST2, VST3

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  7. luanpacheco

luanpacheco Noisemaker

Maag EQ4 the best one

8. MaximalMinimal

MaximalMinimal Ultrasonic

Lindell Audio 50 & 80 Series.

9. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

PSP E27

10. uladzislau

uladzislau Producer

Try this sexy boy Prime Studio Charly.

:wink:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2021
  11. hackerz4life

hackerz4life Audiosexual

What sucks ITB is boosting with plugins, equalizers sound fake and harsh, the sweet spot is very narrow compared to good hardware equalizers.

12. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Charly Triple Six :winker:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2021
  13. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

14. visitor

visitor Guest

I use the Slate Digital bundle a lot. So I use a combination of Infinity EQ for my cuts, since it's easier to make cuts with a visual parametric EQ, then use the more analog-modelled character EQ's for my boosts. The Custom Series EQ is magical, easy, and virtually never sounds bad.

Personally, when it comes to EQ's, one that I'm pining for is the Undertone Audio MPEQ-1. That Electric Guitar example they have on their website is spicy.

15. tomazzzi

tomazzzi Member

fabfilter pro Q for linear feature and anything else for the rest. I mostly use Ableton stock or URS for basic usage.

16. uladzislau

uladzislau Producer

sadly, i can't find this plugin even on the manufacturer's website :sad:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2021
  17. Sinus Well

Sinus Well Audiosexual

Yeah, I know... It's a limited edition.

[​IMG]

• Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  18. anissbenthami

anissbenthami Kapellmeister

1. Features: I prefer the limitations, not for the feeling of using a real one but because I easily get lost when I have too many choices.

2. GUI: Not 100MB of graphic content but not a cheap looking one. (SoundToys GUIs for example).

3. THD is a must.

4. Passive EQ: if it doesn't sound right at extreme settings, it's a bad emulation.

5. Noise: I'm okay with it as long as it's not a looping sample.

6. VU meter and calibration: I like this one.

7. Headroom: input/output knobs are enough for me.

8. Impossible to null it down with Pro-Q3: as is the case in the analogue world. (Softube's Summit Audio EQF-100 is a great example)

9. Something that improves the hardware designs: no.

10. IR of the hardware it emulates: I'm not a fan of this technique.

11. Trust the brand: I don't trust Acustica Audio.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  19. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

can you please explain why ? do you have bad experience with it ? I never really use most of them, but had used the N3 plus all the free ones, COFFEE THE PUN, TAN, CREAM 2 I can say it has some character to it, and I quite like it. The CORAL BAX, not so much, the PA is better IMO.

Didn't use it all the time, but on some dead cold synth sound/sample, it can add some life to it, I notice there are some crosstalk between the L and R channels on those plugins which is what I'm really looking for, for that specific purpose. Don't really have anything bad to say other than it is quite pricey.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2021
  20. uladzislau

uladzislau Producer

Because he can't afford it? (just joking) If you like something, use it. In the end, no one gives a fuck what plugins you used.