What if I use an Arturia Keylab 61 as Midi controller ??

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Olymoon, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Is there some one who's got a Arturia Keylab 61? Is it possible to use it as a midi controller too?

[​IMG]

There are buttons and faders and pads so why not?

3. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

Without any prior knowledge, Id bet my house it does.

4. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

MAIN FEATURES:
    Includes Analog Lab with 5000 synth sounds
    All presets are carefully selected from the Arturia Classic Synths (mini V, Modular V, CS-80V, ARP 2600 V, Prophet V, Prophet VS, SEM V and Jupiter-8V) and from Wurlitzer V, our recreation of the classic 200A electric piano. These TAE® powered sounds offer unparalleled audio quality.
    Fast filter the presets to your requirements: by Instrument, by Type (Bass, Pads, Leads…), by Characteristics (long, bright, dark …).
    In-depth Preset Editing available for the owners of the Arturia Classic Synthesizers (Mini V, CS-80 V, etc.). Edit your sounds on the original instruments within Analog Lab.
    More than 200 Multi patches organized by musical genres, each made of two different synth patches with effects, layers and splits …
    Straightforward editing, with a complete array of parameters for tweaking sounds, directly assigned to the controls of the Keylab 61

Hardware Specifications :
    Keyboard : 61 semi weighted keys with velocity and aftertouch
    Ultra thin 61 keys with full action effect and velocity sensitivity
    Controls : 2 clickable encoders, 6 transport switches, 1 modulation wheel, 1 pitch bend wheel, two banks of 10 encoders, 9 sliders, 1 volume encoder and 10 assignable switches.
    Connectors : MIDI in & out, USB, Sustain pedal, Expression pedal, Aux footswitch, Breath controller inputs
    High quality aluminum and wooden construction
    32 digits LCD screen
    Functions as an universal MIDI controller
    Use with Analog Lab or with any other MIDI software.
    Product dimensions : 878x298x70 mm - Net weight : 7.3 Kg

Awsome keyboard :wink:

5. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Phloopy thanks for the specs.

I'd like someone who use it to comment.

6. lampwiikk

lampwiikk Member

The only thing I could see it lacking as far as MIDI control would be an XY pad or stick, those are pretty cool to have...

7. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

lampwiik you'r right but not many controller have it anyway. I use my tablet as XY ctrl

8. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

I could go and test it today if you like?

Here are some infos on your issiue:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jan12/articles/arturia-analog-laboratory.htm

9. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Phloopy man your so good person If you have time, yes go, and please try the midi control function as for the sounds I am already convinced by Arturia.

Thank you for the link, I already red this and much more, but you know, I don't really trust guys that wright reviews as a living.

That's why I come here and ask.

10. Dalmation

Dalmation Kapellmeister

"Ultra thin 61 keys with full action effect... "
    What does 'ultra thin' and 'full action' mean?

I would also like to know what the keys feel like to play?

Thanks.

11. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Dalmation I used my Cristal ball to guess what "Ultra thin 61 keys with full action effect" means and the spirit says:
    fragile plastic keyboard, if you'r looking for piano like touch, pass tour way. (And beware of the ladder) :rofl:

12. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Yep. Works as a universal midi controller. I have the KeyLab49 and I LOVE it. Great board. We need that reviews section up and running lol. I can review this board as I've had a few people ask me about it and feel that I have some expertise on it to give. :)

Also, the keys feel good to me. Not the best keys (don't feel like an 88 key full weighted or anything), but DEFINITELY not the worst either. They beat the goofy uneven feel of the akai boards by a mile. They have a decent weight to them but aren't super heavy either. I play a lot of FAST synth shred (been playing piano for 24 years, it's how I keep up my scales and finger dexterity) and this board excels at this task. VERY PLAYABLE. I would of course recommend you play the thing before you leap on it, but I have been very satisfied with it. The pitch and mod wheels are small, but they feel great to me. All knobs, faders, wheels, etc have a rubber coating on them that feels good and they have a nice resistance to them when used too. There is a quality feel throughout the board and its build quality FAR exceeds the novations, akais, m-audios, samsons, etc.

My only complaints:
    Analog Lab software is buggy.
    Only 11 presets to store midi settings in.
    Can't name said presets.

My Favorite Stuff:
    Board is built like a tank.
    Keys feel very good.
    16 backlit pads baby (I use poise for drums and these are amazing pads for this purpose).
    Good feel to knobs, etc.
    Looks amazing (I know it doesn't matter, but still lol).
    Easy to assign MIDI parameters.

13. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Just home after a trip to the local musicshop, and i was lucky! They had a setup with all 3 versions of Keylab, so I could play a little!

The quality of this hardware is the usual Arturia quality wich means exceptionel good! Its a heavy 61 keyed controller (7,5 Kg) wich is much if you compair with other midikeyboards with 61 keys, and that means you have a really solid music maschine infront of you.

I have no really experience when it comes to pads, but it worked ok for me!

The 61 semi weighted keys gives you a great feeling when you play - it´s not like playing on a plasticbag!

And now to your basic question:

Yes this is a midi keyboard, and you can run whatever plug/sampler whatever with it! Besides that, you get a complete synth with 5000 sounds!

If I had the money I would buy this little bastard right away - no doubt!

I played with it in 30 min. thats all, but I left the shop with a good feeling .... Its great Arturia have lowered their prizes and still makes quality!

That´s all :wink:

14. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Army of Ninjas and Phloopy People like you make this place amazing !!!

Phloopy, I cant believe you went to the store, !!! Man you are really incredible.... Thank you.

Thank you, now I begin to have an idea about this keyboard, and it seems its a good idea to get it both as synth and controller.
    Even though would be great if they do a 88 keys version.

15. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

This isn't a keylab. This is the analog laboratory. The keylab replaced them.

16. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

No problem Oly ..... I was pretty curious myself .... I could prolly buy one myself!

Army of Ninjas <----- you´re quite right!

I guess Arturia will develop their software, so these bugs will be gone one day!?!

17. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Yeah I sure hope so. I discovered a bug 2 days ago that doesn't allow sonar to export pitch bend wheel automation--which sucks as the patch "sync1" in analog lab is an EPIC synth shred patch.... I just want my pitch bends lol. One day they will be mine...

18. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

Yeah just map it to the control in your DAW.

19. Army of Ninjas

Army of Ninjas Rock Star

Oh one more thing:

Analog Lab uses the Steinberg eLicenser. So be aware of the pain in the ass that pc formats will become lol.

20. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Slap in face icon (missing) SHIT my religion don't allow use of dongle...

21. phloopy

phloopy Audiosexual

Steinberg eLicenser <----- OUSCHHTZZZ!!!

Wasnt awared of that .... guess that only goes for the synth, and you can use this midi keyboard without this protection???

Oly: eLicenser isnt a physical dongle - "only" software!

I have a huge collection of dongles here .... and I stopped using them several years ago *yes*