What has the Eurovision song contest got to do with music.

Discussion in 'humor' started by jefft, May 8, 2023.

1. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Oh yeah, they're obviously more sophisticated music-wise, but there's a couple of things at play, this requires one to understand the lyrics, cha cha cha doesn't. And since the contest is all about spectacle and audience can join in the chant during the song it's quite clear who's better suited.

2. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

What does the Eurovision Song Contest have to do with music?
    Nothing at all - it's a total hoax.Again, The total dumbing down.... !

Last edited: May 15, 2023
  3. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

Songs, even dull and/or bad ones, are music are they not? And for an event started to equalize European broadcasting standards and sort out colour TVs would you not say that a flashy show with lots of colours and motion is important?

The reason this whole shebang is popular and has a cult following outside Europe is that is garish, silly, campy, and just downright stupid.

The only entries (yes, I ended up watching the show actually due to insomnia) I'll remember is the Finnish one on last page which is worth a watch for the sheer WTF. The other one is the, umh, non-political Croatian one, again, music is secondary here:

These are genius.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

You have described very aptly. I will chisel this sentence in stone and put up in my garden on the street.

This one is not bad but not a song I would buy. A German sings in English, which has the advantage that the 180 million viewers, who have nothing better to do, also understand the lyrics.
    Lena - Satellite (Germany) Live 2010 Eurovision Song Contest

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

WHOA WHOA WHOA, don't you tell me it's a coincidence that Cha Cha Cha (which scored 2nd place in final) sounds like worse version of We Got The Moves by German's Electric Callboy, no fucking way
    :woot:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

German stuff was referenced, though it's rather Rammstein (Käärijä said he was trying to go for a similar menace with the vocals, but I don't think he succeeded in that well, not that it matters) or early EBM or New Beat stuff. Need to checkout Electric Callboy, which is new to me. Good stuff, but much much more metal so I guess the "worse" is a matter of preference. You don't get Cha Cha dancers doing an human centipede either :)

Interestingly one of the dudes from EC said he quite liked Cha Cha Cha.

A friend of mine is absolutely sure that the winning Swedish entry is a plain ripoff from some big pop song, but I imagine he's just sore from us losing to them...

Attached Files:

7. aleksalt

aleksalt Producer

Ok guys, lets call it a day...
    this song is the best on Eurovision since 1954

8. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

He's right you know

9. johnw

johnw Kapellmeister

Eurovision is another show that I'm not seeing for many years . Lately this has nothing to do with music ... The winner made his melody from pieces taken from other melodies ... Seem like , today is very hard to be original ...

Last edited: May 16, 2023
  10. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

had fun with friends watching it. We laughed so much about the performances and everything. The giving points was a joke as usual.
    Tbh i had so much fun watching it ... was worth it.

tbh most of their songs were generic, i couldnt even remember them, so we remembered them via the stage performance. the guy with the Halo like visuals or the girls with the song about Poe, etc but other than that its impossible.