What has happened to Toontrack Superior drummer 3 for mac ??

Discussion in 'Mac / Hackintosh' started by wadmixfm, Aug 17, 2018.

1. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Damn. I'm (ahem) somewhat familiar with where you speak, just can't imagine downloading that much stuff. I'm happy with SD2 -- it's 64-bit, my DAWs have no problems with it.

If you have Vienna Ensemble Pro, you'd just get the Windoze version of SD3 and link your Mac DAW via VEP on a PC. If you're asking about running Windoze VSTs on a Mac ... only as standalones. In other words, let's say you have the Windoze version of BREVERB 2, but you want to run it on a Mac in your DAW. You'd open the Windoze standalone version with Wine, then use JackOS (which I hate) to connect your DAW to BREVERB. To use Windoze VSTs, you would need a Windoze VST host standalone app running in Wine, which could then load a Windoze VST, which could then stream audio to and from your Mac DAW via JackOS. Whew!

2. Jeen

Jeen Producer

@Iggy i'have a disk just for the lib...i have sd2 , it's great but no comparaison
    i was thinking like you but jack is great man
    @jazzzz ensemble pro was my first goal but elicencerx64 not working at this time....
    don't be confuse , it'like a classic stand app ...
    i've uploaded a video sample
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/3vtwesv765p2xp1/sample.mov/file

Last edited: Aug 27, 2018
  3. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

wow ¡ fantastic ¡ yeah SD3 is amazing ¡ if you like real drum sounds. and real drum samples need a lot of Round robins.. at lot.. you can use the 50 g version or just use the software with smaller libraries like EZX Thank you Jeen ¡

4. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I'd be more inclined to download the library if I had USB3 capabilities and could, like you said, just put it on an external drive. Or buy the commercial version, which comes on its own SSD.

Like I keep saying, it seems pretty cool, but for me, it just has a lot of things I don't actually need, like beat detection/replacement. I have software for all that, or I can get specialized software for that. I don't use the track rendering function in SD2, either (where you can automatically render each piece of your drum kit out as sound files just by playing a MIDI track through SD2). The only reason I would get SD3 would be for that library ... although I'm not sure I'd ever be in a position where I would need an 11.1 surround kit.

5. Jeen

Jeen Producer

if the wine-trick is not clear for some of us ..... imagine it as an external table ....
    jack is a pilote and a virtual soundcard ...running on all systems ...
    you define in jack the number of your virtual in out in/out ...et voila
    load Jack pilot in LogicX or any mac daw , load the Jack pilot in sd3 ...link them ..
    make your template ...and its done

6. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Easier still: if you have to run it in Wine, you can't run it inside of your DAW. That's especially true for VSTs. Mac VSTs only inside of Mac DAWS and vice-versa. There are no VSTs involved in the Win SD3 Mac trick. JackOS is basically like Rewire, and you're wiring your DAW up to Wine (which is hosting standalone Windoze SD3).

7. Jeen

Jeen Producer

Yes it's the Standalone version so wine or not , tou have to rewire it in your DAW....
    have you tried it ??
    PS : mac VSTs only inside of Mac DAWS and vice-versa (at this time...)

8. william potanton

william potanton Newbie

the wine method is ok....it works......but my confusion comes from the fact that the library had been released on this format MONTHS ago so i don't get it but in having ez drummer and superior 2...its all good ......plus xlm is also a cool set so when they do they do and if they don't oh ....but the wine works really well.......10.11....

9. Jeen

Jeen Producer

thanks william for your feedback :wink:
    for information you can save all your connections settings in QjackCtl
    you can auto-connect with the patchbay option
    try my patchbay setting file (set for logic but you can copy for other Daw)
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/bn23w0qw8duuucc/PatchBay-SD3-LogixX.xml.zip/file
    load it and click on activate

PS : you can play SD2 or EZX midi-file in logic in the midi IAC track to SD3:mates:

10. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

I haven't tried SD3. The closest thing I've tried using JackOS was Harrison Mixbus, which has no built-in MIDI and is designed to be used as a front end for a regular DAW. It seemed sound, in theory, but it's probably easier to use one of any number of summing mixer plugs (you can get Airwindows Console 4 for free).

It's weird that they've never tried to make cross-platform VSTs, as that's the only plug format everybody seems to agree on.

11. Jeen

Jeen Producer

maybe for protection , because 1 format = just 1file to crack :dunno:
    the question is why TEAMS have never made that ? both platfoms run on X86-x64 arch :winker:
    anyway , maybe this wineVersion will active some Teams to Work on the native Mac AU&VST

12. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

The main problem with the Wine method is that you still can't run it inside your DAW as a plugin, you have to route audio and MIDI in and out of your DAW to Wine, so there would be a lot of stuff you still couldn't use, unless it had a standalone version. For example, I believe Soundtoys has a standalone rack version that lets you load Soundtoys plugs into it. You could load the rack up in Wine and use Soundtoys plugs that way, maybe. Or if you had a simple Windoze VST plugin player that let you load up VIs and FX plugs, you could open it in Wine and use Windoze VST-only VIs and FX that way. But you'd have to set up an auxiliary channel in your DAW to send and return FX through to Wine, and like this Wine-Jacked SD3, you'd have to use JackOS and load any Windoze VIs outside of your DAW.

I used to have Vista on Parallels, which could use my audio interface (and I think my USB jacks for MIDI). It's been a long while, so Parallels might have gotten better, but I'm wondering if you couldn't just have full Windoze running a plugin or a VI and stream audio and MIDI in the background that way?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  13. elvtnedge

elvtnedge Newbie

What site is this that you speak of? I’ve been looking for SD3 for Mac for a long time.

14. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

Nice try, Toontrack Legal Department!

15. Jeen

Jeen Producer

if you've been really looking this for a long time ...you must had already found it with google
    read the rules ....this forum don't provide non-legal links :dont:
    SD3 is avalaible here : https://www.toontrack.com :winker:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

It would have helped his case a bit if this hadn't been his very first post. Usually, the dudes who pop up out of nowhere and immediately ask something like this right off the bat never post again, especially when they get called out on it. It basically reads like some guy walking into a head shop wearing a three-piece suit and going "Hey, guys, I've been looking for the stuff that goes in these water pipes. No, not tobacco ... the other stuff. You know, the green stuff. Gives you the munchies, makes video games and cartoons more interesting? Anybody know where I can some of buy that green stuff that isn't tobacco? Like, can you give me the name of somebody or a phone number or a home address? I've been looking for it forever!"

17. lasteno

lasteno Platinum Record

after 1 year of the release date of SD3.. no luck for mac users.. the wait will continue for the real thing

18. Iggy

Iggy Rock Star

In all seriousness, didn't EZDrummer 2 for Mac come out at some point (I just checked and it did, including recent updates)? Given that all Toontrack stuff operates on the same type of security, it seems weird to me that SD3 hasn't also been k'd ... unless it goes back to my original theory that the Mac guys don't want to mess with that huge library. Or, security on SD3 may be different.

19. elvtnedge

elvtnedge Newbie

I’m not legal department lol and never been accused. I know a few “sites” and none of the ones I visit have this and on those sites people are saying it doesn’t exist. So imagine when I came in here and found out it’s out there somewhere. It was a harmless question... no disrespect meant.

20. thecastermaster

thecastermaster Ultrasonic

No discussing Warez or cracks in the forums.