What hard drive for Kontakt libraries in End 2019 ?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Ted, Oct 24, 2019.

1. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Some of the things he says are correct, some are debatable. For his "18:50 pci-e moment of truth" i strongly disagree. What he shows is indeed true in his case, but why... Clearly his system is badly or not optimized at all for high performance drives, it is obvious that "his" Win 7 doesn't know how to handle the particular drive, so does the DPC latency mon app and so does Cubase 7.5. Now i am NOT a trained computer technician, my fellow partner in the comp builds though, has a Master's degree in Computer Sciences and as i 've mentioned before i have learned a lot from him over the years.
    So, the case i'm looking at here is the ssd's driver monopolizes the cpu usage since it takes high priority by being a pci-e device which is directly connected to the cpu interface. And this is a clear system malfunction, it shouldn't be happening. Because this behavior exhibited in his system should virtually apply to any application demanding priority, not just a DAW, therefore rendering the pci-e drive more or less useless in his case.
    I can assure you and everyone else, that what he reports there, is untrue to any modern system, even under Win 7 if it's properly optimized. I could even argue that with Win7 you may lose some functionality supported natively by late Win10 builds, but the overall lower system footprint may indeed be a reason for some to stick with it indefinitely. But this is another story really and one we 've discussed extensively in the past.
    I recently upgraded a friend's 15" Alienware laptop (6-core i7, last year's model) with a 1tb Samsung 970 EVO Plus. While this guy shows 2 midi channels with obvious hiccups with his obscure(?) laptop, the Alienware did 8 Omnispheres & 8 Falcon channels plus 4 Diva instances while recording vocals with real time monitoring at 2 ms with an RME Fireface UFX+ connected via Thunderbolt, all with the one single Samsung 970 drive under Cubase 10 Pro.
    So, what he says at 18:50 was never valid. Not then not now. His observation that the pci-e drive somehow locks the cpu is indeed valid, but he has no clue as to why this happens and how to fix it. Well... he should :D.
    Almost all my clients' builds the last two years contain pci-e system drives and believe me when i say i have zero dissatisfied customers. In fact i have customers that have stuck with me for their occasional builds and upgrades for almost 2 decades.
    Cheers :D

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  2. Ted

Ted Member

Thanks for your answer ! very helpful. I checked, I can mount a Samsung nvme m.2 970 series in my trash can macpro. But I need to use a Sintech adapter
    https://www.amazon.com/Sintech-Adap...me+ssd+adapter+card+upgrade+2013-2015+macbook

I'm a bit scared about overheating because evo has no sink attached, maybe i should buy an Intel but which one ?...based on this :
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8643139?page=1

3. taskforce

taskforce Audiosexual

Nothing to be scared of mate. There are tons of third party m.2 heatsinks that are compatible with all 2280 m.2 ssd cards (like the Samsung 970s) sold in newegg, amazon etc, selling for like 5-15 bucks or so. Pick the one that suits your case and you 're good to go (I guess too tall ones may not fit).
    https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=M.2 NVMe Heatsink&Order=PRICE
    And actually, if there is some airflow within the case you don't need one at all, nand flash runs better warm. You should consider nominal operational temperature for an ssd from 30-50 Celcius and up to 70 degrees. Now if you fry the damn thing at something like 80+ Celcius, you should know you 've been warned :). But up to 70 celcius (and perhaps 75 too depending on usage) you will have np.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
  4. Ted

Ted Member

Ok I'll try without heatsink then. Anyway I don't know if any could fit my trash can macpro ... thx