What guitar pedal effects plugins are good for a 303 synth?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Bunford, May 9, 2023.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I use both an analogue hardware 303 clone as well as 303 plugins. Just wondering what people think the best overdrive, distortion, chorus, delay, reverb type of guitar pedal plugins are best to use on a 303 bass synth?

3. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

That question is almost as unanswerable as:

"What guitar pedal effects plugins are good for a guitar ?"

What constitutes "good effects" is very subjective no matter what the soundsource.
    It's a matter of both personal taste and what a song calls for. You have literally
    thousands of VST's at your disposal. My best advice would be to do your own
    homework. Try a bunch and see what YOU like! What I, or anyone else, likes is
    irrelavant IMHO.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Line 6 Plugins are great. (Helix and Metallurgy)

D16 Distortion plugins, for got its name.

FF Saturn 2 works also good.

Stock distortion plugins in Daws?

5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Agree with both posts above. If you still for some reason want or need something ~'authentic' > MXR Distortion Plus, ProCo RAT

6. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

7. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

Whereas this is mostly true, it's also not entirely correct. For example, a Japanese Boss pedal will be hugely superior to Behringer cheapo pedal, and I'm sure the same is true in the plugin world too?!

8. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

9. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I got this and am loving it on everything.

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

tons of creative options and none of them are "Wrong". Some I like on 303, Klevgrand Squashit! it is a light multiband distortion. UVI Shade/FF Volcano, Devious Machines Infiltrator. Minimal Audio Rift. Izotope Trash2, and a few others. Tone Projects Kelvin. Logic's Overdrive/Phat FX/StepFX (so old school Camelphat/Camelspace if you don't use Logic)). SerumFX. FF Timeless 3. Juno chorus. Pretty hard to make a good 303 line sound "bad" (or really easy ;) ). Experiment within the context of the song. I don't think you should constrain yourself to "pedals". Amplitube and Guitar Rig found their way on to lots of tracks with 303. If you are really determined to buy some pedal, get a Sovtek Big Muff. At least you will get your money back when you sell it and go back to plugins.

if you are up for a laugh: https://reverb.com/item/62803188-pr...-knob-museum-grade-with-box-and-warranty-card. it (v1 rat) can be yours for just under 8,000$! :woot:

Last edited: May 9, 2023
  11. itsybitsy_

itsybitsy_ Kapellmeister

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

TS-808

Sorry, someone had to say it :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  13. phumb-reh

phumb-reh Guest

I came in here coming to make this joke, but funnily enough TS and clones work really well with a 303. It's not an exact clone but I've used a Digitech Bad Monkey for years, though they're out of production and apparently expensive to get. But a Tube Screamer clone should serve you well. Aforementioned RAT is great as well, also great with other monosynths.

An autofilter or a harmonic synth can be good as well, my go-tos are a Boss SYB3 and a Electro-Harmonix Micro Synth, but a virtual plugin will work just as well.

14. Triphammer

Triphammer Producer

Unless you have ACTUALLY A/B'd Boss and Behringer pedals, your assertion that: "a Japanese Boss pedal will be hugely superior to Behringer cheapo pedal." is just so much unsubstantiated nonsense. Granted the BUILD QUALITY is better with Boss pedals, BUT, I detest the sound of the ubiquitus Boss DS-1....there are several Behringer distorions, that despite the cheap build quality, are sonically superior to Boss.

Now that's just my opinion but I'm far from alone in it. And I'm not just making assumptions. I have extensively tested many Boss, Behringer pedals as well as a multitude of pedals from other manufacturers. And now that Behringer owns TC Electronics they are building much more rugged pedals and have several distorions AND fuzz pedals that sound superior, (IMHO), to similar offerings from Boss. Don't make asumptions unless you have the experience and facts to do so.

15. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have A'B'd and it's not unsubstantiated. It's my opinion. And many other's opinions. So you did actually make the assumption that I have not A/B'd them :rofl: Having been a guitarist since the early 90's and played for over 30 years, I can assure you I have A/B'd a LOT of expensive and cheap guitar pedals!

And I'm someone who has and uses Behringer gear, including synths, rack units, and so on, so have no aversion to cheap gear nor am I anti-Behringer/budget gear.

16. stopped

stopped Producer