What goes on your master channel when mixing already mixed tracks (Megamix)

Discussion in 'DJ Mixsets' started by Sylenth.Will.Fall, Jul 26, 2016.

1. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Sylenth.Will.Fall Audiosexual

Whilst I'll just use a limiter for good quality recordings, this question is more to do with bad recordings that you just cannot find a better version of.

Up until now I've used an EQ on individual channels to boost certain frequencies, or multiband compression. Maybe there is a better way I have overlooked?

3. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

Already mixed tracks are in a remix? Or are you trying to extract very specific elements from a recording where there are a lot of background noises and artifacts.

If it is really important and worth the time, a pass through Izotope RX, or Adobe Audition in spectral edit mode might help a bit. Sony has one too, though I've never run into it so I do not know how effective it is but I would guess that it works pretty well. There are limits, and digital editing and restoration work usually eclipses the cost of just retracting something most of the time.

If the performance is worth saving though, those are probably the best tools to use.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  4. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Depends the project, stem-mixing (sometimes already processed, sometimes not, but I'll do some leveling before mastering), djmix-mastering, etc. Usually; nothing. I've got a waves ssl comp on the bus and an l1 but I use those only for refference and when I bounce; nothings on my m-bus. If I happen to run shit through any outboard, I'll print to my pro tools box or the DA3000 and will not bounce within the DAW (for timing and jitter reasons bringing the signal back into the same box). If I'm too level a djmix, not mastering, I run it through Ozone. Sometimes when I have to do some restoration work from old tapes, or cassette tapes I'll usually reach for my dbx, C4 & L2.
    Cheers!

• List
  5. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

I run my mixes through some of those "mastering" plug ins and run A/B compare the pre-sets to the mix with nothing added. If it sounds better, I'm not above letting Saphira or something like that do what it wants. Many of those types of plug ins are mostly multi-band compression. If you are planning on letting people hear it on SoundCloud or YouTube, there are tutorials for mixes just for that type of media.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  6. I am of the mind that if you have the ability, sum your mix outside of the DAW enviornment.

• Like Like x 2
    • List
  7. StupidifiedMoneky

StupidifiedMoneky Member

What goes on the master, stays on the master.
    Next question?

8. Sylenth.Will.Fall

As a crude example, say I wanted to build a mix featuring up to date highly compressed pop songs, with an 80's song downloaded from some website at very poor quality. I'm happy to leave the pop songs to their own devices and put a master compressor/limiter or just a limiter on the master channel, but that leaves me with a completely out of kilter 80's track that needs building up.

I see where you're going with that idea, but the problem would still remain, mixing lots of new songs and sticking in an old 80's poorly mastered pre compressed track.

Hmmm, Harmonic distortion. maybe I could try that.
    That still wouldn't resolve the issue I have though, because ozone would adjust everything, unless on individual tracks.

I suppose the thing I'm after is a vst that allows me to find a track and copy the way that sounds and manipulates audio of all other tracks to sound similar.

9. Nimbuss

Nimbuss Platinum Record

Don't forget about the Waves Center or similar plugins like the Brainworx bx_control, Mid Side techniques help a lot whenever I use a sample which has been through Youtube or bad codec, i'll use that to 'even out' whatever isn't blending or even the the Izotope Stereo enhancer just to mono the bass or spread the hats for example.. I'm no pro on Mid-side as i'm aware of how much damage it can do. But hey if nothing vanishes when referencing in mono who cares right?

10. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Working with Mid/Side has ALWAYS been a mystery to me. Thanks I will certainly look into that.

11. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

Best Answer
    ... you could have a look at Waves Q Clone.

12. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Am I right in thinking this will clone my hardware EQ???????????

I've just seen Yoad Nevo explain how to do it. Man this is really exciting. thank you ever so much for this.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2016
  13. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

Ozone can clone an eq as well. I think Pro q too. Another good one to liven up the kicks in old mixes is bx boom

• Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. The Teknomage

The Teknomage Rock Star

I know this is going to sound stupid, and it probably is, but couldn't you bounce the modern tracks down to the level of the 80's track, mix them, and try to bring them back up together.

• List
  15. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Wait.... Fab filter Q2 can clone an external EQ too?

It's not stupid at all. I like your way of thinking. The thing is I might find among a mix of say 100 tracks (all 80's) 5 or 6 that sound as if they have a very low bitrate, and if I lowered all to their level I think that might take more work.

16. mozee

mozee Audiosexual

I don't see why you need anything on the master buss, teat each track or each class of track as its own channel.

Say you want to get into modern turdic loudness but have a few tracks for the 80s that are at 15 LUFS instead of the -7-5 LUFS that is standard now you leave the 2CH Sum Alone and just compress and limit on a bus.

As far as the quality goes for some tracks that are heavily distorted and have compression artifacts and lossy aliasing , you should attempt to find a better source, even zynaptiq unchirp which does a great job as restoring some of those tracks has its limits.

If you are doing this live, then that is the art of DJing but even then you have at least 2 channels and a DJ mixer use the volume knob and the AB slider to adjust transition and loudness, remember that loudness is somewhat a precieved power, which can be altered by changing the output power translating compressed loudness into SPL levels - the volume knob is always king.

17. 23322332

23322332 Rock Star

All the modern tracks that are super loud have less details and sound more plastic, because of the artifacts from the overcompression.
    You can't mix tracks from the 80s with tracks from 2015 on the same volume via compression without losing not only sound quality, but also the soul of the music.
    All the idiots that listen to their mp3 and phone players in the subway every day will probably be deaf in their 40s.
    Sound quality doesn't equal loudness.

18. jaymo99

jaymo99 Platinum Record

for EQ cloning I quite like Voxengo Curve EQ , just saying :winker:

19. subGENRE

subGENRE Audiosexual

20. Sylenth.Will.Fall

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I've considered all the options you've given me. I think the best one for me is Waves Q clone Thanks again @artwerkski

21. artwerkski

artwerkski Audiosexual

U're very welcome! :winker: