What FX effects were used in this female voice?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by transmit³, Sep 20, 2022.

1. transmit³

transmit³ Kapellmeister

I would like to add effects to a female voice that ends up sounding like this one!

Does anyone know what FX plugins are used here....
    Reverb or delay or shimmer or vibrato, or all of them ? and maybe what plugin names they are ?

I'm especially interested in the shimmering vibrato or tremolo, that female voice....

3. ptpatty

ptpatty Platinum Record

Lots of reverb and possibly a little delay. The vibrato is produced by the singer's voice.

4. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

I have no idea who the singer is but she has Celtic roots and the vibrato is very centric to that style of singing. In places her vibrato varies from medium to fast. Listen to Kate Bush's works - similar approaches...The prominence in the mix is kudos to the EQ'ing skill of the engineer. The reverb? It sounds like a convolution/algorithmic reverb and I would not try to guess the plugin. It does have plate qualities though I still would not guarantee that. An IR done in a Cathedral set to around 20% where the Cathedral is made from both timber and metal would give a similar effect.
    Altiverb 7 or 2CAether you can achieve this easily.
    In other words the tone, vibrato and phrasing is Celtic in approach and the rest I would only be guessing.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2022
  5. transmit³

transmit³ Kapellmeister

You are right, it is indeed the natural female voice....I found it earlier via SHAZAMS.

it's "Clannad" in Schiller & Moya Brennan - Falling HD

Moya Brennan Pure
    thank you :)

6. clone

clone Audiosexual

That would be a great spot to deploy some additional fx on the vocal. Was this done in Logic? The stock Modulation plugins are nearly the order you mentioned them in, vertically in that menu. :)

[​IMG]

7. AKAIBOY

AKAIBOY Member

8. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

The vibrato is natural. Here's a Kate Bush live with only piano. While not the greatest of her songs for me, each time she sings the word "breathing" her vibrato is fast and almost tremelo-like naturally like the woman in your post.
    It's natural. FX do not produce the same vibrato, not even close. FX tends to be static/fixed being the same each time unless you change the knobs each time(highly unlikely). Human vibrato is variable. That's how you tell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  9. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Yeah, sounds like natural "tremolo/shimmering". But depending of your source you can of course do it with a plugin. It won't sound as good probably.

10. BaSsDuDe

BaSsDuDe Audiosexual

Tremelos tend not to decay the same way, headphones will tell you. Sure you can play with the ADSR and get close but the breathing and voice air you cannot mimic even with a great reverb. You can of course sample a real voice and crossfade it but that too is not the same thing.

11. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Agreed. It would need some brilliant modulation of some parameters of the plugin and still lack. I haven't heard examples of voice tremolos made by plugins and probably because it's too difficult as you say.

12. transmit³

transmit³ Kapellmeister

13. Nefarai

Nefarai Ultrasonic

btw, vibrato = pitch, tremolo = volume fluctuations.
    Don't be confused by the 'trem' or whammy bar on a guitar, that actually creates vibrato and not tremolo :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  14. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

Send (parallel)->EQ/filter (wide mid-range bandpass)->plate/shimmer->delay->Leslie