What format should I convert my .wavs?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by ghostwriter, Feb 24, 2020.

1. Haliax

Haliax Guest

I'm going to go back to storing all my music on vinyl, it takes up hardly any space at all and sounds so much better

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2020
  2. pratyahara

pratyahara Rock Star

Any lossy compression (as it name says) entails a quality loss. So it I out of question.

FLAC (hi-res) is as lossless compression format which supports hi-res sample rates, takes up about half the space of WAV, and stores metadata. Over the years it became a standard for lossless audio comression, so most audio software supports it.
    It compresses audio much better than general use compression software like RAR or ZIP.
    And FLAC compression is not a conversion to another format, it works like RAR, when you decompress FLAC you get a bit-to-bit identical original WAV, there's no encoding to some lossy format and then decoding back to WAV with data loss.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  3. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That's right. It's a flac-like compression but designed for fast decompression and it gives frankly impressive results.

4. curtified

curtified Rock Star

I didn't read through all the posts so forgive me. But I use this app called tidy up on mac to organize all of my samples. You see how wild it is when companies reuse the same samples and just rename them.

You can free up gigs of space.

Even deleting random files like presets, demos, info, etc from sample packs helps free up space

EDIT MY B - I didn't realize it was audio u recorded

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  5. Futurewine

Futurewine Audiosexual

as another option, you can also try to find/buy/reuse the used/old/refurbished internal hdd and use hdd enclosure to turn it into external storage via usb.. i think for just storing audio files, it's better and cost efficient than getting new external hdd/ssd/m.2 for such purpose.. :shalom: