What format should I convert my .wavs?

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by ghostwriter, Feb 24, 2020.

1. ghostwriter

ghostwriter Member

Hello.
    A few days ago I've run out of space on the hard drive I put my libraries on.
    Since most of them are in .WAV format, which is quite heavy, I was wondering what format I could convert these to, so I could free up space with minimal quality loss. OGG and FLAC come to mind, but I'm not sure which is better for this situation.
    Also thinking about doing the same to some Kontakt libraries but I'm afraid I might break something.

Help??
    Thanks.

3. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I would say FLAC but I'm honestly not familiar with OGG, at least not in this context so looking forward to what people say.

4. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The only option without losing quality is FLAC. Well, there are others but it's the most common. That means Flac files are kind of audio oriented zip or rar files.

OGG files can contain Vorbis or Opus compression formats, both lossy. Like MP3. AAC, m4a, and so on.

As for Kontakt, unless the llibrary is very old, the wav files are already compressed in ncw files. You can think of ncw files as Kontakt's flac-like own format. Lossless compression, without quality loss.

Nkx files just contain lots of ncw ones for convenience.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2020
  5. recycle

recycle Guest

Buy a new hdd

• Agree x 10
    • Like x 1
    • Dislike x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Winner x 1
    • List
  6. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I've never thought of OGG as any kind of audiophile format but things change, codecs improve... FLAC has a proven track record though.

7. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Seriously. That. 4Tb costs less than $100 now. You can compress your music but it won't buy you that much space in the long haul. Buy a new drive.

8. Qrchack

Qrchack Rock Star

That's still like converting all your samples to MP3 at 320kbps.

9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

You mean OGG,right? Yes, exactly. I wouldn't do it.

10. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

You don't convert samples to shrik them in size, you just buy an appropriately sized storage medium!

REASONs: Format Compatibility with your DAW and Sound quality. People who suggest to convert high quality waves to mp3 are probably the same people who only listen to music on youtube and make beats in ripped versions of FL Studio. ;)

In other words: everything else than buying a suitable storage medium is a cheepsakte move. Are you a cheepsake, @ghostwriter?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • List
  11. Dalty

Dalty Member

There's really no good reason to not use .FLAC, other than the fact that it can be a pain to work with in some DAWs, and there may be a small chance of some janky encoding/decoding when bouncing to a .WAV 2-track. Nothing you'll really be able to hear though. Or you could just buy more storage like these other guys are saying. 1a & 1b.

12. Polomo

Polomo Guest

OK like all write above.
    OGG and FLAC doesn't help much to got that much space, besides the lost of quality .

Only option beside buying an HDD/SSD

Cloud and delete.

Cloud (all Samples you'll like but think you'll use few (google drive 15 GB for free ))

sorting and delete (All samples you'll never use.)
    and OverDisk or some similar App for sorting your files (maybe the Problem are some old, hidden Windows/Mac files or something similar ) and Antitwin for files you´ll got double.

And maybe if your drive is so full it's some form of G.A.S. which is a different problem.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2020
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

The OP is asking because he doesn't know. He didn't even mention MP3 and I'm pretty sure everybody can tell he's concerned about not losing quality.
    Why are you ranting about MP3 and cheepsakes?

BTW, Kontakt converts samples to shrink them in size. Toontrack too.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  14. pizzafresser

pizzafresser Producer

FLAC for lossless and OPUS for lossy

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  15. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

I was misreading some of the comments. But I stand by my statement: DON'T CONVERT SAMPLES – GET MORE STORAGE!

BTW, as far as I know, Kontakt compresses samples to shrink the library and decompresses them on load which is a totally different process than conversion!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  16. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Name one DAW which supports FLAC natively. From a perspective of a production workflow it makes no sense using FLAC files to store samples. Every time you want to use them you have to re-convert them. Total creativity killer.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  17. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

Well, of course, more storage never hurts. I didn't disagree on that.
    I'm not sure if I get you here.
    Kontakt loads them compressed to RAM and then decompresses/play them on-the-fly. Hats off to Native Instruments developers for that.
    Toontrack VSTis (EzKeys and Drummers) load them uncompressed, like you said decompress them while loading.
    Anyways, they both work great. The goal is to reduce space on the disk which is what the OP asked.

You're right in the sense of DAW productivity. Only when you load them directly on the DAW withouit using plugin samplers. Compatibility aside, if you aren't storing a copy of everything in the project folder it isn't productive.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  18. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

Well, you were talking about Kontakt and Toontrack converting samples to shrink the library. And I said, no, it's not a conversion, it's compression. So you either picked the wrong term 1st time or you don't know the difference. One is like zip/rar, the other is actually degrading the sound quality of the samples.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List
  19. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

That's not true.
    The terms you wanna use instead of those are lossless (flac, rar, zip) or lossy (mp3, aac) compression.
    Conversion is a much wider concept. wav to aif is also a conversion but there's no compression involved.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2020
  20. 5teezo

5teezo Audiosexual

HERE is WHAT YOU SAID: "BTW, Kontakt converts samples to shrink them in size. Toontrack too."

From what you say now, I conclude that you meant lossless compression without changing the content if the files. Right?

But Conversion to shrink file sizes to me always means: a) re-encoding the audio stream of a file thereby b) degrading the audio quality and c) change of file format/container. AND THAT IS NOT WHAT KONTAKT DOES, so it's just a simple lossless file compression, not a conversion.

In other words: It would have been on you to chose the correct wording, not me.

Thank you. Have a nice day. Stop bothering me.

21. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I don't know why are you trying so hard to prove I'm mistaken in something. You are behaving like a child.
    But it takes two persons to reason in a debate, so I'll gladly leave at it.