What expression pedals are you all using on your midi controllers/synths?

Discussion in 'Instruments' started by saccamano, Oct 27, 2023.

1. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

Been looking at getting one (an expression pedal that is) for my keyboard controller, but I have found a LOT of junky all plastic offerings from many established as well as newer vendors. Most of these units don't look like they would withstand the weight of my foot let alone last for any length time in light studio use.

Are there any of these things that are made of actual METAL that doesn't look like it will break just by looking at it? Used to be every pedal I saw a keyboard, guit, or bass player using were ALL made of good strong rigid material (some sort of metal, NOT plastic) and lasted a good long time. Doesn't seem to be the case anymore...

3. Midge F

Midge F Platinum Record

4. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

Junky all plastic. Disposable; they actually hold up decently well anyway but if not it's cheap to replace. Now sustain pedal, that's a different story completely but exp, I just don't go that hard on them.

5. Strat4ever

Strat4ever Rock Star

I use, five Roland DP-2 pedals, a Roland EV-5 expression pedal, and two M-Audio EX-P Expression pedals they are made of plastic and none of them have ever broken or failed. The Idea of plastic being inferior or cheap is wrong, they are quite durable, on the bottom of the DP-2 pedals I put velcro strips, to secure them in place on my pedal boards, the expressions have metal bases. I do also own BOSS metal volume pedals so apart from the weight there is no difference in reliability. If you really want metal buy any of the BOSS Volume pedals and wire them up to your needs, or you can even get some inexpensive metal ones on amazon and try those out.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2023
  6. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I have two Moog EP-3 pedals. I bought the second after liking the first enough to get a second. One is on my controller and one the Polybrute. The pedals feel exactly alike and play smoothly and accurately. I replaced a Kurzweil CC1 which was much more expensive and which sucked so badly that it was ridiculous...I couldn't even give it away.

7. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

I also use the M-Audio plastic one. I'm heavy footed (and heavy-handed..) and it's survived everything I've thrown at it, including being dropped and accidentally swung around on the end of the cable (cough, cough). It's also so cheap that you can treat it as disposable. I paid just over a tenner for mine.

8. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

I also have different expression pedals (including the moog one) and the problem is not so if they are made of plastic, but the durability of the pot inside. They all have their structure intact, but the pots are bad (noisy) so the expression don't work as it should.
    So I'm also looking for a reliable expresión pedal that come with good electronic.

9. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

I was searching for a USB pedal about 10 years ago to use soley for VST guitar amp sim plugins for wah, there was nothing available at the time but I believe there is now at least one. But it isn't cheap.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ev-1-wl/

I'm surprised Behringer haven't made one (as far as I know).

10. Sanskritter

Sanskritter Ultrasonic

Lehle Dual Expression Pedal, it's faultless and uses magnetic sensor technology, without mechanical wear.
    I use it to control external devices via TRS and to control VST elements via USB. Recommended.

• Interesting Interesting x 3
    • List
  11. Midge F

Midge F Platinum Record

If you have a MIDI keyboard with an expression pedal input, you can use any of the aforementioned pedals with a 1/4 inch jack cable. I use my EP-3 Pedal mainly for Wah, but can also use it to control various other parameters in vsts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  12. saccamano

saccamano Rock Star

It's also about the values of the POT's themselves. The 50KΩ pots are apparently not able to give a nice even level shift throughout the FULL motion of pedal movement, so it doesn't feel natural. The 10KΩ pots are supposed to be the sweet spot in pedal smoothness of level shift and range of motion both.

I believe I have found one that is not dependent on batteries (passive) or power of any kind, uses quality material and parts (uses 10K pots, and built like a tank), the linkage being well thought out so that it doesn't destroy the POT over time, and is all metal construction. The link is to their B-Stock site where I got mine from (cheaper price for the same gear). The Mission EP-1. Been messing around with it and couldn't be happier so far. These are the kinds of pedals I used to see musicians running around with back in the day. Most of those folks still have those pedals today and are still using em...
    https://themissionspace.com/shop/expression-pedals/
    The main site has all their stuff, exp pedals, wah's, volume's, etc...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2023
    • Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  13. Olymoon

Olymoon Moderator

Thank you. For more than 200 euros, it must be the best expression pedal of the universe.

Thank you. Mission space pedal seems good. I'll see if they ship to where I live and for how much.

14. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

15. DoubleTake

DoubleTake Audiosexual

Roland EV-5 and various pedals / footswitches through an Audiofront Midi Expression.
    I love the ability to set CC number, filter, profiles and all the rest, but even without the software, just as an interface for merging, etc, it's great.
    https://www.audiofront.net/MIDIExpression.php
    Seems they are out of stock for various ones for a month - 3 months.

16. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

The way I do it is any pedals that I use come right after the guitar.

17. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

It will certainly work that way, I'm wondering how much the wah pedal affects the tone when it isn't turned on, or any other pedals I suppose - I have a couple that are true bypass, although in my case I think vst effects have surpassed these (apart from my Strymon Bluesky which is probably an example of an effect that would need to be in a send/return as it comes last).

Never mind, I'm overthinking it as usual!

Thanks for the reply.

• Like Like x 1
    • List
  18. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

If you want to of course use your sweet Bluesky as the go-to reverb in conjunction with your DAW it certainly needs to be used on a send/return loop. Have you thought about using a patchbay to have more flexibility? The Motu M4 hasn't much in the way of extra in and outputs. Even a used ADAT mic pre could open up your routing possibilities.

• List
  19. Crinklebumps

Crinklebumps Audiosexual

Yeah, I've often thought of getting a patchbay because I'm accumulated a great deal of outboard gear. I'm always in two minds though because of how good plugins are now. Some of my pedals are becoming valuable, maybe I should sell them...

• List
  20. ItsFine

ItsFine Platinum Record

21. grdh20

grdh20 Platinum Record

Mission.