What effects do you always need on the rap vocals

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by popchau, Jan 10, 2019 at 2:04 AM.

1. popchau

popchau Newbie

Since I want to study bachelor of arts in audio and film I want to gain some experience. Since my hobby is rapping I always have tracks ovo.fyi/1337x ovo.fyi/kissasian ovo.fyi/mangastream to learn on but I am not a tutorial guy. I just can't watch tutorials longer than 5 minutes actively. I don't know what program and what effects to use for mixing tracks.

I am recording with REAPER right now, though I got Ableton Live 10 Suite. But i dont quite get that program. Thinking about Cubase.

My question is just: What effects like reverb and so on do you always need on the rap vocals? And do you got good tips for someone trying to get started

Thanks for the help already!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019 at 5:26 PM
  3. tooloud

tooloud Platinum Record

Don't do it alone. Find some friends, or even one person who shares your interest and you'll learn more than from YouTube. It's why in the old days, the first thing you did to get into music was form a band. Which in my case was me on my mum's home organ and a buddy with an acoustic guitar.

4. Olymoon

Olymoon Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. Staff Member

5. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

In deed, I suggest you close this thread. :yes:

6. Olymoon

Olymoon Impossible is not a fact. It is an opinion. Staff Member

As the real topic is different, I've changed the title... Better than delete.

7. No Avenger

No Avenger Audiosexual

[​IMG], you're right, now it is (because he changed the o-post).

8. The Pirate

The Pirate Platinum Record

Effects that you always need in a rap vocal? If there was such a formula, there wouldn't be a need for mixing engineers. What you need or better said, what you will ALWAYS use is what fits best with the track you are creating. There is no such a thing as one fits all. Listen to your favorite records and try to pick the processing. IF you don't know, post it here and we will let you know. You have guys here who make a living out of mixing and will give you a proper answer.

9. tooloud

tooloud Platinum Record

Damn it! Now that the question has changed my answer is out of context. Okay, you need the new UAD2 Lexicon 480L plugin. It's $349. I assume you have a UA Apollo? If not, get the top of the line at around $4,200. And for great rap vocals pair it with a Townsend Sphere microphone. Around $1,500. You're all set.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  10. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Member

so i dont know how familiar you are with mixing in general, but in my opinion reverb, delay and all that wont sound good and tight without the proper processing signal that makes the vocal stand on its own, first id recommend you get familiar with plugins (either third party or stock) and have a go to chain that you like, and able to control, and color the vocal how you wish.

if it can help you or anyone, in general my chain for a rap vocal with a little dirt and bite to it look something like this:
    Little Radiator - Waves SSL 4000E - FabFilter Q3 - Black Rooster Audio VEQ-1P - VLA-3A - De-esser - Rvox + Devil-Loc as a parallel

TLDR: with links
    once i got that setup completed i move to reverb and delays etc... :
    - Kleverb (very nice sounding algorithmic reverb from Klevgrand)
    - Little Plate (simple, a little bit limited plate reverb)
    - EchoboyJr (great, easy, and fast to work with delay)
    - J37 (both saturation and delay!)
    - Devil-Loc Deluxe (use this as a parallel effect to dial in very gently for beautiful constant saturation)
    - Microshift + SPL Vitalizer MK2 (this is lowkey a secret of mine, use these two together in parallel to give the vocal an extra widening effect that really sticks out, that stereo expand knob on the Vitalizer is sooo nice)

these are mainly what i use, sorry if i went too deep on this lol i just love these stuff

11. tooloud

tooloud Platinum Record

All jokes aside. I'd say a single multifunction plugin like Izotope Nectar will give a vocal most modern effects in one package.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  12. vuuru_keg

vuuru_keg Member

i agree, if one doesnt want to go in deep with the mixing process and learning it, and just want a pretty good sounding vocal fast, nectar is a great option

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. wasgedn

wasgedn Audiosexual

try out that preamps you actually gone to use from arturia....

14. korte1975

korte1975 Rock Star

i really recommend the great " gold-teeth-remover" from waves

15. Rudy Manterie

Rudy Manterie Kapellmeister

"iZotope The T-Pain Effect" :bleh:

16. tooloud

tooloud Platinum Record

If I want that effect I just phone him and say "hey, Faheem bro, I need a favor" he then says "who da f*ck is diss?." and I hang up. Apart from the cost of phoning from Australia and the fact that I don't have his number, it's a pretty cool prank. In theory.

17. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

popfilter.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  18. KungPaoFist

KungPaoFist Platinum Record

Put a little distortion from a plugin that has a wet/dry knob so you can make the vocals cut through the mix a bit, then maybe a compressor, could be stock but in the past I've had some results with a fast attack and fast release. possibly start around 4:1 and try both directions. Don't make it too squashed, use all of these spices to make it cut through clearly but still having some dynamics. Try rolling off the bass frequencies starting around 100hz and move up slightly until the vocal sits comfortable inside the beat. for more clarity you can give a little eq bump around 7kz somewhere too.

19. junh1024

junh1024 Platinum Record

Somewhat true, but you'll probably always want at least an EQ on a mix.

20. The Pirate

The Pirate Platinum Record

You are correct. Problem with OP's question is the inclusion twice of "always need" as an adverb. That turns the goal of the question away from the answer been sought because of the restricting meaning of "always need" which is "without exception". OP should have asked "what effects would you suggest/recommend for a rap vocal?"

Last edited: Jan 11, 2019 at 2:57 AM
  21. Infidel

Infidel Producer

Mute button.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List