What drum machine should I choose to make complex drums

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Djord Emer, Mar 24, 2023.

1. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Hello @Djord Emer, the ESX are great and are very popular to this day but they are hard to buy used, the downside to buying used, should you be lucky enough to get one, you have no warranty - it may break. I would therefore recommend the new edition.

Korg Electribe Blue - 449 € www.korg.com/us/products/dj/electribe/

Plus
    • finally dynamic
    • 4-fold internal polyphony (limited) as for controlling external synths
    • 16 real tonal tracks.
    • good much improved sound
    • Effect per instrument, full 16 tracks
    • many characteristic filter types
    • Micro timing well and easily integrated
    Source: https://www-amazona-de.translate.go...l=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  2. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Those aren't available here afaik so unfortunately I can't tell you
    Unfortunately that's not available here... At least I can say ESX1 are cheap here, they're all around $300 for some reason.

Thanks for the suggestion! I already have my ITB workflow with Renoise so, at least for now, I'm covered... but I'll take a look and see whats Beat Scholar about.

3. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

Oh, not available...!
    At this price, I would buy the ESX-1 immediately.
    Sometimes the tubes are broken, but you can replace them.

4. railkiller2376

railkiller2376 Ultrasonic

• List
  5. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Oh, interesting, care to say a bit more why besides the market price?

6. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

I owned and use the " Korg - Electribe EMX-1 SD ", the device is large and heavy, the knobs are very accurate and firm and turn well, it's fun to work with. The chaser programming is just as fast and intuitive. The display is sufficiently large.

There is hardly anything like the EMX and ESX today - it is simply too expensive to produce - too much metal and too many heads - all this costs money, which is saved today - see Electribe 2 - the manufacturers save many buttons and regulate everything via the software, the result of the savings program is a shimmy through the menu navigation, which is time consuming and no fun.

The EMX is large and clear: : Dimensions (W x D x H): 358(W) x 259(D) x 62(H) mm. 3 KG weight.
    The EMX.1 and the ESX-1 are pretty much the same.

Korg.jpg

7. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I agree, its really fun to play and sounds also really nice, I have a friend which has both the EMX1 and the ESX1 and we recorded some jams a couple months ago, that was really what sparkled my initial interest. But despite those yummy tubes its more of a live tool for modern electronic genres instead of a studio deep/complex drum machine (M:S), which is the reason I'm going with Elektron. Unfortunately I can't have both right now but I definitely pretend to revisit the ESX1 and I probably will my next jam.

8. BEAT16

BEAT16 Audiosexual

A good choice if you have the money for it.

Which of electron then exactly?
    Elektron Syntakt, Elektron Digitakt, Elektron Analog Rytm MKII Black, Elektron Model:Cycles, Elektron Model:Samples

9. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Model:Samples :yes:

10. statik

statik Audiosexual

to make a point the following track has been made with just the elektron machinedrum mk1, a sample and a distortion

the drums may not sound very diverse but listen to the lead sounds, they are just percussion sounds modeled with modulation from the synth engine.

i've had several drum computers throughout the years (TR8, JD-XI which has pcm layering drums and several other) and i've sold most of them because non of them even came close to the diversity of drum sounds i could pull out of the machinedrum. mind you i do always use a guitar distortion pedal to create hammering metallic snare drums but that just my taste for industrial sounds. with the modulation options of the machinedrum (and i hope they still use the same principle in their newer devices) to create sounds are close to unlimited (8 knobs, 4 pages).

you really should ask yourself what it is that you want from a drumcomputer/drumsynthesizer. FE i wanted something that would allow me to sculpt my drum sounds and not be stuck with just pitch and decay.
    and on a side note: the machinedrum actually uses 4 midi channels because of the sheer amount of midi controllable parameters

Last edited: Mar 27, 2023
  11. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Check it OP

“Electronic pad Nord Drum 2 triggers (by midi) the Model Samples working as multi-sampler (field recordings, voices, cassette tapes, ambient).

The velocity of pad controls the starting point of any sample you have on 6 tracks of Model Samples.

This live performance was recorded by Kostadis Michail at studio Victoria in the 14th of March 2023.” - via synthtopia

12. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

yeah guys, I ended up getting the Model Samples and I can say I'm beyond impressed, it's like I designed the thing myself, its perfect for my needs. It's... awesome.

13. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

This is one of those apps that I'd downloaded from sister site and never gotten around to installing. Gonna give it a shot now.

14. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

• List
  15. clone

clone Audiosexual

When you see a product like this, called a "lo-fi sampler"; the simple attachment of some trendy buzzword like "Lo-Fi" is very often a tipoff that it is a toy relying on marketing to make it even noteworthy. Any E-Mu Emulator series sampler can sample rate convert down to 12 bit in about 3 button presses and 1 second processing time and sound like a 1200. "Its about the workflow" is another way of saying avoiding programming midi patterns in a piano roll. These people will try to sell us anything. The model with truncation costs more.... :no:

Last edited: Apr 2, 2023
  16. BlackHaze1986

BlackHaze1986 Rock Star

Its not about the 12 Bits for me its Portable (6xAA Batteries) and if you sample your gear into its nice for producing some Loops in the Nature or while driving the Train etc.