What drum machine should I choose to make complex drums

Discussion in 'Soundgear' started by Djord Emer, Mar 24, 2023.

1. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Hi folks, how are you doing?

So recently I've been thinking about saving some silver coins (blessed be the hardwork) to buy a sequencer/drum machine, I come from a music performance background so after I tried my first piece of gear a while ago (Microbrute) I got really into it

I mainly use Reaper, Bitwig and Renoise and I know I can do essentially anything I can possibly imagine with those but... after I also got the chance to play with a drum machine (Electribe ESX1) for the first time I noticed how easier and just faster it was to lay ideas down.

That being said, considering my budget and the machines available where I live I'm between the Elektron Model Samples and the Electribe ESX1. I mainly make experimental music, drill'n'bass and breakcore (think Aphex Twin and Venetian Snares). My plan is to use the drum machine to help me sequence drums on Bitwig and Reaper, sending individual audio stems to the DAW, so I'm not really thinking about live performance at this point. Which one do you think would be a better fit for the job?

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  3. Coochie Bean Paste

Coochie Bean Paste Kapellmeister

Hi, I like Beat scholar but lately I'm using XO.
    I still use pulse code, stix, softube's heartbeat.

4. clone

clone Audiosexual

There are a few models called ESX1, but the one I am looking at is a sampler with no USB. It uses sd cards. It is 44.1 sample rate and 281 seconds mono sample capacity.

I did not see samplerate on the Model:Samples specs page. If absolutely locked in to one of these two devices, I would go with the Elektron. SD card to sampler is not bad, but I would much rather transfer my samples via usb.

You really have to play around with any groovebox to see if you will like working with the internal sequencer. they always have their own little quirks. I almost always prefer the DAW for midi unless it is the MPC. completely preference.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Sequencer (hard or soft, soft less headaches and far cheaper) > Drum Machine > Sampler/s in Bitwig + it's modular playground and containers and you can get sick pretty fast.

I hoping Bitwig gets a bad ass native sequencer soon but for now Audiomodern Playbeat 3 is my choice.

I'm reading that Aphex used a Casio FZ-10M on "80% of his tracks" and , well here:

The_Aphex_Effect.jpg

Polyend Play?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2023
    • Interesting Interesting x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. clone

clone Audiosexual

since you liked the Microbrute, and a) and b) apparently not being the only options.... I think you should check out the DrumBrute Impact. It is analog, so it does not use samples. It has a little ribbon controller for the Roll functions, and you can glitch out a sequence on it like nobodies business. It makes very good sounding drums and you can send midi data back and forth via usb.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  7. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I should have had mentioned that using samples is kinda important

Wow, thanks for the resource! Haven't seen that one yet.
    I live in a shithole so there's no place I can go and test a bunch of drum machines, got the chance to play with the Electribe cuz my bro brought it from Europe, its unfortunate but I appreciate your suggestions xD

8. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Have you take a looked at the Polyend stuff? The Polyend Tracker could be had for $500 or less on ebay or reverb if you have access.

Never used one myself but it seems excellent for experimental stuff to me. Check out the song demos in the videos.

9. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

yeah, I'm aware and familiar with Polyend, unfortunately its way way way beyond my budget, that's why I made clear I have only two choices. I live in a third world country, no manufacturer send machines here, people bring them from the outside and they usually resell it for a fortune, I ended up finding the only good offers I could atm.

10. alexbart

alexbart Producer

I purchased a Roland TR-8S mainly for live performance, but it's very good for studio production too. 8 analog direct outputs, integrated USB sound card with multiple audio channels and midi to easily integrate it with your DAW of choice, import your own samples, firmware constantly improved over time with added functionality, big panel size. A joy to use for any electronic oriented genre. This is one of the few modern Roland instruments that in my opinion is worth the price, especially if compared to what else is available on the market.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  11. JMOUTTON

JMOUTTON Audiosexual

I am a big fan of Roland TR series. The TR-8S might be out of budget though I think it runs $750 to $800. Between the Korg and the Elekton I would choose the Elekton but only if you intend to really read the manual and do a deep dive.

You might also consider the Alesis SR-18 it is capable and might be easier to access, it isn't as sexy though.

12. stopped

stopped Producer

I would not choose a 20 year old drum machine as your first and only drum machine, especially if you live in a country where it is hard to source parts.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  13. freefeet12

freefeet12 Rock Star

Oh, I'm confused because when I looked up the prices the Electribe ESX1 (as stopped noted above, it's 20 years old, gamble) everything I could find was 500 and up except the some from Japan. That's why I asked about the Polyend, same price. Maybe you have some means to get the Electribe cheaper. Sorry. The Elektron Model Samples however is half that on the used market, give or take. 350 to 400 new.

So no access to reverb or ebay either? Bummer. No Arturia BeatStep Pro? That's a nice cheap sequencer.

Between the two I'd go for the EMS just because it's way newer honestly.

14. statik

statik Audiosexual

elektron 100%. i bought the machinedrum when it first came out about 20 years ago and never regretted it.

15. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

Ye, sorry, I should have had made myself clearer... But on my defense I have no idea how the Electribe ESX1 is selling in the US or Europe. It's about $300 here (currency conversion) whereas the Elektron is about the same price, a big higher (like $30 plus). I really REALLY can't get anything else because believe me or not all those options you guys quoted resell for insane prices here. For example the only Polyend Tracker available here (keep in mind it's second hand) is costing around $2,000 right now and the Octatrack (a new one) is selling for $5,000.

Thanks, guys, I think I'll go for the Model Samples since as you all said its a more modern machine and will probably be easier to work compared to the Electribe.

16. clone

clone Audiosexual

How much is an Akai S5000 or S6000 there? :winker:

17. BuntyMcCunty

BuntyMcCunty Rock Star

I started out with an old Akai sampler. Worst mistake I ever made. All that screwing around with floppy disks and SCSI cables is just a fucking grind.

These days, I mostly use a Digitakt, but I also own an old Electribe. I think they were selling for about £100 when I bought mine. I like the Electribe a lot, but it's a bit limiting. That said, part of the fun of hardware is learning the machine and finding ways to work with the limitations. I'm sure you'll be happy with whichever you buy.

18. clone

clone Audiosexual

Thats why you get one with a scsi2sd in it. (or their new drive type now). Recycle 2.0. 0 screwing around. those samplers are like a tank and very nice for breaks. if you know what you are doing.
    Logic Drum Machine Designer for chopping is faster than all of these options. but Mac... only after 10.5 update too, or it is backed up by ultrabeat which is not desirable either. Pattern based sequencing is much more rigid than writing in piano roll with midi. It's why some of the breakcore producers use their pattern sequencer at 2x BPM to have more grid positions. Piano roll can be more flexible with time. Not for everybody.... it's why trackers were quite popular for this stuff also. Audiomulch, buzz, Geist, types of programs. If pc and still doing these kinds of breaks, I'd take a look into Renoise.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  19. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

If working ITB, Beat Scholar is definetely worth checking out especially for complex and weird beats. It takes a little time to understand it, but with the overview tutorial on Youtube you quickly get hang of it

20. clone

clone Audiosexual

They are tight with screenshots on the website! Udi made a video about it though.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2023
  21. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

I used this tutorial among the preset browsing(there´s some interesting factory presets)