What does everyone do for a living?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by TommyMoran, Sep 17, 2014.

?

Which of these brutal simplifications applies to your work?

1. Desk Job

27.3%
  2. Labour

18.2%
  3. Service

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Trades

9.1%
  5. Bill Murray

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

45.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. TommyMoran

TommyMoran Newbie

I'll start :thumbsup:

I just finished a Masters in Cancer Biology, and am now deliberating whether or not I should begin Med School this Spring. So, my craft is quite far outside of the scope of musicianship.

I HAVE however always written/sung/recorded/played music. Music is definitely my one true passion in life. I spend all my free time writing and trying to get involved in new projects. I've done everything from live acoustic shows to (amateur) film scores to video game music.

Anyways - that's me! What about you, friends? :wink:

3. Demon

Demon Producer

I have two masters in marketing and audiovisual communication design. At the moment I work part time 3/4 of the time for a large management consulting firm, while spending they remaining 1/4 on my own business.

But fuck yeah, I wish I was experienced enough to just make beats.

4. manducator

manducator Member

I'm a psychiatric nurse.

5. pilz971

pilz971 Kapellmeister

I followed Christ into Carpentry.

I work for a social housing provider with 17,500 properties in an average sized city.

I constantly have to tell people, after seeing what they expect me to do, and how much £$€`s they expect me to do it for, that I only followed Christ into Carpentry, that does not also give me the power to work fookin miracles!!!

One thing I have always liked about my job, at the end of a day/week, I can stand back, look at what I have achieved and say "I did that!"

There are LOADS of roofs, etc around where I live that I built. It is just kinda cool knowing that I have left my mark, and that each and every one of those creations was made with pride and precision and I am happy to put my name to them.

I did try and get into the world of IT a couple of years back. Spent hour upon hour applying for jobs but I think a 40+ rough arse chippy aint what they were after!

However, I am happy with my lot. My job is secure, well paid for the industry and I never have 2 days the same. Also it could so much easily be MUCH worse...... I could be UNEMPLOYED!

Count your blessings and be happy with your lot. :wink:

6. kearnsy

kearnsy Banned

Painter & decorator (3 years) salesmen (8 years) and pretty much a musician for the rest of my life so far

I'm currently scraping a living as a busker, and am hoping to get into the pubs & bars to pay the bills so i can concentrate on writing my own songs without having to worry where the next $ is coming from '0)

7. lukie

lukie Newbie

There is a old saying F**k work before it F**ks you :rofl:

I can not get my round giving fifty plus years to the government just to 2 days off a week, if governments was fair it would fifty-fifty
    thats three and a half days weeks if this was the case there would be work for everyone.

I was Audio/Video Engineer but now I don't work because my health

8. frumpiemonkey

frumpiemonkey Newbie

I currently work as an ESL (English as a second language) teacher. I'm from America but I'm living in Indonesia trying to pioneer a "mobile studio" concept. I studied Theater and Music Theory and Composition in School.

9. TommyMoran

TommyMoran Newbie

I almost worked an ESL gig in Indonesia at one point! That must be an awesome experience. *yes* I've always wanted to get out of North America.
    Now, instead, I'll be moving to Melbourne this spring to school for an MD :wink:

10. Demon

Demon Producer

Excuse the ignorance, what do you mean by "MD"?

Also, send me a private message when you get to Melbourne. We'll have a beer or 3 :wink:

11. Zeus

Zeus Moderator

Demon, he looks young, I‘m afraid you‘ll have to drink the beers for the both of you, but I guess that won‘t be much of a problem.. :rofl:

12. TommyMoran

TommyMoran Newbie

Haha that would be swell man! And no zeus, I'm older than I look (although, those videos on my youtube are also a few years old).

And an MD is a degree - as in medical doctor. And to be fair too, Australian schools are just recently adapting to MD's (which are more common in North America), so most doctors there probably actually have an MBBS instead.