What do you think this sound is?

Discussion in 'how to make "that" sound' started by Backtired, Aug 9, 2022.

1. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

1:11 starts

Hi. I'm a bit embarrassed while I'm writing this since I cannot figure out what kind of instrument that sound is from. I don't believe it is completely from a synth. It sounds like the guy included some kind of sample from the M1 or something from that era (1994), am I right? An organ!?

How would you recreate it? Not an exact replica of course, just with the same quality. Also I might be wrong since I'm very bad at recognizing this stuff but is the arp playing chords?

I mean at the end it could be a sample cut from God knows where, but it doesn't sound like that to me.

Cheers

Last edited: Aug 10, 2022
  3. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

I'd say you're pretty much on point.

There's a patch called "cathedral" on Roland's JV-1080 (and XV-5080) that sounds a lot like that in the right octave, might need to fiddle with the chorus and reverb and add some saturation plus the obvious gate thing going on, but i think it'll get you pretty close.

Aside from that, take a look at Korg's Triton, it also has some organ patches that have that 90's sample based instrument thing.

4. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

I can't believe I got it right, quite close
    After opening the thread I started messing around, what if I just put a bunch of organs together? So this is the result (two organs from Triton, plus one random synth).
    https://vocaroo.com/1oMX5Gvd04hT
    Thanks @mk_96 :)

5. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

If you want to roll your own: Take electric organ, enable vibrato, play chord, render. Drop rendered chord into sampler.

6. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

That's probably how most of those sounds were made, slapping a recorded sound into a sampler or arp. Thanks for your contribution

7. xorome

xorome Audiosexual

Yeah, I didn't mean to be snarky :) I think the core element behind 'rave stabs' is taking a rendered chord, not just an individual sound, and resampling it.

8. Backtired

Backtired Audiosexual

Hey I was serious man :) Any info about making dance music in the 90s is always welcome. ANY!