What do you think about Analog Hardware Emulation Multiband Compressor plugins ?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Stevie Dude, Jan 6, 2023.

1. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Hi,

What are your thoughts about analog emulation (or vintage inspired) multiband compressor plugins ? Do you use them ? How would you describe a situation where you think an analog emulation would do better than the clean digital multiband compressor ? I mean we all agree that a G Bus Compressor or 33609 type plugin can easily outperform any other clean compressor out there on the Stereo Bus because they have their own sounds and stuff. So, what about the multiband compressors ? If coloration and some dynamic control on the certain area of the frequency band, multiband Saturation plugin like a Fabfilter Saturn 2 should be a smarter choice IMO. So I would like to hear your opinions about it.

I normally use the Pro-MB, Multiplicity or just dynamic mode in Pro-Q3 or Kircchoff because first, they do the job, sufficient and I really need the precision from them with minimal phase rotation as possible or sometimes the linear phase mode when it is needed for the crossover. Let's just say, transparency is what I crave from that specific processing, no artifact, coloration or any other bs needed. Pretty straight forward.

There are direct emulation but sometimes the plugins version is 3 of hardware units stacked together to create a multiband version, some are just inspired by hardware. What I'm saying is, they are made and expected to behave like an analog multiband hardware compressor with all the coloration, artifact, noise and such. Here's some of the plugins I could think of :

1. Softube Drawmer 1973
    upload_2023-1-6_18-57-53.png

2. Lindell 354E - 3 Neve 2254 units
    upload_2023-1-6_18-58-34.png

3. Lindell MBC - 3 API 2500 units

4. PSP oldtimerMB - not sure if it is modeled after a hardware, but it feels like that
    upload_2023-1-6_19-0-50.png

5. Presonus Tricomp - looks like inspired by a Drawmer
    tri.png

6. Audiority PolyComp - IGS Audio Multicore
    upload_2023-1-6_19-2-42.png

Thanks & Happy New Year!

• Interesting Interesting x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

I've never actually used an analogue multiband compressor so have nothing to compare any plugin with. If this counts, I've always relied on TDR NOVA GE for clean multiband compression mostly for vocals and occasional use teasing space in an uncluttered mix for acoustic guitars. It sounds awesome to me and is cheap for it's quality.

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  4. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

I may have used Drawmer 1973 just to experiment once or twice, but that's it, I never feel like I need to use it plus worrying if it could mess up with the mix too much.

NOVA GE is awesome. Yeah it counts, dynamic EQ basically a multiband compressor in a way. Nova has all the controls like a compressor does.

Come to think of it, normal usage (90% of the time) for mb compressor is to tame stuff rather than expand or boost, so not much it can add, pretty useless I'd say unless it is a hardware which can be treated as color box for its gain stage, and transformer. Maybe that can be count as useful in Analog domain, but in digital domain there's like hundred of saturation plugins for that.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Never used a hardware mb. For the most part the analog emulations i've tried either suck or i just don't like what they do, mostly because they add too much colour and i use mb's almost exclusively in contexts where i need a transparent one so...yeah.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  6. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

Well, I do not.

As mk_96 already said, they do add way to much saturation due to their stages.
    I really can advise to rather use a super clean multiband limiter like MLimiterMB instead. In my experience they are way more efficient in achieving the multiband compression effect. :yes:

(There really are not many transparent ones out there. The DMG Limitless for example is not. Acon Digital mb is also absolutely transparent but it's not an mb limiter.)

• Like Like x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  7. Myfanwy

Myfanwy Producer

Many years ago i had the chance to work with a Drawmer S3, it's a 3 band tube compressor which "splits" the signal at 6 dB/oct which is pretty useless. It was very expensive and recalling settings was nearly impossible due to the ranges of the pots. Almost never used it in any mixing or mastering job. UAD Precision Multiband was my favorite multiband compressor at that time. Now it's FabFilter Pro-MB or Pro-Q 3 dynamics.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. justwannadownload

justwannadownload Audiosexual

When the mix calls for analog-style subgroup compression and I'm too lazy, I use Drawmer 1973. Didn't have issues so far.

9. Trurl

Trurl Audiosexual

I went through a Drawmer phase but I came out of it again. I use Pro-Q dynamic a LOT. Haven't tried Kirchhoff yet.

10. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

Kinda noticed that you don't really use all these fancy analog emulation plugins. Just out of curiosity, what is your go-to for Instrument Buses and Stereo Bus (if you mix that way of course) ?

I think this should explain the precision part clearly, maybe 10-20Hz different doesn't really matter for EQ but for multiband compressor crossover it does change the result a lot. Thankfully, we won't have that kind of problem in the digital domain, exact recall is a wonderful thing.

lol, but I gotta admit, I kinda like the "Big" and "Air" thingy. It's not like it isn't achievable with other plugin, but it is kinda cool, in a way. These days I still use a lot of its little sibling, the S73 for parallel compression, the Spatial options could come out with a good surprise sometimes.

11. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

It's not that I do not like/use them. I just do not like how people relate to them and state everytime, that there is happening anything special.
    I just made this statement, to not let the illusion come up, that there is anything hidden in those compressors that is unachievable otherwise.

At the moment I only use Acon digital comp as a full range comp and I do not think that this will change anytime in the future anymore.
    I have to say, that I rather use reverb instead of compression (Mostly I turn off their stupid room mics and create my own room :hahaha:). Compression shapes dynamics, reverb does not really. :yes:
    There are, besides mostly on vocals, only very creative situations where I use compression - sometimes on bass. (I usually do not use compression on bass)

I do not use compression on percussion material at all anymore. The only channel I always use compression on is the mixbus and there only as mb limiting. Full range compression I really mostly only use on vocals.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2023
  12. Sapriisty

Sapriisty Kapellmeister

Best Answer
    Personally I have been looking for a long multiband that will satisfy me, especially at the level of an analog emulation, today I realize by dint of mixing, use and mastering that the MB has incredible potential, it is very surgical is precise both in linear and dynamic work.

I have used the Drawner several times in certain rhythm busses with the air functions activated to give this slightly shiny mess that tickles without either having biting frequencies which resonate too strongly, Dynamic Eq behind the Drawer in air mode I have besides a preference for the complete unit rather than the S73 or I have the impression of not being able to master all the algorithms to integrate.

Over time and trying them I also discovered the PSP multiband the oldTimerMB, I really appreciate it especially for the voices and fx group I really use it for a specific grain that it only has on the groups rhythmically a little ethnic, it gives a glue and a warmth that I particularly appreciate but which can quickly become disgusting depending on the context of the mix.

Finally in the end the tool which I have the most admiration and disgust at the same time is the MAC-3 of the Ivory AA suite, I really took the time to appreciate working with it, I find that it destroys more all that I spend in it, rather than embellishing it or balancing it, then I learned to serve myself correctly by precisely adjusting the treshold according to the bus track element which crosses it, I particularly appreciate it in Parallel 50% dry/wet!

today it helps me in particular to direct the color and the dynamics of the song it is a powerful tool almost too much, it has an ultra digital rating according to the song, and I hate the integrated preamp that we add as well as their clippers are additions that don't work with my way of working. I find in particular that it will deserve a taste a little more random and less precise to get closer to analog dad sounds but that's the eternal fight so who cares I love it as I hate it in my box!

To compensate for the lack it creates in the low or sub frequencies I use a pig trick, again depending on the context of the track or the instruments I use either the EAQ of AO to boost the low end or ERIN of AA always for the lowend the two have a different flavor and by entering them in the MAC3 I have the impression that it makes it work better, it's a very personal approach!

• Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List