What do you prefer, Battery or Maschine?

Discussion in 'Samplers, Synthesizers' started by oa., Mar 18, 2016.

?

Battery or Maschine?

1. Battery

7 vote(s)
    53.8%
  2. Maschine

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  1. oa.

oa. Ultrasonic

I using Battery 4 for my productions and like it. I didn't try Maschine but wondering what people prefer.

If you have some time, please tell me why you prefer Battery, or Maschine.

Have a good day, cheers.

3. Quakeaudio

Quakeaudio Producer

I have both. Using Battery 4 for my Drums and Machine sometimes for melodic arrangements and midi pattern.

4. statik

statik Audiosexual

tr-8, jd-xi or my trusted machinedrum

5. m9cao

m9cao Producer

I love maschine's drum synthesizer, very powerful than nearly all drum synth vsti.

6. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

Logic pro X Drummer:rofl:

7. oa.

oa. Ultrasonic

Actually it's for newbies and non producers :( Will be nice in GarageBand

8. HPF

HPF Kapellmeister

you cant do anything with battery without a sequencer or a plugin host - battery is a plugin while machine is a host/sequencer/plugin/synth/etc - one cant really compare - but for shooting samples inside a host sequencer i'd go for battery 2 ^^ only thing missing here is a drumsynth, cant stand why actually

9. Pollice verso

Pollice verso Rock Star

Jaja...sorry for trollinnnn you...i worked many years with Battery, but now i really love Drum Machine Designer:wink:

10. oa.

oa. Ultrasonic

hahaha i thought that was real, sorry i don't know you

11. davea

davea Platinum Record

Neither of the two for me. Ableton Live does eveything I need to compose, produce, even mix .

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  12. stevitch

stevitch Audiosexual

Battery does the job well within a DAW. I like its ADSR settings.

13. Zenarcist

Zenarcist Audiosexual

14. popeye

popeye Kapellmeister

Neither for me, too.....I used Battery up to version 4, then Groove Agent 4 came along!

15. neo lover

neo lover Kapellmeister

Battery ! With out a doubt - In version 5 ? I'm hoping for the incorporation of oscillators ! So obviously we can programme Kicks and Snares too - I use Massive for all my Kicks/Snares at the moment - And also automatic loop slicing with a more extensive slicing functions -

Maschine to me in the way I use my daw is pointless - I sequence inside Logic X - I don't see the point yet of doing that in a plugin -

16. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I use neither, as I mainly use Vember Shortcircuit2.
    But both are great if you know/enjoy them.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  17. oa.

oa. Ultrasonic

Do you making kicks with Massive? Is there any synth for that? Just for Kick or drums. I didn't like KICK plugin.

18. WillTheWeirdo

WillTheWeirdo Audiosexual

Maschine gives me the functionality of an MPC style drum machine, inside my DAW, with full drag and drop to the DAW for midi or sounds.
    For me, this means workflow speed while creating, which is everything as it keeps me in creative mode.

I also like that I can produce a song completely in Maschine if needed, without a DAW.

19. Kwissbeats

Kwissbeats Audiosexual

great tip, freeware and looks interesting. loading WAV, AKAI S5000/S6000/Z4/Z8, NI Battery, SoundFont 2.0 and ReCycle! 1 and 2 formats.

will try

20. bxbeatnocka

bxbeatnocka Member

Battery is great for setting up kits even if you still work with hardware sample workstations like I do. I mainly use Battery & Maschine for drum/sample arrangement, then I just sample what I want into my ASR-10/MPC and sometimes SP-1200/S950. I think it also depends on workflow and what genre you're working with, in terms of how either is utilized. I mainly only F**k with real/underground hip-hop, I can get things done with the Maschine Studio but I prefer the sound of my hardware machines and so do the artists i produce/clients who use my beats. That being said I agree with the above in that Maschine really is an all-encompassing box, that uses hardware & software together allowing you to arrange, edit, sample, seq, apply effects & create a full song with one piece of gear. Whereas Battery while useful is just a software program, so in that way you can't really compare the two. I've used every version of Battery and the sound editing hasn't really improved that much, because the effects and sample editing options in Battery remain somewhat limited. Again as a kit arranger it's great and I do most of my sound design & creation inside of Sound Forge anyway.

I can do almost anything with Sound Forge (it's dope for sound design) once I've created a few different versions of a new sample, I just drop them in into one of my external HDD's for later use. Organizing is really important as well, Both Maschine & Battery allow you to organize your original/custom sounds (even 100's of thousands) along with 3rd party and factory libraries, I almost never use factory presets but the fact that you can organize everything and preview it before using, is great. Also If you're using WIN and you need a great sample manager, Mutant is the only way to go. it lacks some of the features on AudioFinder (Mac) but the layout is clean easy to use and it's free. Battery allows you to organize kits and make libraries but with Maschine everything is where you need it and overall the layout and design improves workflow. I realize many people use Battery as a plugin but for me it'a more useful in Standalone mode for arranging samples & drum kits. I use both + Ableton Live & a Push 2 on a rolling stand under my studio workbench which rounds out my Samplebox WS Rack along with Soundplant 42 which is an underrated & less known program, but great for quick sample layout ideas using your computers keyboard ... It's really effective. Ultimately I believe Battery was created to build sound kits & arrange drums, effects etc. While the Maschine's concept is to replace pre-existing sample workstations by integrating a hardware unit with all the benefits of software & built-in SEQ. While it might bridge the two worlds it won't be replacing the legacy workstations in my studio any time soon/EVER! And again Sound Forge should always be on hand for Sample/Sound Design duties. Maybe it's because I started using it many years ago and have mastered it like my hardware machines, but for me nothing else dose a better job of sample editing and sound design than SF and I've used everything at one time or another. I like the layout of version 10 better Record/Arm and the Plugin Layout are different in version 11 so I have both, SF10 on my Sample Box, which is perfect for Sample Editing/Sound Design and SF11 on my DAW/Recordbox which works well enough due to the implementation of 11's slightly strange but effective plugin add & record layout.

One more thing ...
    The concept of keeping your Samplebox & DJ Computer separate from the machine you record with always made more sense to me as they all serve different functions. I make beats with one and record with the other + DJ with turntables & Laptop for Serato I keep it Minimal with 3 screens total I get that having 2 monitors is nice when you're mixing ITB but 2 27" and the 17" Laptop work for me. I could add and extra monitor to every box but not an issue so i'd rather keep it simple.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  21. gr00ve

gr00ve Member

I have never understood the hype about Maschine and I will never understand ...

How do Producers create music before Maschine ?

Battery met all my needs, because Logics Ultrabeat is way to laborious and the Drum Machine Designer is a better GUI for Ultrabeat, but why the f**k not a better Ultrabeat, which corresponds to the current time of music production ??? Drum Maschine Designer would be great, would this be a separate plugin, without Ultrabeat in the background. Looking into the mixer and you go crazy. totally confusing