What do you guys use for daily storage and backup storage?

Discussion in 'Computer Hardware' started by Bunford, Apr 4, 2024.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I am looking for some alternatives to my current local and MEGA Pro III storage to be more cost efficient and, actually generally more efficient.

I current have my sample libraries on an external 4TB NVMe drive, Kontakt libraries on an external 4TB SSD drive, and have all my software and plugins backed up on an internal 5TB drive.

My system runs with 2 x 2TB NVMe internal drive, one used as a C: drive and one as the VST Data drive with Nexus library, Steinberg libraries, Arturia data, and so on.

So, I currently have:

C: - 2TB internal NVMe OS drive
    D: - 2TB internal NVMe VST Data drive
    E: - 5TB internal software and OS backup HDD drive
    K: - 4TB external SSD Kontakt libraries drive
    M: - 2TB external Media HDD drive (for music, movies, photos)
    S: - 4TB external NVMe studio drive with presets, MIDI, sample libraries
    Z: - 2TB external NVMe DJ music drive used between studio desktop and laptop​

I back up most of the above as compressed .7z files to my MEGA Pro III account, which gives me 16TB storage but costs me about €30 per month.

However, I am looking for the best way to rationalise the above down where I can still have my studio and DJ content on external drives and have the rest on something like a NAS (though I've never owned one so not 100% how they work).

I have a 2.5GB ethernet port on my studio desktop, so if if I could use that with something like a NAS or server it would be perfect as I have a separate 1GB ethernet port too for wiring to the network if I choose to not use my wireless adapter.

I am just trying to work out best and most cost effective way to rationalise down to one device/enclosure if possible, still having backups (even if only on site backups), where I could then have less cables, power connectors, and clutter, as well as less cloud subscriptions costs with MEGA (though, to be fair, I cannot find anything similar that has cloud backups with similar capacity for same price).

3. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

why dont you do as i do.. and burn down on the biggest blue ray discs.. they work for 1000 years!

4. BlackHawk

BlackHawk Producer

1000 years as all the all the other media did? Wax cylinders, tape, piano paper rolls, Vinyl, CD, harddrives and so ... ? Ah, yes, and this other thing, that was German and should last at least a 1000 years? (Sorry, couldn't resist.) Point is: maybe the discs still would work in 1000 years, but can they be played? Is there working gear for them to play? Remember thousand years ago the storage media for eternity? Monk copying complete books, 1 in 2 years and how long did they last? Most of them? Hardly 100 years for most of them.

On the other hand: does anybody care? Mr. Bach, Mr. Beethoven, Mr. DaVinci ... yep, anyone cares. But all the rest? Hm.

5. vuldegger

vuldegger Producer

1tb gen4 nvme os/software drive
    1tb gen3 nvme projects/libs/samples/installer drive
    512gb ssd system apps backup
    2x512 external ssd for software/photos/films
    --
    b550/ryzen7-5700x/rtx3060/focusrite gen3/akg