What do you do with the old softwares versions?

Discussion in 'PC' started by Diabulus in Musica, Oct 28, 2011.

1. Diabulus in Musica

Diabulus in Musica Platinum Record

Guys after downloaded a new updated software do you delete the old ones or not? For example, if you have a software from version 1.0 to 3.0, do you delete the previous versions? :p

3. obscure

obscure Newbie

Sure it's good to keep everything tidy, don't want mess to mess up your work.

With major updates eg. from v 1.x to v 2.0 I will always keep the last version until the next update of v 2. This ensures I have a working copy in case v 2.0 screws up on me, which happens more often than you might think (due to developers rushing to release versions without complete bugfixes etc.)

4. DivinEvil

DivinEvil Newbie

Yeah, I agree with obscure, I always keep the previous working version on a separate dedicated hard drive or memory card.

This method of archiving can be rather tedious (especially if your software receives frequent updates) but I already perform a similar method with my project files.

5. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Me too, It was a real drag to download FL Studio 10 and find out half of my work done in FL Studio 9 will not load in the new version.

They say software should be backwards compatible but don't believe them.

6. psyfactor

psyfactor Newbie

When i am done with a project, i always render each track to audio so i can always at least get back to an unmastered audio track version.
    That and a few screenshots of the plugin interfaces so i can recreate the sounds/settings roughly in another software usually does the trick.

7. thepopenale

thepopenale Noisemaker

FL and backwards compatibility - never had an issue, every project ive made from v7 through 10 have worked no problem for me. What specifically is the problem? Missing samples? Missing VSTs? Project just wont load?

OP: I in most cases wont bother with the update unless the VST Im using is troublesome in the first place. Ive had v1.0.0 plugs work perfect for years. Other low version plugs are a shambling/crashing mess.

Just depends!

8. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

I use them as door-stops.

9. duskwings

duskwings Platinum Record

usually i get rid of them,i made some exeptions for some libraries,i.e garritan solo violin because it was discontinued and i don t know why since i think it s the best violin available,as well as gofriller solo cello,although i think they d need upated scripts to work properly with some programs like sibelius,and sibelius is another exeption,so far version 6 is better than version 7,so i keep it,sibelius is for avid what vista was for microsoft

10. Xiny6581

Xiny6581 Noisemaker

I save any version and keep all in individual folders so I can be sure to when I open up a project I get it the way it was when I saved it.
    Sure it eats some extra HDD-space, but hey that's cheap, consider the time it would take to find and tweak the project.
    Sometimes it can be tricky to get older plugins to not conflict with updated, but anything is possible.
    /X

11. G String

G String Rock Star

backup backup backup! VSTs are relatively tiny, anyway. Get a good habit going. Get organised. Do it ASAP, else you never do it once you have a ton of stuff :D

12. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

normally delete them after i confirmed or see its confirmed that the new version works.
    yh and delete the other stuff asap if not u could manage to fill 1 day with that easily.

13. One Reason

One Reason Audiosexual

straight into a fermentation folder...

3 mo later, Warez Wine ! :rofl:

14. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Paus - the trouble happens when some plugins try to load with a project. I can load the plugins in both software version 9 & 10 when starting a new project.

Maybe something is wrong with the plugins? I have never moved sample libs or changed plugin directories.

I am a big fan of FL Studio, if there is a workaround I would like to try it. For now i've rendered stems and imported them to version 10

I did not mean to say that it was FL Studio that caused the problem, It is strange and frustrating, load project 9 into 9 fine, load project 9 into 10 program CRASH, with no hint as to why.

Am I the only one?

15. SAiNT

SAiNT Creator Staff Member phonometrograph

if only there was a way of backing up the important settings of the old version, so we could move them to the new one... :sad: