What do you do to motivate yourself ?

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by urOk, Jul 16, 2013.

1. grabme

grabme Kapellmeister

A very common problem I suspect because unless you do this stuff full time then you are always chasing time. My motivation is listening to as many musical styles as possible and taking elements from them. Buying new keyboards also motivates....sometimes. The problem with creating music on your own is that you might have good ideas or skills BUT that doesn't mean you are a good arranger or audio engineer and I believe that without those skills you will never be able to create music on par with professional releases. Its worth collaborating or getting a good singer on board, something I really need to do myself.

2. urOk

urOk Member

Not sure if deadline works with music producers. If so , then their end product must be awful. What i mean, you can't really predict how long will take to polish your track isnt ? And deadline is not a motivation. It's corporations favorite word :D

3. ghostinthemachine

ghostinthemachine Newbie

I usually step away from the project and do something else that will help me get better at my overall musical being. Lately its been really getting down on drum rudiments, other times I practice the blues scale on the gootar, or sometimes I like to refresh my music theory game. For me, doing productive musical exercises helps me stay in that mode and the results of my effort show up as I keep getting better. Those results in turn help me get around writers block and also keeps me motivated. Thats not to say that I myself don't struggle with the overall issue we're talking about. Its a natural thing for an artist to all of a sudden get juiced out.It really is just about walking away and letting it marinate for a little bit. :bow:

4. Catnaps

Catnaps Newbie

It totally depends. I personally don't see how anyone can be motivated by only producing/listening to one genre of music. To me that is hell =] try to open up your mind to some other genres. You always find inspiration in the places you'd least expect.

Taking breaks helps a lot. Go out and get some fresh air. Feed your body healthy food and not junk/processed food. Drink plenty of water. Try to make sure you are getting a good and comfortable nights sleep.

Don't try to chase someone elses sound. You can sound like them and sell like them or you can sound like you and sell even more.

Try another daw if you don't feel like the workflow is "flowing". Taking the time to learn another daw can have a very positive effect on your music. I personally think that knowing at least 2 daws in and out with help you become a stronger producer.

Stay positive and good luck on your journey. Never give up!

5. Herr Durr

Herr Durr Guest

we've all known for ages that drugs + sex ===> rock'n roll....

or is it the other way around... hmm

oh yeah drugs and sex DID predate audiosex... *yes*

Attached Files:

6. dgeyer

dgeyer Newbie

It's nice to get that endorphin and adrenaline rush when it's all clicking and coming together.
    When it's not, that's not a good reason to stop.
    Motivation?

Without exception, almost all great written word writers have a routine and a discipline.
    They write at a certain time of day, every day, whether they feel like it or not.
    They don't wait around for their muse or some spark of creativity.
    They just do it.

Don't fuck up by just waiting for the mood or motivation.
    Stop interfering with yourself.
    Just start doing it. It'll come.
    There's truth in action.

7. Blister

Blister Newbie

To motivate myself i often watch other people talk about music, tutorials and such. Or i listen to some inspiring music.
    But i also get motivated when i get bored from doing some simple task. Thats also when the best ideas come...

8. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

+1

Music production is 90% perspiration and 10% inspiration. *yes*

9. urOk

urOk Member

This is not my problem I assure you *yes* I am very open minded person. And I like music as it is in the whole meaning of this word "MUSIC". But I love psychedelic trance so this is the one genre of music I'd like to produce. And believe me all my inspiration doesn't come from psytrance producers. Mostly I found something in classical music which I love as psytrance :) But yes you are right
    And I always do ! But this is not a problem, the problem is I lost motivation for finish what I've started. This is the big problem. I have ideas everyday for something new. But when I come to work with old projects I feel burned out.

10. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

I like to remember that I am not creating a song but playing God and filling my track with an aural world. Sit back and try to connect with the vision that you had when you made it. Let it overtake your senses until you are literally standing in the middle of it all.

Vision without action is a daydream. Action without vision is a nightmare.
    -Japanese Proverb

11. fritoz

fritoz Ultrasonic

Catalyst always has the cool quotes!

Honestly, i only make music when i feel it (the creative gods giving me their blessing)

i know when it is time, i can feel it.

i dont even try to make music unless im feeling the artistic vibe.

its the same for my painting, sculpture, writing

dont force it!

sometimes i go weeks with no music creation, because i know its not the right time. usually i get a bit worried when i havent made anything for a while, but eventually the feeling is right and i ride the lightning.

what really sucks is when you "feel it" and you are nowhere close to your music gear and the moment is lost..who knows what masterpieces are gone forever, floating in the ether of creativity?

also, when you are in the zone, dont leave the zone until you feel it leave you.. i say keep making music for 24 hours straight if you dont feel tired and are energized by your creation

for me artistic creation is a mystical and wonderful gift from the universe, not to be taken lightly