What do i need to record ambiant sounds

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by adrien, Oct 3, 2017.

1. adrien

adrien Guest

Do you think it's enough to buy a H2n and it's WSU 1 protection in order to have quality records of ambiant nature, cityscape ? I know professionals in this area certainly have an arsenal of mics, but for someone who has to do it 2-3 times, it doesn't worth to invest into expensive mics.

3. korte1975

korte1975 Guest

strecth out a bit and buy the H4n , big quality jump there !

4. adrien

adrien Guest

the H4n doesn't record at 360° (if i'm right), but if the quality is far better, i should check the h5, because i can change the mic, but it would cost more of course

5. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

So you want to record in surround? That would be useful information to help you out...
    I think apart from the h2n your only resort here is a multitrack recorder and the typical set of mics.

6. DarthFader

DarthFader Audiosexual

I don't have a Zoom H2n for comparison. I went for the H4n Pro for its improved signal:noise ratio, which seemed like a good idea at the time.

Seeing this thread made me think, "Oh! Dayum. The H2n has built-in X/Y, M/S and X/Y plus M/S. That's some kind of surround sound right out of the box." So, being rather keen to discover how much of a tit I'd made of my self by forking out extra cash for the H4n Pro, I went looking for "expert" opinion. Er...... yeah...... YouTube. Great, eh? Listening to surround sound via YouTube.

Okay. Now, kids. Repeat after me, "Darth Fader is an idiot."
    Well done!

But it was an education. First vid below explains the H2n's microphnes polar patterns. Wow!

I wasn't that much wiser, though. To me, the demo at the end just sounds like super wide stereo.
    What was that phrase again, kids? That's right. "Darth Fader is an idiot."
    Thanks a bunch!

Ahhhh.... but how about this one? Don't panic. There's zero jargon in the follwoing.

K. Er..... so how about binaural?
    Over to you guys.

7. Baxter

Baxter Audiosexual

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star