What DJ gear would you recommend?

Discussion in 'DJ equipment' started by Bunford, Jun 12, 2020.

1. Bunford

Bunford Audiosexual

I have had a 20 year history with DJing drifting in an out of it since my first ever set of belt driven cheapo Numark decks and mixer. I am again drifting back into it, and looking for some gear advice.

I will mainly just be DJing for personal pleasure at home, but wouldn’t necessarily rule out DJing live in the future maybe. For that reason, though it’s only a small chance, I would probably rather go the Pioneer route for familiarity should I ever get into a venue to DJ.

I am also wanting to spend as little as possible, just cos it’ll mainly be an at home hobby for myself. My thoughts are:

1. Buy something like a Pioneer DDJ-400 to use with my laptop and Rekordbox; or

2. Buy some cheaper older Pioneer gear, like a pair of Pioneer CDJ1000’s and a mixer.

Which route would you guys go down? From looking around, I can probably achieve either option for about £250-350 ish with the CDJs selling for next to nothing now in some places.

Grateful for any constructive advice and opinions (and no Rekordbox vs Serato fanboy war)!

3. Area51

Area51 Kapellmeister

optical mouse & laptop