What discourages you most from purchasing a legit copy of an audio software product (poll)

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Andrew, Jun 5, 2013.

?

What discourages you most from purchasing a legit copy of an audio software product (library, loops,

1. Watermarking

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  2. Challenges & Dongles & Serial keys

18 vote(s)
    36.7%
  3. Ridiculously high price

28 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. Unacceptable or evilish licence agreement

9 vote(s)
    18.4%
  5. Creators violently fighting against warez

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
  6. Poor end user support

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  7. No refunds & No resells

11 vote(s)
    22.4%
  8. Low quality content

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  9. Unauthorized home calling and system modification

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  10. All of the above

10 vote(s)
    20.4%
  11. Other

7 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Andrew

Andrew AudioSEX Maestro

I hope this is the right section for such thread. In case it's not, then please accept my apologies and kindly move it where it belongs. Thank you

Hi,
    I thought about such thread a long time ago, but since the release of Albion on AudioZ, I decided to create it.
    So guys, what discourages you most from buying stuff that you have tried for free?
    Personally I would definitely want to support the creators, but mostly I cannot because of many reasons like limited budget and challenges that come hand in hand when using legit library, like authorization issues and license agreement.

What is your opinion on this matter?
    Thanks in advance for every vote :wink:

3. xsze

xsze Guest

I'm mostly searching for some nice one shot drums&percs, but there is rarely anything good in really pricey packs for me. For example I sorted out 2500-3000 clap samples from various packs, I ended up finding 450 nice samples, but mostly just because I would rather have them just in case, but let's say 30% of them are not that good either, so in that 3000 only clap samples it's 10+ sample packs and I know for a fact that 90% of content of every sample pack is useless for me, so it's pretty much failed investment, I would send Vengeance money for 1 sample pack tops for ALL the samples I find usable in ALL their packs, it's just too much garbage and few good stuff in every one of them, so pretty much low quality content, pretty useless agreement for the rest of the stuff and ridiculously high price for all of that.

As I mentioned, one shots are the only thing I consider so I don't care if they packed 200+ ready to go melody lines and 550+ fx transitions and whatnot, pretty much useless stuff for me, other than that don't use big Kontakt libraries, pretty much one shots are only interest I have in this whole story about loops,libraries and stuff like that *yes*

4. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Okay Im gonna outing myself here: I use a illegal version of Kontakt!!!
    Beeeeeeeecaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuusseeeeeeeee I just use free librarys, and I absolutly dont see the point in spending 400 euros on a software, just to use free samples...

But sadly nearly everybody seems to make kontakt librarys (instead of SFZ or something), so I dont really have an alternative. Now, maybe I would buy it if I had the money, but I just dont have so much money just to spend it.

Whatever, everything else is legal, so I dont give a shit that I use one cracked software, just to play FREE instrument librarys...

5. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

personally i really want to support all devs, when then have a really good support like for example Camel Audio(got a help within 3 hours even it was sunday 8am ive sent then a mail - that a really dnam good support).
    then we got dongles mostly - i really cant work with - see the softtube thread: http://audiosex.pro/index.php?/topic/7360-softube-50-until-july-16th/
    one a side note installisation should go fast and also authorization to be able to start playing with the product after buying. then also the question how often i can install the software again with the same key - how many times i can install it on different computers.
    and finally anything like home calling or anything system modificating - like creating files or scanning.

and last note is the price - they should offer some EDU discounts like 40-50 off and im happy to buy - And of course a price which is understandable in my opinion. (like for example the price for massive is understandable or onmisphere)

for sample cds - im always looking for HQ, special drums - not thats much stuff like FX i can do alone.

basically i really support devs where i can ive bought lots of my soundsets/ samples and also 70% of my synths, my 2 daws are also fully legally. :wink:

i think such String Libraries are always expensive and thats why its nearly impossible to buy them, when music production is just fun and no job. but when you work on it and get paying and its your job it should definitely be a legally copy. the same goes for selling any soundsets.

6. AMERICUH

AMERICUH Kapellmeister

copy that.

7. fraggle83

fraggle83 Member

This is just a question out of curiosity, so don't take it as an offense, but could you not use all those
    free samples you say you're using with the Free Kontakt Player, so you could give up the only cracked
    software you say you're using and be utterly legal ?! :dunno:

8. Alraun

Alraun Member

The longer i walk on the musical path, the less software i use frequently. The less software i use, the more of them are now paid. It gives me a better feeling, to work with a bought software.
    In the long run, i could not look at my face in the mirror, when i go through life and take only without giving. A certain balance is necessary.

The only software that I use frequently and have not paid for yet, is currently Kontakt - therefore i bought NI hardware, and Absynth was my very first bought audio software years ago.

I would never buy Cubase for example. If it could be bought without the copy protection (which is a pain in the ass even for legit users) and without the library (which i wouldn't use anyway),
    then it would become less expensive and i would consider buying it. I bought Reaper instead. It comes without sound library or copy protections - the inexpensive perfect package for me.

I don't pay money for sample libraries, because of the same reasons as Xsze has mentioned already - for my taste there's mostly too much junk it.
    I don't use drum samples, because i am a passionate frame drummer and i have shown neither talent nor fun to create rhythms with machines.

Summarized: price (also in relation to usefullness), burdensomely protections and low quality of content discourages me the most from purchasing legit stuff.
    The other criterias are not that important for me.

9. lyric8

lyric8 Producer

i think from the very beginning of them making Plugins if they would have been a lot cheaper i don't think there would have been so much Cracking only a few years ago Waves plugins thousands and thousands of dollars Way Way out of the reach/budget of the average guy just starting out or even a guy that has been doing it for a wile a few rears back i almost pay all that Money for them

10. Catalyst

Catalyst Audiosexual

That was exactly what I was thinking but then I got caught up in another thread before I could post it. :wink:

11. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Thats actually the point.... I downloaded the Free Kontakt Player for exactly that purpose, and had to find out I could only play the Factory Selection Instruments, everything else was in Demo Mode... That was the point where I thought "Oh go fuck yourself" and just downlaoded a cracked version...

Still dont want to pay 400 euros or how much it cost just for free samples...

12. djbigkraq

djbigkraq Newbie

I wish these companies would do subscription based sells. I'd do that. I'd subscribe to use their plugins every month. This whole pay me $400 for a plugin...even $150 at 1 time is ridiculous when I'm only going to use it a few times a year in a project. Let me subscribe and I'd do it for maybe $10 - $20 a month depending on the quality

13. twinny123

twinny123 Noisemaker

I tried for years to use plugins to create music and found that the overall sound quality was not quite as good as say an virus Ti2. I did buy some plugins though, but these tend to be ones that I am satisfied with and have chosen to use in my productions with an intention to perhaps selling the material. One way of getting round sounds not being quite as dynamic, is to layer different say synthesized sounds or sample instruments to create unique sounding timbres. I think that if the companies that sell these plugins really want people to be impressed enough to purchase there software, they should spend that little bit more time developing them into packages that people are going to use in material that is good enough to sell online and make enough money to even buy the plugins after there music has been purchased.

14. Someone

Someone Noisemaker

Just want to mention another reason why I personnaly dont even consider buying a plugiin/software:
    No Demo version!

If I cant test the plugin, why the hell shoudl I buy it!

15. hfeuhfz7342hf724

hfeuhfz7342hf724 Noisemaker

Copy protection even drives me away from buying hardware - I'd love to buy some Arturia stuff (Spark and their Analog Factory bundled keyboards), but I don't want to have their copy protection shit on my machine, so I pass (and buy me a Maschine instead of Spark for example.. :bleh: )

I'd buy Cubase the day they drop the dongle - but I know that this will never happen (likewise I guess it will never cracked either) - so I get my hopes high that some day Studio One will have Cubases power. :wink:

16. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

Audio Damage for example. i had never bought EOS, without testing the demo - the fixed version.
    so chances to buy a plugin/software i cant test is with that zero. *yes*

17. PYRUS MALUS

PYRUS MALUS Noisemaker

Ditto

18. sofakingkiller

sofakingkiller Newbie

paying for each version is also a factor, lifetime upgrades is the way to goooo

19. crazydiamond487

crazydiamond487 Ultrasonic

the fact that i will save money for something in a list of 10 things i want... and a few days after it is available on audioz/magesy/proaudiozone for free download, and i just can't buy the 9 other things. i don't want that so i prefer considering i don't need a sample pack or VST when there is already an other one cracked on warez or for free that do the same thing.

but in every case i would never pay for audio software (except few exceptions like twisted tools maybe), i spend that money in hardware and midi controllers which are already really expansive. buying everything legally in audio software is possible if you earn around 3500 dollars per month, which is not the case now for all the students like me. maybe later...

20. SillySausage

SillySausage Producer

that's what the wife keeps telling me!