What criteria make plugins superior to each other?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by hamidkarimi, Apr 13, 2024.

1. hamidkarimi

hamidkarimi Noisemaker

What criteria make plugins superior to each other?

Is sampling rate and bit loss important?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2024
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  3. Barry T

Barry T Producer

1. Sound
    2. Workflow
    3. UI
    4. CPU/RAM usage
    5. Value for money
    6. Customer service from developer

(In order of importance.)

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • List
  4. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Usefulness.

I could list some other criteria but that's always going to be a little ambiguous. You have a plugin that looks cool, sounds great but has a terrible workflow and is a CPU hog, and another one that's the exact opposite. Which one is superior? Well...The answer may vary depending on who you are, what you're using the plugin for, and a bunch of other things.

in the end the plugin that's most useful to you is superior. Simple as that.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • List
  5. Lieglein

Lieglein Audiosexual

If you can repetitively use it in the same context and situations for the rest of your life, you can keep it.
    If you use a different one next month because of any other reason you can delete both.

6. hamidkarimi

hamidkarimi Noisemaker

By workflow, do you mean the speed of plug-in execution and the use of computer resources? Is the delay less in quality criteria? Please tell me more and share your thoughts, thanks

7. 4096

4096 Platinum Record

I got Softube Widener and use it now instead of Ozone Imager.

Why?

1. More features
    2. Neat UI
    3. I like Softube (all their plugins so far sound better compared to alternatives, like their dbx sounds nicer than the UA one).
    4. When new Ozone comes out you don't have to keep the old version of Ozone in order for your old projects to open correctly.

It really depends on what you like. For me all of the above makes Widener superior to Ozone Imager.

Non-starters for some people (like iLok) are completely ok with me, as long as it's not Cloud/dongle only (This usually applies to UAD Native, Sonnox Oxford, McDSP, Empirical Labs and probably some others).

8. ArticStorm

ArticStorm Moderator Staff Member

i have these criteria, not in this order

GUI
    Workflow
    unqiue feature set
    Darkmode!!!
    Easy Protection/stupid Protections (iLok, serial, webauth --> offline mode, CR)
    Offline Mode
    CPU usage
    RAM usage
    Freedom of creating sounds, no XP Bullshit

Example: GUI vs feature set
    Volumeshaper 4 vs Shaperbox 2/3
    i hate that they cramped everything in one plugin, volumeshaper 4 is forward to use for me, i see no reason to update to Shaperbox, since i dont need more features, i need this volume control and nothing else.

Usually there are more factors, like Offline Mode+Protection out weighting a feature-set ...

Or for example Trash remake by Izotope, the GUI is so bad imo and the reduced featureset, no longer VST2 support, so im still using Trash 2 as long as i can ...

Or Massive vs Massive X: GUI vs CPU usage
    Massive has a painful small GUI for today and some darkmode would be nice, but Massive uses a lot less CPU in the init presets, if it does so, it will most likely use less CPU for more advance, also due to be older, RAM usage is less. I am satisfied with Massives feature set, no need of the new features of the Massive X for me, also these Expansion, not important for me.
    And with Massive having VST2 x64, its future proof ...

These are most of the time new version vs. old version for me.

Right now i have no example for Product X vs Product Y from a different company.
    Probably some EQ A vs EQ B or compressor A vs compressor B might be a good idea.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  9. mk_96

mk_96 Audiosexual

Yeah, i guess you could call it that, basically a "better" workflow means less or easier steps to get what you want.

I'm assuming you ment latency? Then yes...maybe. Again, that's why i said going too specific with criteria things become ambiguous. A longer latency is usually a bad thing, but does it really matter for what you're doing? Sometimes plugins introduce latency to be lighter on resources, would you rather have zero latency and have the plugin use more CPU? Then which one is superior? Does latency or CPU usage affect you at all? Like i said, it depends on your preferences and what you're doing, but the one that's more useful to you wins.

10. boingy99

boingy99 Kapellmeister

Hype mostly.
    Oh, and marketing bullshit.

11. Stevie Dude

Stevie Dude Audiosexual

tbh I never really put too much thought into that, you know how they say when you start comparing things (for which is superior rather their differences), all of it will go to shit I'll be running out of plugin to use if I only use the best the perfect plugin ever. that's what happened to 808 and 303 back in their early days and look what happens now.

12. hamidkarimi

hamidkarimi Noisemaker

Hallo, nein, so ist es nicht. Auch analoge Emulator-Plugins verwenden interne Bit-Crusher

13. Djord Emer

Djord Emer Audiosexual

I'd say workflow/UX is king to me, I avoid using tools that supposedly sound great but are a pain to tweak and have a fuck load of dumb DRM cluttering my system. Otherwise, I also value customer support and convenience, that's why I don't use AA or UAD. This might sound controversial but sound... is not that important to me compared to UX, there's always a convenient alternative that accomplishes the same thing and trust me neither I nor anyone here would consistently differentiate them in a proper AB test. So, I don't even bother with that nowadays.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  14. canbi

canbi Ultrasonic

less amount of knobs

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  15. Corporateslag

Corporateslag Member

if it works for what i need it to do

16. ARTHEMISC

ARTHEMISC Producer

Usually I put those plugins on certain (usually based on genre) mixing/mastering scenario. And not always testing it using sine wave or something like that.
    If sound good, nice UI, improve my workflow, and boost my creativity, I will keep certain plugins for the next certain mixing/mastering scenario.
    That's how I found "superior plugins" to each other.

But actually if the plugins not good on one genre mixing scenario, it doesn't mean not good on other genre mixing scenario.
    For example, I use different plugins when I mixing vintage music. And use another different plugins when I mixing metal music. And I found different plugins when I mixing EDM music. etc.

Good luck.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love it! Love it! x 1
    • List
  17. Lois Lane

Lois Lane Audiosexual

Most of what I do happens with an analog signal chain...mic to preamp to compressor these days, but I rely on the same plugins after that to process tracks. Over the years I've tested zillions of vst thanks to the other place and haven't really budged in years with a few exceptions like FirComp2 and Quantum 2772 Evolution which are appreciated additions. So, I guess my definition of superior is what sounds sweet to my ear and advantageous in terms or workflow. Most of my plugins by now are fairly in the realm of "set and forget" only tweaking for tempo when it comes to compressors, delays and reverbs. Most of my experiments are fete accompli besides any synthesis sound design using my analog or vst instruments. There my imagination can run with the wolves and howl at a harvest moon.

18. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

cute interface
    coupons for upgrade included in purchase
    ability to add more bits by clicking paypal button in interface
    cute names
    3 d interface with ai helps you do what you want do before you know you want to do it.
    comes with a bag of crisps and a six pack
    has badge on package stating "superior to other plugins!!!!"
    Celebrity endorsements
    Buy 10 get 1 free offer in box
    developer has bribed youtubers for positive reviews
    has intricate install procedure involving a hardware lock and yoga poses required for installation
    will only work on odd days of the week
    has authentic seal of approval from Professor Farnsworth

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. pratyahara

pratyahara Guest

That it is clear and unambiguous what its task is.
    That it performs that task to the full extent.
    That it does nothing else, which is not strictly related to that task.
    That it provides clear insight and full control of its functions.
    That it is unique in its class.
    That it has a useful, precise and interactive graphic display.
    That the distortion parameters are minimal.

20. woggle

woggle Noisemaker

also being able to transfer the license is important. I am increasingly reluctant to buy anything that I can't resell later on

21. Kate Middleton

Kate Middleton Kapellmeister

i would say sound quality and how much they load the cpu