What collaborative software? (os/daw independent)

Discussion in 'Working with Sound' started by Moleman, Feb 20, 2024.

1. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

Hi all

i'm looking to collaborate over the internet with a mixing sound engineer as i progress on recording and mixing a song project in my daw (Studio One) in order to better prepare the song project for mastering and being advised in real time for mixing and effects tips here and there.

for this, i'm looking for a software that would allow me to share my desktop screen AND audio in best possible quality and at lowest latency possible?

for example i would like to start the playback of my song project in the daw and demonstrate to the other party what im doing on the screen as i modify settings of plugins and how it affects the audio on this track and or instrument here and there, the other party should be able to listen to it in real time and provide feedback on how and what i should do or not or do better to achieve this or that.

i have already tried Zoom, but it was very much disappointing as it was good for anything except for audio/music making people like us. Whatsapp ? meh.. only for hand held devices, but the sound still sucks there, uhh maybe just privately streaming on youtube ?? or else ? idk..

i hope i was clear at explaining what i'm trying to achieve.

looking forward for suggestions solutions and options.

im on windows here

TIA

Last edited: Feb 20, 2024
  3. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

after lots of testing, here's my suggestion:

if you manage to configure secure VPN server/client - so your both computers behaved as if in one local network - then Reaper's ReaStream VST plugin can do low-latency almost-lossless audio and MIDI streaming over network from within your DAWs,
    then, separately you could run some VNC solution for screen sharing (and control eventually), again designed for local network, so you'd need VPN again,
    quality/consistency will depend on internet download+upload speed on both sites

EDIT: also free NDI Tools are great way to provide high quality low latency video streaming over LAN, I sometimes even use NDI HX Camera and NDI HX Capture to send iPhone's camera or phone screen (for more interactive tutorials)
    EDIT 2: I think now NDI also features Audio Direct set of plugins for DAW integration

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  4. Choosename

Choosename Platinum Record

If you are looking to: "to collaborate over the internet with a mixing sound engineer as i progress on recording and mixing a song project in my daw"

This is what you are looking for, is a sublime tool: RustDesk - The Open Source Remote Desktop Access Software
    And for the audio: https://sonobus.net/
    or https://audiogridder.com/
    All free, opensource, multiplatform tools

And paid tools:
    https://www.sessionwire.com/
    https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/Product_Connector/
    Blue Cat's Fader Hub
    Blue Cat's Freeceiver

• Like Like x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. Xupito

Xupito Audiosexual

I think perhaps some answers are not about what the OP asks.
    He says to share screen and audio over the internet. Not to distribute processing over a small LAN like ReaStream, Vienna, etc. Different topic.

I suggest the "standard video stream software" OBS. Battle-tested by millions of users on Twitch that stream games and stuff while they play. Well, how to set-up the connection could be more work.

• Like Like x 3
    • Interesting Interesting x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  6. Legotron

Legotron Audiosexual

• List
  7. orbitbooster

orbitbooster Audiosexual

I guess you can use Zoom or Obs for video and and Asio Link Pro router to send audio via network.
    You'll have a small latency, but audio quality will be as source.

I use to send audio from a PC to another within lan, but you can send it over wan if you know the IP address of the receiver.

Of course both of you must install it and the full duplex audio can be a bit difficult to setup.

8. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

Like @Xupito said, OBS is what you want and then just stream via Youtube or Twitch like this:

9. Mechanix604

Mechanix604 Kapellmeister

For audio https://www.sonobus.net

We currently use Chrome remote desktop for remote and screen sharing. Previously anydesk or Teamviewer. but both only work reliably if you pay.

@Choosename
    overlooked your post...

I dont know rustdesk yet. thanks for that

10. clone

clone Audiosexual

I think you should get a video of the types of artist/s you like doing a track and keeping up with them as it plays. At this point, you would probably feel like I do about the idea. I'm going to install and run software that will do nothing but slow down my computer. After that works, you can watch. Maybe even tell me what to do. It sounds like either giving or taking lessons.

I would rather figure out a way to integrate the work from one persons software to the next, and back. You do not really need an in-depth knowledge of someone else's preferred DAW software. So you can spend the time on setting up all this stuff; or just learn someone else's DAW enough so that you can swap projects or stems....

You have 2 people, 2 computers and probably 2 sets of software and instruments , and you can use stuff from both. You need a bridge between them. 2 people on one computer is crazy. Via internet is even worse. If someone is slow, I don't know how you can sit and watch another person work. :suicide:

It's sounds like a cool idea, but I think it would be one hundred percent counterproductive to making and producing music.
    The more times you bounce it back and forth, the more disjointed it will become. You could just make deadlines to switch files, and get way way more done by 2 people using 2 computers working on 2 songs.

• List
  11. DontKnowJack

DontKnowJack Producer

For actual musical collaborations, there is the free plugin Satellite for this: https://mixedinkey.com/satellite/

Splice also used to have a cross platform collaboration system but I believe they nuked it.

But OP seems to be wanting to share and demonstrate visually so streaming would probably be better suited. :dunno:

Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
  12. Moleman

Moleman Platinum Record

thanks to all for the suggestions i will go through and try those.