What can i improve and how?

Discussion in 'Our Music' started by DDHARD, Aug 16, 2016.

1. DDHARD

DDHARD Ultrasonic

3. peterA

peterA Platinum Record

Is that a level meter at the bottom - the one that is going way into the red? Maybe that's why it sounds horribly distorted. Not sure 2 minutes of a distorted riff counts as a viable track so maybe I'm not the best person to comment any further.

4. Burninstar

Burninstar Platinum Record

Yikes!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  5. Pepper

Pepper Newbie

6. MMJ2017

MMJ2017 Audiosexual

Hello this is my first post to the forum so i hope it comes across the correct way.

your recording is badly distorting, you have to have better studio monitors that you are cirrently using, in order to hear the fine grain detail at the atomic level of the music, i can recommend Equator D5 active nearfeild studio monitors they are flat and very detailed and inexpensive http://www.ebay.com/itm/Equator-Aud...520994?hash=item2eff2b4362:g:5pAAAOSwol5YxDgB

next you want to get high definition headphones or in ear monitors to use as a reference for the tiniest fine grain detail inside of the music as well as what it will end up sounding on regular peoples ear buds , they will end up hearing just a cloudier version of what you hear in high definition i recommend Avantone Pro Mp1 headphones
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Avantone-Pr...962402?hash=item5d6d22e6e2:g:XyEAAOSwopRYgrXR

both these items as inexpensive as possible while being as high quality as other products more than 2 or 3 times more expensive, i hope this helps .

in summary you currently are having difficulty hearing the atomic detail of sound playing back as you are working on your mixes and masters, because of this you are not hearing the distortion and crackling inside of the music , you can get good monitors and headphones to use together , then be able to hear the atomic tiny detail in your sound regular speakers is missing. if you have any other questions i hope i can help.

a quick reference about meters and headroom

keep your volume output at the track level at -6 db rms
    second keep your master volume meter reading at -6 db rms
    third keep a spectrum analyzer on your master fader in order to see the frequency response as another type of meter for which you can display in real-time the visual representation of bass mids and treble of the playback ( before it hits speakers and room thats changes the sound)

7. Resonator

Resonator Kapellmeister

What is it you want to improve on ?
    Search this site for lots of threads on what your wanting to achieve is one suggestion. Another is ask more specific question's to what you think you want to learn to help you , and another is copy others until you understand what your copying, If it's for sound then get some industry standard reference headphones so you hear the detail better and use in conjunction with your speakers, it's cheaper than buying a set of high end monitors which you can save up for eventually, as if your serious you'll no doubt need along with a treated listening environment. each won't work without the other. You can only improve by hard work and creating what you want to hear. So work towards that and copy influences you think you want to incorporate into your own music. Musicianship, Composition, Technical Production, Roles of Producers will all be useful and even a interest in physics of sound and sound and technology's ofdifferent equipment all help.
    Keep it fun and it's not always quite as much hard work as it seems at first. But you do need to develop a sense of discipline to make steady progress.

8. junh1024

junh1024 Rock Star

It's actually not that bad. Red = last 3dBs or so. Overall, if there are NO FX on the file, and judging from the waveform alone, this is OK. I've seen a lot worse with waveforms looking like complete bricks like this: http://www.cdmasteringservices.com/images/10.1.gif

The distortion is prolly cased by lossy compression.