What can i do to make my tracks better?

Discussion in 'Mixing and Mastering' started by Jesus Rivera, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

right now i have some great demos with great melodies but when it comes to productions i'm not doing so good what can i do to make a better mix

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 2
    • List
  3. AwDee.0

AwDee.0 Kapellmeister

Saturate...

4. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

Don't use headphones.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
    • List
  5. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

Mix 100 tracks. Seriously. If you try each time to mix at your best you can do, towards the end chances are your tracks will sound professional. There is really no other shortcut in developing your ears to be sensitive to +/- 1dB boosts or cuts (in level or EQ) - these small values can make or break a mix.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • List
  6. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

• Useful Useful x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

What about compression? does it make your sound better. when it comes to compression and EQ i don't know what is first.

8. rhythmatist

rhythmatist Audiosexual

Honestly, check out the tutorial site I posted. The guy covers these types of questions.

9. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

which are are better tools to master ozone 7 or waves.

10. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

It's MASTERing not NOOBering so don't bother with it for a long while.

11. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

That's is a good website thanks

12. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

For me is to create a good
    I know what is mastering and mixing but when it comes to put it the mix does not sound good for me. adding EQ can change your song.

13. jayxflash

jayxflash Guest

... but should I use submixing busses? should I compress them? should I send them for parallel processing? should I mix mono then switch to stereo? should I use M/S? should I use multiband compressor? should I use dynamic EQ? should I use insert reverb or as a send effect?

You see... there is a never ending stream of questions. And the answer is always yes and no. Everything is related to everything in a mix. Each step always depends... on everything. That's why I said to mix & listen. If you use already compressed samples, maybe you won't need a compressor on the bus. Same if the synth has compressor (and is active). And there are countless other cases when you don't need a compressor.

There is no tool that will make the sound better, it will only make the sound different. In time, you'll realise what tool goes for what kind of sound. Sometimes you need EQ then compressor then EQ again. In other cases you lose the first EQ because the compressor has certain sidechaing listening settings which allow for selective/disproportional listening of the audio spectrum.

But really there's no advice out there to teach you how to listen, how to be creative and how to take decisions. That trust in your own sound comes for absolutely anyone after mixing towards hundred of tracks and listening hundreds/thousands of hours. It's not a lot, you just have to be patient and to enjoy the ride :)

• Like Like x 5
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • List
  14. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

That's a really good point.

15. ( . ) ( . )

( . ) ( . ) Audiosexual

the only thing you can do is just keep practicing and making as many bad tracks as you can until you figure it out and it clicks and you discover techniques and tricks along the way. Also to give you a push just find some youtube tutorials on making mixes better. Listen to lots of music and train your ears to distinguish fidelity, quality, transparency and processing. Git Gud.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  16. statik

statik Audiosexual

it can even be that others will like a mix that you thought was really bad, FE: one of my first tracks that got published on a compilation album and got picked up by dj's had this punk-like sound that i thought wasnt that good but people loved it, a couple of years later i made a polished up version of the track and tried to get it published by the guy who made the compilation but he rejected it cause he liked that raw punk-like sound a lot more and i realized that for that track it just worked even though it wasnt the sound i was going for at the time

17. thantrax

thantrax Audiosexual

My suggestions:

■ Relax your ears/mind (make some breaks)
    ■ Don't use headphones only (ears fatigue)
    ■ Drums layering (2 kicks, 2/3 snares etc)
    ■ Cut before boost (EQ)
    ■ Use low end mono (EQ/compression)
    ■ Don't destroy dynamic (compression)
    ■ Saturate (with care and only if you know wath you are doing)
    ■ Learn how Mid/Side EQ is powerful
    ■ Listen to it on different devices (smartphone, tablet, pc/laptop speakers, mono device)
    ■ ...no guarantee... it is not like using a toaster :)

Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  18. retroboy

retroboy Producer

My advice is to simply play about with EQ/ Compression/ FX until you think sounds better!

There is no "magic button" to fix everything so just keep experimenting.

One thing I've learnt over the years is "less is more" when it comes to a mix.

19. Jesus Rivera

Jesus Rivera Member

yeah That's what i'm going to do, The idea is to be better in production so far there is no plugin that can make magic. What i'm thinking right now is not add a lot compression or EQ.

20. fraifikmushi

fraifikmushi Guest

That was not the point. Mastering is usualy done by engineers with years of experience of the craft under their belt. Concentrate becoming profficient in every other aspect of producing first, and after the years that took you're ready for mastering. Plus, if you're really good at mixing mastering becomes rather optional.

21. solo83

solo83 Platinum Record

This. Get you a nice pair of monitors, and some treatment wherever you're producing and let your ears do the rest.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • List