what can i do to fix this?

Discussion in 'Linux' started by realitybytez, Oct 31, 2020.

1. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

recently i took an old computer that was used for a windows 7 htpc and converted it to linux. it was running great with linux mint on it. i'm not sure why, but i chose to encrypt the hard drive and i wrote the password on a piece of paper. unfortunately my wife decided to clean up my desk and threw away that piece of paper. there was nothing of value on the computer so i just want to start over. is there a way to install a new version of linux on that encrypted had drive? or is that hard drive now just a paperweight?

3. Paul Pi

Paul Pi Audiosexual

As far as i am aware, other than completely reformatting the drive (well, the encrypted partition at the very least) you should be ok. Of course the data on the encrypted partition will be lost, but from what you say above that shouldn't really matter...

4. realitybytez

realitybytez Audiosexual

thanks, i have nothing at all on that drive except mint. i didn't even get a chance to mess around with the computer before my wife threw away the password. i wasn't sure if i could format an encrypted drive.

5. Daskeladden

Daskeladden Rock Star

You probably can format the drive with for example Acronis usb software. You probably have to use a software that can boot on itself and don't need a OS to boot. You can change the boot order in the bios. Then boot from the Acronis usb, and just choose to completely format the drive

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
  6. Recoil

Recoil Guest

Best Answer
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  7. Gyro Gearloose

Gyro Gearloose Audiosexual

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4