What browser are you using? (2024 edition)

Discussion in 'PC' started by Barncore, Jan 5, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Barncore

Barncore Platinum Record

This video got my brain ticking on reassessing my main browser:

I've been using Brave browser for 2+ yrs. It's good, i like it. Good built-in privacy/security features.

My biggest issue - and it's not Brave's fault necessarily - is managing the hundreds of tabs i have open at any one time.
    It affects performance, but also it makes my mind feel cluttered.
    I need a way to organise it all. But i don't know what i don't know in that department. So i thought i'd throw it to the hivemind again.

What are you using? And are you using it for the privacy element or the performance element? Or some other reason?

One browser that the video mentioned is Vivaldi which i'd never heard of before. Looks like it could be an interesting way to manage tabs.
    Also the "hardened" versions of Firefox are appealing too.

3. Garamondo Furbish

Garamondo Furbish Audiosexual

a very un-updated version of firefox, which typically nags me about 10 times a day. Also Brave browser.
    doesn't everybody have at least 2 or 3 browsers on their internet facing computer????

4. samsum

samsum Producer

Microsoft Edge for normal stuff with Sleeping Tabs turned on. You can set http (address links) for the ones you don't want to go to sleep and use DuckDuckGo Home Page and use Brave for Sister Site, here and Tor-rents etc. All Chrome Extensions work on Edge, Brave too and use an extension called OneTab which lets you close all of your open tabs which are then saved to the left hand side when you click on the OneTab icon/button so you can open them later or even export the links
    onetab-2.jpg

5. tzzsmk

tzzsmk Audiosexual

Brave - primarily because adblocking on phones/tablets where browser extensions don't really exist, and on desktop it's not that bad (although I have some performance problems in both Windows and MacOS, not sure if botched hardware acceleration or codecs, especially YouTube randomly feels choppy

I rarely use Opera thanks to its built-in VPN, sometimes websites just don't like my current IP address or geolocation xD

I'm planning to try Waterfox, but I don't think websites are optimized for non-Chromium browsers nowadays

PS: I'm more concerned about DNS resolutions - testing custom Pi-Hole setup with recursive DNS, rules and filters - in 21st century internet speed isn't a problem, but tracking/telemetry/spying/ads are, so having websites bloated is annoyance
    :chilling: